Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Japanese Imports

Newbie777

Hello,

I am not sure if this is still true.

I don't have an issue with anyone who has bought or owns a Japaneses imported car.

A few years back Japanese imports were low mileage cars and were sold at good price. The problem was higher insurance and sourcing of parts, which were not always available in the UK.

Just seeing adverts of some Japanese imports, with some of these not being mentioned as imports.

So what is the advice on buying Japanese imports regarding parts and insurance?Is it still true?

Also when I look at say the Ls600hl. I look for the  square rear number plate, mileage in km. and the spec list which sometimes can be LESS than the UK cars etc.

10 minutes ago, Newbie777 said:

So what is the advice on buying Japanese imports regarding parts and insurance?Is it still true?

My son has now bought two subaru cars - Impreza and Legacy. Both cars were immaculate and rust free and great value for money. He does not regret it.

But the old issues are still there. His later car ( Legacy  - with the best 2.0 turbo impreza motor) has proven difficult to convert to English spec. I believe this is due to the fact that all the electronics/ alarms/systems/audio/ speed limiter/ pollution control reducing BHP etc. are inextricably linked to the main ECU computer and would need VERY expensive total replacement even if it were actually possible.

The Insurance and resale values are still problematic as they have always been.

• Like 1

BTW it makes life a bit easier if the Japanese car has a UK equivalent. Thus spares and replacements are a bit easier to find but still pricey.   Also remembered that the speedo change to mph was not just a setting on the trip but actually not available, so a replacement speedo was needed, but could not find one anyway. He has had to keep the Kph and put stickers on the 30, 50, 70 points.

• Like 1

My goodness. Not easy at all.I think it is clearly passion that comes first.

The issue with parts is a difficult one. Even for Lexus some parts I asked the dealer and thry said back order, which basically means they can't get it!

However, this is a risk, but there is an ever increasing supply of parts from the Middle East.

BTW I had the Legacy estate with the boxer engine, Brill car especially in the winter. 

Worked in Horsham, West Sussex and lived on a farm, sadly the field mice took a liking to the engine so much so they started chewing away some of the wires!

• Like 1

I’ve been tempted this past year or so to buy another Import Ls400 or later model coz of the usual impeccable condition and very low miles BUT ……. ALWAYS it seems unable to get everything working sans Japanese hieroglyphics …… notwithstanding vendors promising ALL IN ENGLISH

Malc  

On 12/31/2023 at 10:43 AM, GMB said:

Also remembered that the speedo change to mph was not just a setting on the trip but actually not available, so a replacement speedo was needed, but could not find one anyway. He has had to keep the Kph and put stickers on the 30, 50, 70 points.

I previously had a Japanese import Celica GT4. I purchased a dial conversion kit from Lockwood International. The kit is not expensive, good quality and relatively easy to install and gives you the m.p.h dial. 

They offer conversion kits for the Impreza and Legacy. 

• Like 1

My first JDM import was a 1994 Toyota Celsior purchased in 2006 which served me very well for 16 years until I was given the chance to buy a later 2004 model year by a fellow member which I’ve now had for a couple of years.

The 1994 had a converted and certified mileage of 38,000 and with regular servicing only let me down once with a broken rear spring.

The 2004 has around 82,000 miles now, was converted to spring struts before purchase and came with the optional factory stainless steel exhaust. The speedometer was changed to a UK spec one also before I purchased it.

No sunroof to worry about ( leaks) and wool seats instead of leather.

JDM prices have gone through the roof nowadays especially the earlier models if available. This coupled with increased shipping costs mean at least a £10K cost for a decent one. 

• Like 1

my experience with 90s/00s jdm imports is that imports never have alarm/immobilisers fitted as the Japanese dont steal each others cars so buying a system with certificate is required for insurance, the radio & satnav dont work, you need a frequency band expander to get anything but radio 2 & the satnav works on FM in Japan so its useless here. If youre not willing to work with kmph youll have to get a clock conversion to mph. The cars usually dont come with any service history, manuals or anything, if they do its all in Japanese anyway so you have no idea about the life of the car. A rear fog lamp isnt a legal thing in Japan so you might have to have one fitted or a tail light converted.

USA cant import any car less than 25 years old, so a lot of the cars I like are coming of age & the prices are going crazy. Its funny that the EU syphon the cars from Japan 2nd hand or who knows how many owners they had, 5-10 yers old,  then when they are 25 years old when most cars would be quite tired & passed their prime, the USA come in & will pay more than the new price of a car to import it. 

You could get a Skyline GT-R 34 for £20,000 15 years ago, now they are worth over £100,000 when they cost £50,000 new, I always liked the NSX type r, I regret not getting one when they were also £20k-30k. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

my experience with 90s/00s jdm imports is that imports never have alarm/immobilisers fitted

The Legacy that my son bought has a factory fitted alarm and immobiliser that is very temperamental. If you get in the car and do not start it within 6 seconds it will stop everything and set off the siren. Then you have to get out, turn off the alarm, lock the car, unlock it with the fob key, wait 30 seconds and try again.. ( All timings are approximate ).

Maybe he got a special edition or something from Subaru?

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links