Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Back again with an IS250 (no pics, sorry!)

Hi all, 

I'm back again with my 3rd ever IS250! My first was an 2010 IS250 F Sport, then I had a 2008 IS250 SE-L and now I've got a IS250 SE!

It's weird as I've gone a bit backwards in spec, but I'm happy this one at least has the Mark Levinson stereo which I'm unsure of it being common or standard in this lower spec model. I do miss the memory function, xenon's and the electrically adjustable steering adjustment but less to go wrong (making myself feel better!).

Happy to be back in a Lexus, especially in the current market and with my current limited budget!

I'll run the car for a little while and see what needs doing.

• Like 6

Congrats.... these bloody IS250s... they are so good that it is hard to replace them!

It is funny indeed, because I did similar thing 2012 F-Sport > 2010 Premium (it was US AWD, but specs wise like SE-L, but without wood grain), then 2008 SE-L and now 2006 SE-L. So spec. wise I didn't go backward, but age wise older an older.

To be fair it kind of makes sense - second generation Lexus IS250 where pretty much the same throughout the years, fundamentally the same engine, gearbox, power, fuel consumption etc. What changes was only infotainment system, minor things like indicators on mirrors, DLRs, things that honestly do not matter. Infotainment is shaite either way, even back when it was new it was outdated and now it is basically irrelevant whenever it is first or last car that rolled of the line, it would be considered outdated. So it kind of makes sense to go for older model all else (vehicle condition) being equal. 

ML in SE is indeed very unusual and weird, so if memory serves to get ML you had to buy Navigation for £1995 and only then you could put ML option for £1000 (or am I mistaken this for MK3?) So somebody saved £3,000 on SE-L, to then spend them on ML, which to be fair in MK2 makes minor difference considering standard car had 13 speakers and ML only adds 1 speaker in the centre. Sure it goes from something like 375W to 795W in power and clarity is much improved, but apart of that it is not like MK3 that has poverty line 6 speaker stereo which is awful by default. In MK2 ML is really a marginal improvement.

As for less stuff to go wrong - probably not, Lexus are not known as far as stuff going wrong is concerned. Certainly not memory seats, not wheel column - but every little helps I guess!

• Like 4

Older is better and less complicated. like normal lights that don't blind everyone coming the other way instead of LEDs that cost an arm and a leg when they blow. I will keep my older one until something serious goes wrong...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, scudney said:

Welcome back Chan enjoy and all the best 👍 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Congrats.... these bloody IS250s... they are so good that it is hard to replace them!

It is funny indeed, because I did similar thing 2012 F-Sport > 2010 Premium (it was US AWD, but specs wise like SE-L, but without wood grain), then 2008 SE-L and now 2006 SE-L. So spec. wise I didn't go backward, but age wise older an older.

To be fair it kind of makes sense - second generation Lexus IS250 where pretty much the same throughout the years, fundamentally the same engine, gearbox, power, fuel consumption etc. What changes was only infotainment system, minor things like indicators on mirrors, DLRs, things that honestly do not matter. Infotainment is shaite either way, even back when it was new it was outdated and now it is basically irrelevant whenever it is first or last car that rolled of the line, it would be considered outdated. So it kind of makes sense to go for older model all else (vehicle condition) being equal. 

ML in SE is indeed very unusual and weird, so if memory serves to get ML you had to buy Navigation for £1995 and only then you could put ML option for £1000 (or am I mistaken this for MK3?) So somebody saved £3,000 on SE-L, to then spend them on ML, which to be fair in MK2 makes minor difference considering standard car had 13 speakers and ML only adds 1 speaker in the centre. Sure it goes from something like 375W to 795W in power and clarity is much improved, but apart of that it is not like MK3 that has poverty line 6 speaker stereo which is awful by default. In MK2 ML is really a marginal improvement.

As for less stuff to go wrong - probably not, Lexus are not known as far as stuff going wrong is concerned. Certainly not memory seats, not wheel column - but every little helps I guess!

Yeah, I know! Tempted when we sell my wife's Accord which has been outstanding to replace it for an IS250 too!

I have also had a GS300 and a GS430 (last car) which were great, but they just didn't seem as good an overall package but I do prefer the seats in the GS. I have told myself you can't have it all, again especially with the current market and an unfortunate lower budget currently. 

I was actually dead set on getting a GS250, but I refused to take on more debt when the IS250 is largely the same for perhaps half or less than half the money. If I had the budget, it would have been a different matter! I literally think of the GS250 as the closest only step up from an IS250.

It is very strange re ML, because I have the Nav / ML and rear camera - but no parking sensors front and rear, no memory seats and no electronic telescopic steering (which I know is typical in an SE)!

I guess I was just saying figuratively, I know Lexus is solid hence me having around 5 different ones in the last 4-5 years!

17 minutes ago, Spark plug said:

Older is better and less complicated. like normal lights that don't blind everyone coming the other way instead of LEDs that cost an arm and a leg when they blow. I will keep my older one until something serious goes wrong...

Yeah, I agree. The only challenge is the older halogens, but I may consider testing out Philips Ultinon's despite them not being road legal. Every other tw*t seems to have road legal lights that blind everyone, makes you wonder why laws even exist. Don't even get me started about what happened with my GS, the Police in this country are diabolical. So, I personally see the law as 'malleable' as long as I don't harm others.

20 hours ago, JDM-Fiend said:

Yeah, I agree. The only challenge is the older halogens, but I may consider testing out Philips Ultinon's despite them not being road legal. Every other tw*t seems to have road legal lights that blind everyone, makes you wonder why laws even exist. Don't even get me started about what happened with my GS, the Police in this country are diabolical. So, I personally see the law as 'malleable' as long as I don't harm others.

It seems to be newer cars that have very bright LED headlights that blind me on dark b roads. I live in the country and mostly drive on these types of roads. I'm getting to the stage that I hate driving in the dark and it doesn't help that it gets dark at 4 pm here in winter...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Spark plug said:

It seems to be newer cars that have very bright led headlights that blind me on dark b roads. I live in the country and mostly drive on these types of roads. I'm getting to the stage that I hate driving in the dark and it doesn't help that it gets dark at 4 pm here in winter...

There seems to be particular offenders, I think Qashqai is one and few other mid size SUVs that blinds everyone. Definitely a poorly designed LEDs in dipped beam. To be fair fake Xenox are not as common now, but then you have 2 camps - the idiots that drive with DLR at night and don't understand what the issue is, or the ones that rely solely on auto high-beam and goes around blinding everyone, plus army of people with poorly adjusted lights (some of which are factory job). 

• Like 2

The ones that come around corners knowing you are coming the other way yet wait for the auto dip to kick in and totally blind me before they dip. I've started keeping my beam on when I see them coming now to see how they like it... Seen that too, behind one that uses DLR at night and has no rear lights. Why car makers thought it was a good idea to not have tail lights on with them is beyond me...

• Like 2

Or why our government decided that DLRs will resolve all the problems, rather than simply make into the law to turn on the lights like most of Europe. Once drivers build that habit (and they do in few years) then you don't need technical solutions for simply turning the lights on. That said last Wednesday noticed Prius driving without lights, it was 4PM, but in this time of the year it was already getting kind of dark and then specifically looked to the plate, because it looked like rather new car... sure enough 67 plate. No lights whatsoever... And I am like "wait, but these should have DLRs from factory and it is legal requirement to fit it"... sure it is for any car after 2012, yet people go to extreme lengths disable even the DLRs (I know in US that is popular mod)... I just don't get, why would anyone want to be less visible, sure... too lazy to turn the lights on, because it is not required in UK, but actually take time specifically to disable feature that is there to make everyone safer?! The only saving grace it was white car, so not exactly easy to miss.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spark plug said:

I think Volvo and some other makers had the right idea, their cars even years ago had side and tail lights come on as soon as they started...

That is standard on all cars delivered to Europe between ~2005 and ~2012. My EU spec. IS250 had the same - OFF>Side>ON(Auto), but ON(Auto) means it is dumb switch as soon as you turn the engine on they come on, there is no ambient sensor (well there is, but it is used for dash brightness, not for headlines) And this was the case until DLRs were introduced, then EU/UK spec. became the same again - DLR come as soon as you turn the engine and if your lights are on Auto, they also turn on as dipped beam when it get's dark. I have seen somebody here checking wiring and it is possible to rewire lights in a way that they start automatically and ignores ambient light sensor, which is kind of hit and miss. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2023 at 8:42 PM, Linas.P said:

There seems to be particular offenders, I think Qashqai is one and few other mid size SUVs that blinds everyone. Definitely a poorly designed LEDs in dipped beam. To be fair fake Xenox are not as common now, but then you have 2 camps - the idiots that drive with DLR at night and don't understand what the issue is, or the ones that rely solely on auto high-beam and goes around blinding everyone, plus army of people with poorly adjusted lights (some of which are factory job). 

Plus, the ones with their fog lights on, whatever the weather..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 6:24 PM, JDM-Fiend said:

It is very strange re ML, because I have the Nav / ML and rear camera - but no parking sensors front and rear, no memory seats and no electronic telescopic steering (which I know is typical in an SE)!

Front parking sensors came ONLY on SE-L & Sport models. (if we're talking pre-facelift cars)

Rear parking sensors were an optional extra on SE. 

Navi, ML & Rear cam was also an optional extra. So you could have both, camera AND parking sensors. Most SE's with camera have the rear sensors too, but it was an optional extra, and probably didn't cost a lot since most of them have it.

Memory seats with telescopic steering were not available on SE's.

On 12/25/2023 at 10:18 PM, Linas.P said:

And I am like "wait, but these should have DLRs from factory and it is legal requirement to fit it"... sure it is for any car after 2012, yet people go to extreme lengths disable even the DLRs 

If it was a Prius, there is a very good chance it was JDM import that didn't have DRLs. Spec issue I'd say is more likely than someone went out of their way to turn them off. That'd be stupid, although not surprising🤣

8 hours ago, H3XME said:

If it was a Prius, there is a very good chance it was JDM import that didn't have DRLs. Spec issue I'd say is more likely than someone went out of their way to turn them off. That'd be stupid, although not surprising🤣

Seemed like bog standard UK taxi... is it worth importing Prius from Japan? 

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Seemed like bog standard UK taxi... is it worth importing Prius from Japan? 

They're cheaper and less miles. I see a lot of them by me, but hey are all taxis tbh. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links