Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Towing capability NX300h and tow bar fitting

Hi all

About to pull the trigger on an NX300h. How well would it tow the below trailer please? We currently have a 2.0 normally aspirated  petrol Honda CRV and it tows it ok, but on hills it’s not great, especially the A30 to Cornwall. With the bikes especially due to the extra drag. Think the NX would fare any better? 

There is also the possibility of a small caravan in future. I really doubt the Honda would do well there.

Also, the NX does not have a tow bar, and Lexus main dealer want £900-£100 to fit a detachable 13 pin. Think it’s best to have them fit it, or just use an independent Witter fitter? The dealer mentioned warranty implications but I can’t see that?

The dealer is playing very hard ball, will not knock a penny off the list price of the car, and will not throw in boot liner / mats etc. Trying to find something they will negotiate on 😂

Thanks

Jim

IMG_6312.jpeg

• Like 1

All UK NX are all wheel drive & have 240bhp so they are good at towing,

fitting a genuine oem tow bar on the nx involves removing & cutting part of the rear bumper out, crash bar deletion, removal of the kick sensor if it has one,  strip down of the boot floor & rear quarter panel to run the wiring & ecu fitting. If it wasnt done right it could affect the warranty & you wont know if the independant did it right/properly or not.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Somewhat surprised the Honda does not tow your trailer well?

Because it’s not turbocharged it’s pretty gutless on hills. Tows the trailer nicely enough on the flat but big hills require care and when people are filtering on to the motorway I always have to back off as  there is so little instant shove to blend in the best way. It’s been bulletproof in my 9 years with it, which I suspect a diesel would not have been, so it’s been all in all one of the best cars we’ve had and kept the longest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

All UK NX are all wheel drive & have 240bhp so they are good at towing,

fitting a genuine oem tow bar on the nx involves removing & cutting part of the rear bumper out, crash bar deletion, removal of the kick sensor if it has one,  strip down of the boot floor & rear quarter panel to run the wiring & ecu fitting. If it wasnt done right it could affect the warranty & you wont know if the independant did it right/properly or not.

Thanks that’s really useful to know thank you. I will stick to dealer fit in that case 👍

1 hour ago, Ken R said:

Try asking them for the next two services foc?

I’ve literally just got back from buying one from another dealer instead. £2000 less for a year newer car, 10,000 less miles, better condition, and identical exterior colour and interior trim! FSH. They also gave me more for my part ex than Lexus offered. 

I had initially skipped it thinking the VED would tip £40,000 being a year newer but the dealer checked on Gov.uk and confirmed £170.

I will ring Lexus on Tuesday when they are back open to politely explain that I’ve gone elsewhere.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim1977 said:

I will ring Lexus on Tuesday when they are back open to politely explain that I’ve gone elsewhere.

I hope you take as much pleasure when doing so as I have done twice in the past. Enjoy your moment the inflexible sales guy and the NX 👍👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RXtoNX said:

I hope you take as much pleasure when doing so as I have done twice in the past. Enjoy your moment the inflexible sales guy and the NX 👍👍

I would have likely done the deal had they moved £300-400 on either the NX, the part ex or some accessories. Was a good shout above about trying some complimentary servicing, that was going to be my next tack, but they’ve ended up doing me a big favour in the end. Too greedy.

I’ll be dealing with the service and parts staff from now on and they are great in there, they’ve already sorted me out for some bits for our UX (extras not issues)

• Like 3

I have a 2021 NX300h with a factory fitted tow bar which cost £1000 I swapped from a Honda 2.2 CRV D. There is one thing you won’t see unless you look at detail and that is the tow ball max weight is 65kg which I discovered after purchase I do use mine to tow a caravan but don’t expect any spectacular increase in performance  from the CRV

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave 2951 said:

I have a 2021 NX300h with a factory fitted tow bar which cost £1000 I swapped from a Honda 2.2 CRV D. There is one thing you won’t see unless you look at detail and that is the tow ball max weight is 65kg which I discovered after purchase I do use mine to tow a caravan but don’t expect any spectacular increase in performance  from the CRV

Thanks Dave. We had an FRV in the past with the 2.2 CRDi in it, it certainly had a lot more low down torque than our petrol CRV has. Hopefully, if the NX performs more like the FRV did with the same engine as your CRV, it will be an improvement on what we have now 👍

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links