Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How to remove sunroof drive cable.

As the heading says.

I'm looking to replace one of the drive cables.

I've looked online but can't find any information on how to do this.

Does anyone have any information on how this can be done?

It could be a big job.

i had a problem with the sunroof on my RX350 a few years ago just after I bought it.   Hanging the motor was quite straightforward ( it had burnt out) but the cause was a broken cable on one side due to a small plastic part which had broken and jammed the roof.  To replace this the garage had to remove the headlining and the whole sunroof  and supporting frame and mechanism.  They told me it had involved about 30 hours of labour.  Fortunately covered by their warranty.Lexusinbits.13-12-2013.thumb.jpg.b7f7661fa8a56367948b41a9e12d552f.jpgLexusinbits3.18-12-2013.thumb.jpg.1089b19d1e32d4f6c461f6126580f598.jpgLexusinbits2.18-12-2013.thumb.jpg.e1cf975fbcb54e11ad51da96862ffe91.jpgLexussunroofframe.18-12-2013.thumb.jpg.05b8a7cd8cb3d09484d080611a4bee95.jpgLexussunroofbits.18-12-2013.thumb.jpg.dda1674becbe619f9c4a2afe4e304400.jpg

• Sad 1

Thanks Steve. This will be helpful. Especially if I need a part number for bits I’m going to need. 
I got started on the head liner. To remove it took about an hour as I was being very careful as I’d never done one before. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
FOR OTHERS WHO WANT TO REPAIR THE SUNROOF CABLES

Lexus quoted me £600  (About $765), however I managed to get new cables from an online auction site for £45 ($57)

It's not too difficult a job, but you do need to be carefull as it's so easy to damage parts.

1. Remove the centre light, roof control switch panel and sun visors (2 screws behind the cover) from the front of the roof lining.
  2. Remove all 4 hand grips.
  3. Loosen the 2 front pillar covers.
  4. Loosen the 2 lower centre covers at the seatbelts. These are retained with clips. Takes a strong pull or in my case, push.
  5. Now loosen the 2 upper centre panel covers, Secured with 2 nuts at the bottom.
  6. Now lower the lining carefull not to damage it.
  7. While lowering disconnect wires.
  8. Once the lining is lowered, the sunroof frame can be remover by removing all the 10mm nuts.

I was able to take the frame out the back door by lowering the front seat to it's lowest position. (Remove headrest).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links