Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The new Lexus GX550 factory tour.

GrumpyCat

One of the YouTube channels that I subscribe to is Hagerty & they have posted a video with Larry Chen at the assembly line.

I've put it here in General Discussions as it's such a new model so Mods please move it if required to the correct section. 

Fascinating insight into the Japanese efficiency & the different assembly stations with the 'Just in time' & 'Kaizen' methods. 

It did surprise me that the GX550 is a body on frame design i.e. separate chassis with the separate body attached.

Enjoy: https://youtu.be/ikKByP6H_58?feature=shared

Screenshot_20231203_214722_com.brave.browser.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GrumpyCat said:

I've put it here in General Discussions as it's such a new model so Mods please move it if required to the correct section. 

It's as good a place as any given it isn't coming to the UK so there won't be a dedicated forum for it.

14 minutes ago, GrumpyCat said:

It did surprise me that the GX550 is a body on frame design i.e. separate chassis with the separate body attached.

All the Land Cruisers and derivatives are this design.

I didn't say it was coming here........ yet. The American MSRP for the GX 550 is $62,900 for Premium, $67,900 for Premium +, $75,900 for Luxury, $79,900 for Luxury +, $67,900 for Overland, and $75,900 for Overland+.

So with the current exchange rates that's £49,508 to £62,999. Seems to be excellent value when compared with the current Range Rover & Mercedes G Wagon. 

Maybe other forum members will be interested with the manufacturing process? 

44 minutes ago, GrumpyCat said:

I didn't say it was coming here........ yet

I didn't say you did?????

46 minutes ago, GrumpyCat said:

Yes, it's a cool video. If people get a chance to have a tour of the Derby Toyota plant they should definitely take up the offer.

https://www.toyotauk.com/community/public-visits/burnaston/

5 hours ago, GrumpyCat said:

I didn't say it was coming here........ yet. The American MSRP for the GX 550 is $62,900 for Premium, $67,900 for Premium +, $75,900 for Luxury, $79,900 for Luxury +, $67,900 for Overland, and $75,900 for Overland+.

So with the current exchange rates that's £49,508 to £62,999. Seems to be excellent value when compared with the current Range Rover & Mercedes G Wagon. 

It never works like that - when converting US prices you can bet it will be same amount in £ +10,000. 

So if GX would come to UK, it would start from something like £72,000 and even that is a little bit optimistic. Remember - Lexus RX starts at £62,000 and it is smaller model in the range. 

That said... again... I am a little bit baffled with Lexus decision making. Surely they can sell more GXs than LMs, as UK is quite hot for large luxury SUVs at the moment and as you mentioned even at £72,000 GX550 would be very competitive considering G-Class and Range Rover easily goes past £100,000. 

@ColinBarberDidn't expect that Toyota would offer a factory tour, now that would be interesting.

I've always fancied doing the Morgan factory tour with a Morgan rental car the next day to explore the local area.

@Linas.PRR list one up to £191,860 without the Bespoke customisation! The world's gone mad. 

That RR or Bentley sells their cars for £200k that is not a surprise to anybody, they always been for people with more money than brain... you know "ball kicking types".

But G-Wagen and Range Rover mean to be utilitarian cars, rugged and able to go to muddy country side, G-Wage was literally military truck... how comes people pay £100k+ for them nowadays and drive them for 5 miles to school run with 5L+ engines is beyond any reasonable explanation.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links