Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic Main Beam

Driving across Salisbury Plain last night I was at first reassured that the headlights on our RX automatically adjust from dipped to full beam when there are no oncoming cars or street lighting.  

But the lights are too slow to revert to dipped beam when a car approaches and often didn’t dip at all, but stayed on full beam.  So much so that we became very unpopular with oncoming traffic and had to switch to manual operation. 

Is it possible to adjust the speed and sensitivity of the automatic headlamp system to make it react faster to oncoming traffic?  As it is, the setup is dangerous and might cause an accident one night.

Thanks

It sounds odd to me. I drive a 2016 RX 450h and auto low beam works dimming only in "slices" where vehicles are present keeping high beam all around (and you see the indicator on anyway while  oncoming cars are not disturbed). The switching speed  is not a problem AFAIK, provided oncoming vehicles have lights on 🙂

1 hour ago, Goodplan53 said:

Is it possible to adjust the speed and sensitivity of the automatic headlamp system to make it react faster to oncoming traffic?

There is no user adjustment settings, make sure the windscreen in front of the camera is clear.

Thanks both.

It was a particularly dark and winding road but as soon as we drove approached a town with street lighting the system behaved itself. However, as soon as we ventured back on to the rural roads again (Wiltshire is a rural county) it was impossible to avoid dazzling oncoming cars.  

If I find a solution I will report back.

Do you have just auto high beam or the full adaptive high beam system? Sometimes it can be difficult to detect the changes with the adaptive set-up...

This Lexus.eu tech doc is an interesting read, it's for the RX450h 2020 model.

LIGHTING SYSTEM CONTROL ADAPTIVE HIGH-BEAM SYSTEM (AHS).pdf

Thanks Peter,

It’s beginning to make sense now. My car is a 70 plate Takumi so I’m guessing it’s the full adaptive high beam system. If so, I don’t need to leave the light stalk in the forward position, do I? 

My understanding from the attachment you kindly sent me is that provided the system is on (on/off button on right side of dashboard) then the system works when the car is going faster than 38 mph.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links