Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

AWD/4WD v 2WD What are the advantages?

I am looking at used UX250h's, some are AWD, most are not. I never off road but may end up buying the AWD version anyway. What conditions are AWD versions good in for a suburban driver in the South of England? The rain? Light snow? I have watched some YouTube videos and reviews and the upshot seems to be they are not real off road vehicles. That's fine by me but what would I potentially gain for a loss of boot space and worse MPG?

Thanks 

True enough, they are not off roaders.  You’ll get people saying it’s a waste of time but it isn’t because it’s dialled in to the stability control so it will handle better.  It’ll behave better in the wet too.  

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn’t pay an extra for AWD on the UX250h but I wouldn’t avoid it either. It will improve traction in slippery conditions but in snow your money is better put towards all season or winter tyres.

• Like 2

AWD doesnt means it's a off road car, it just mean the all wheels got power. Being said, AWD will always gives you better traction and safer on rain and snow. Its not only about winter tyres or not in snow, more options in power distribution on different wheels matters too.

I always found the rear of my FWD UX F-sport lost traction very easily even with my new tyres, i think it's the factory suspension configuration. I've driven many cars and UX's rear's dynamic is definitely not on the stable side.

AWD ……. my 2006 Honda Legend simple saloon car has this feature as standard 

I find the AWD kicks in automatically when the weather prevails and is a boon in bad winter driving 

My ordinary other cars, the Ls400s are totally useless in snow, ice whatever …… they stay at home 

The AWD Honda hugs the ground and goes anywhere needed  in all wintry conditions 

Just my experiences 

Malc 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Personally I wouldn’t pay an extra for AWD on the UX250h but I wouldn’t avoid it either. It will improve traction in slippery conditions but in snow your money is better put towards all season or winter tyres.

I don’t.  The first stop for my brand new UX E4 was the tyre fitter for all season tyres but AWD first then tyres.  Yes, a FWD with winter tyres will out perform an AWD in the snow but the combination is best and any other time, an AWD is a much better prospect than a FWD with the supplied tyres.  

I bought the AWD, the price was about the same so why not. The rear only has 7hp but 40Nm if I remember correct. I was skeptic but again not that much of I price difference so I went for it. According to the manual the rear electric motor can help you if you get in to a skid. I have not got stuck or had a bad skid or something like that, I cant tell though if that is because of the AWD. I use to tow my snowmobile with a GS300 from 2000, all my cars has winter tires but all have had stud less tires. The UX has Continental viking contact 7. The UX has this winter towed my snowmobile on the same road and same conditions as my GS did. The road to where I snowmobile is really bad, it twist goes up/down constantly and no salt. I feel that the UX feels much safer to drive on snow/ice then the GS300 but I dont know if that is because the GS is very old with many miles or because of the UX AWD. Hope this helps.

Yes, towbar is allowed on the UX here in Sweden, factory option but no big heavy trailers...

IMG20231230095755.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martin_80 said:

I bought the AWD, the price was about the same so why not. The rear only has 7hp but 40Nm if I remember correct. I was skeptic but again not that much of I price difference so I went for it. According to the manual the rear electric motor can help you if you get in to a skid. I have not got stuck or had a bad skid or something like that, I cant tell though if that is because of the AWD. I use to tow my snowmobile with a GS300 from 2000, all my cars has winter tires but all have had stud less tires. The UX has Continental viking contact 7. The UX has this winter towed my snowmobile on the same road and same conditions as my GS did. The road to where I snowmobile is really bad, it twist goes up/down constantly and no salt. I feel that the UX feels much safer to drive on snow/ice then the GS300 but I dont know if that is because the GS is very old with many miles or because of the UX AWD. Hope this helps.

Yes, towbar is allowed on the UX here in Sweden, factory option but no big heavy trailers...

IMG20231230095755.jpg

Yes, it’s more of an assister than a drive axle but it’s surprisingly good in poor conditions.  I took mine out in quite deep snow and it was boring.  It just drove like there was no snow!   The new 300h will have a 40hp rear axle.  

3 hours ago, cdmaskell said:

Sorry! AWD.

The reason I am getting a UX is because my beloved BMW is a diesel and 6months to old to be exempt from ULEZ. I would keep it forever otherwise. I am not actively seeking an AWD but if the right UX250h comes up I would probably get it with or without AWD. ULEZ has really created a problem for me as I am literally 200 yards inside the zone.

• Sad 2

My UX is just front wheel drive and I have had several instances where having to pull away smartly from a busy junction saw the wheels scrabbling for grip, also caused a bit of a problem recently on a grass car park. my Kia Sportage had smart AWD which only connected when wheel slip was connected, this meant that you did not pay the mpg penalty of permanent AWD.

The difference is considerable, a smart take off has a momentary slip then pulls away with no drama.

Especially usefull if you tow a caravan like I did with the Sportage, the UX is not really the car for caravan towing though.

Bill D.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2024 at 6:33 PM, Sgelten said:

The reason I am getting a UX is because my beloved BMW is a diesel and 6months to old to be exempt from ULEZ. I would keep it forever otherwise. I am not actively seeking an AWD but if the right UX250h comes up I would probably get it with or without AWD. ULEZ has really created a problem for me as I am literally 200 yards inside the zone.

Good for you.  It’s refreshing to see somebody with the right attitude to ulez.  

• 4 weeks later...

When I bought my E4, I was already 'comfortable' with the size (or lack of it) of the UX boot space! So AWD didn't make much of a difference to my decision. It wasn't that expensive as an option and is a nice to have, I think.

For anything other than weekly food shopping or 2 weekend cases etc, the rear seats have to come down anyway.

The UX is not really a family car, but it's great for us as a couple.  I can still get 2 grandkids 6 and 8 year-olds in the back with their car seats on school pick-up duty once a week - but I wouldn't want to do it every day!

As for AWD performance, I can't say I've noticed it so far - but then we don't (or at least haven't had) a winter like in Sweden - yet!

Regarding mpg, it's all going to be down to how you drive it.

• Like 1

I'm not attempting to start a row here and I generally agree with the comments in this thread but I'd argue that 2 Grandchildren and two adult spaces do make it a 'Family' car. We've become used to huge cars that we drag around mostly with just a driver on-board especially when going to and from work. I realise the boot isn't huge but 90% + of the time I use the UX it's more than adequate. I've sat in the back, with a Grandchild in one of these huge modern safety seats, and I had no issue with leg or head room and I'm just over 6 feet tall.

I moved from an NX to the UX for the very reason that I couldn't justify having such a large but wonderful vehicle that was going to sit around most of the day. 

Even though there is a view on this site that the UX isn't a 'real' Lexus I think they are an excellent car with many benefits in this modern and expensive motoring age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links