Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice on buying an RX400h

Very unusual to see a one owner car at such low mileage and if the MOT and service records match no reason to assume it's not genuine, but nonetheless it is now a relatively old car and age related issues such as rubber suspension components, CV boots etc may well be degrading.

No idea on price, I do recall there may have been some previous posts about mixed experiences with this particular dealer.

It looks very clean and tidy but possibly superficial. To me it looks like the wheels, brake discs, callipers and wheel arches have all be recently sprayed (to cover up corrosion), but was it done properly? Certainly the wheels have just been sprayed with an aerosol rather than being properly refurbished (you can see the overspray on the tyres) so the finish might not last that long.

These vehicles, at this age, are prone to corrosion on the sills and underneath - you want to make sure this metalwork is sound, not just had a layer of underseal sprayed over corrosion.

These RX are also now prone to water ingress due to failing body seams and rear light seals - check the boot well for any water.

Price seems high, but it is low mileage. Personally I'd prefer a newer vehicle with more miles as age is the bigger issue.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Very unusual to see a one owner car at such low mileage and if the MOT and service records match no reason to assume it's not genuine, but nonetheless it is now a relatively old car and age related issues such as rubber suspension components, CV boots etc may well be degrading.

No idea on price, I do recall there may have been some previous posts about mixed experiences with this particular dealer.

Thanks very much for this, very helpful  info👍

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It looks very clean and tidy but possibly superficial. To me it looks like the wheels, brake discs, callipers and wheel arches have all be recently sprayed (to cover up corrosion), but was it done properly? Certainly the wheels have just been sprayed with an aerosol rather than being properly refurbished (you can see the overspray on the tyres) so the finish might not last that long.

These vehicles, at this age, are prone to corrosion on the sills and underneath - you want to make sure this metalwork is sound, not just had a layer of underseal sprayed over corrosion.

These RX are also now prone to water ingress due to failing body seams and rear light seals - check the boot well for any water.

Price seems high, but it is low mileage. Personally I'd prefer a newer vehicle with more miles as age is the bigger issue.

Thanks for this, I hadn't notice the overspray but it's blindly obvious, that alone is a enough to put me off. I'll keep searching and thanks for your quick response..

Hi Nick.  It certainly looks a nice, tidy & well kept car and not a heavy 'lady Doctor' as the driver's seat bolster has stood up well. Looks like some black underseal of sorts on there too, that could be a plus unless it's covering up something nasty.

There's the old sales cobblers about it being "the best colour combination" which is purely subjective.  I'm not sure it's worth the price advertised but I would guess Elite will say that you're paying for the low mileage.  Mileage is nothing on these cars, condition means a lot though.

Andrew's right about Elite, they have a debatable reputation and I doubt they will accept any offers so if you're keen be prepared to pay full price.  Probably not worth the trip from Gloucestershire in my opinion as I think Colin is correct, I too would prefer an even slightly newer vehicle with more miles - which is what I bought in Dec '23.

Good Luck in your search & Season's Greetings.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, this one has a appeared at Lexus in Edgware (Ironically, a few 100yds from my old junior school). Any thoughts anyone has, most appreciated: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312084656390?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=relevance&postcode=gl116ad

10 hours ago, ElectricBlue said:

So, this one has a appeared at Lexus in Edgware (Ironically, a few 100yds from my old junior school). Any thoughts anyone has, most appreciated: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312084656390?fromSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=relevance&postcode=gl116ad

It has a good MOT history - if it comes with a Lexus 1 year warranty then it could be a good buy. Top price but you should get the reassurance of a Lexus warranty.

The AutoTrader advert says it's above market price, so I would look to negotiate that down, not typical dealer stock so I suspect they will want to offload it quickly.

Some interior cuts & scuffs so don't be fooled by low mileage or the 'Executive Limited Edition' that doesn't offer much more than a standard SE-L.  I'd still be checking door shuts & underside for corrosion.  Never heard of Triangle Advante SUV tyres, they're poorly rated and cheap, check if they're all the same or has just one been bought as a fill in.  Might soon need replacing for a 'proper' brand (that's £600+).  Also ask about drive belt & water pump replacement, if not done already they will need replacing imminently (more money).  Good shout by David about the Lexus warranty.

Well overpriced in my view, especially for what is clearly a trade-in, but it is a dealership sale so to be expected I guess!  Barter.  Try playing the 'old junior school' card! 😁  Good luck. 😉

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sundance said:

Some interior cuts & scuffs so don't be fooled by low mileage or the 'Executive Limited Edition' that doesn't offer much more than a standard SE-L. 

Never heard of Triangle Advante SUV tyres, they're poorly rated and cheap, Might soon need replacing for a 'proper' brand (that's £600+).  

ask about drive belt & water pump replacement, if not done already they will need replacing imminently (more money).  

Good spot Rowley. 

Interestingly, I was told that Steven Eagell Lexus dealers have more freedom to offer older cars for sale compared with Marshalls - not sure about Edgware (?)

18 hours ago, ElectricBlue said:

To be honest, for that kind of money I'd be looking at a 450h. They seem to be less prone to corrosion and leak issues, especially if you're not partcularly wedded to the need for a sunroof and/or roof bars.

I was in the same position a couple of years ago and was looking at 400hs, albeit at lower prices. In the end I upped my budget to £10k and got a 450h in great condition, and haven't regretted it.

On 1/15/2024 at 5:09 PM, Bluemarlin said:

To be honest, for that kind of money I'd be looking at a 450h. They seem to be less prone to corrosion and leak issues, especially if you're not partcularly wedded to the need for a sunroof and/or roof bars.

I was in the same position a couple of years ago and was looking at 400hs, albeit at lower prices. In the end I upped my budget to £10k and got a 450h in great condition, and haven't regretted it.

I think that's how I will go. I need a cheap donkey for 18 months which is likely to get abused so the 450h looks like the better shout...Thanks

On 1/15/2024 at 10:19 AM, Spacewagon52 said:

Good spot Rowley. 

Interestingly, I was told that Steven Eagell Lexus dealers have more freedom to offer older cars for sale compared with Marshalls - not sure about Edgware (?)

Thanks for that, I too missed the tyres

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links