Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Very high miles LC!

Brian R

1 hour ago, Brian R said:

Thought this article might be of interest to those who worry about putting on the miles:

200K miles and counting

Lexus V8s are just invincible with proper and preventative maintenance  🤩

and it really is best just to use them every day if possible 

Malc

• Like 1

If only in the days when I did on avearge 50Kmiles a year in my company Cav, I had a V8 Lexus instead I would have been a very happy (and lucky) chap.  Most of my Cavs were tired after 18 months, and in one where I did 72,000 in one year it was more or less a bit of a wreck, but I did always rev through the gears, where as the Lexus V8 is so 'lazy' that no need to rag it to get going, which is why 200, 500K is nothing to worry about. 

However I am not sure yet I like the look of the LS500 or the LC, so not going to be on my Xmas present request list yet

• Haha 1

Lazy V8 by comparison …… or whatever, I can’t believe the fresh Lexus engineering will provide anything less than thoroughly reliable and robust amazing driving …… residual values tho’ …… deep pockets will always be needed to buy these Lexus Top of the Range outstanding motorists dreams ……. and at some stage, years  down the line, …… one will be able to have TWO toys to play with 🤩

Malc 

8 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

There is nothing lazy about the F engine used in the LC500. Worlds apart from an LS400 V8.

I think it is less to do with engine and more to do with gearbox... 1UZ is quite happy to rev as well, just perhaps now when mated oldschool 4-speed automatic. 

As for LC500, I have no doubt it could do 200k... especially when this mileage accumulated so quickly it must be mostly highway driving... which tend to be very easy on cars anyway. As long as it get's regular service, there should be nothing unexpected.

I think the only irony is that guy put protective wrap after all the paint was chipped, not before...  

That said - what an amazing choice if one can afford it, I can't think of better car if you doing such astronomical mileages, could not be anything worse than drive so much in some shaitebox, but in LC500 is really as good as it gets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

I think it is less to do with engine and more to do with gearbox... 1UZ is quite happy to rev as well, just perhaps now when mated oldschool 4-speed automatic. 

A bit of both really. The V8s in LSs have never been tuned for performance, whereas the engine in the LC was originally designed for track use and gets close to the magically 100 bhp per litre for an NA engine - and seemingly without sacrificing reliability, although as you say 200k motorway miles sitting under 2,000 rpm isn't going to stress any modern engine.

Not that these engines are bullet proof. Exhaust manifold cracks and valley plate leaks aren't uncommon but these are more related to age and number of heat cycles rather than pure mileage, and its possible that these issues have been corrected on the latest variant of the engine that is in the LC - only time will tell.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

There is nothing lazy about the F engine used in the LC500. Worlds apart from an LS400 V8.

Maybe I should have said 'chilled', in that it just does it's work quite calmly until you press that pedal and it just gets up and goes.

Having driven a number of USA V6 and V8s always felt like they wanted to shout at you even when they were pootling along, I get that some of that was exhaust design but the 1UZ beats IMHO most engines into a cocked hat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Not that these engines are bullet proof. Exhaust manifold cracks and valley plate leaks aren't uncommon but these are more related to age and number of heat cycles rather than pure mileage, and its possible that these issues have been corrected on the latest variant of the engine that is in the LC - only time will tell.

Cracking exhaust manifold seems like a QC issue on exhaust supplier. I know IS-F had, does this still exist on RC-F?

I would have thought Lexus should have resolved that by the time LC launched... that said in grand scheme of things it isn't complicated issue to fix, I know it can get expensive and involved as many things have to get removed to access the cracks, but it is not like engine bearing issues, or something more fundamental with engine design. Exhaust manifold is either leaking or it is not leaking, it is pretty binary and fix is obvious. 

As for 1UZ tuning, yes I agree that in form of LS400 it wasn't highly tuned from factory, but it is tuneable. If I am not mistaken - when Lexus raced SC back in 2000s, they used 1UZ as the basis and not 3UZ, although that would be semantics anyway. By that I mean - the design of these engines is fundamentally good and capable of making power and revving out, they just didn't came in that state of tune in limousine (which makes sense). Still in case of LS400 I am sure that most of perceived laziness comes from gearbox, but attach same engine to manual gearbox and it is quite happy to rev and responsive. Not that it is comparable to 2UR, or needs to be. 

5 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Cracking exhaust manifold seems like a QC issue on exhaust supplier. I know IS-F had, does this still exist on RC-F?

Not heard of any reports yet but takes 10+ years to occur on the IS-F so still a little too early to call it. It is a different part but fundamentally the same design as before, however some people have used the newer design to fix their IS-F based on the fact that it should be no worse and hopefully better than the original.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links