Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System (AVAS) NX 450h

From the owners manual regarding AVAS:  "When driving with the gasoline engine stopped, a sound, which changes in accordance with the driving speed, will be played in order to warn people nearby of the vehicle’s approach. The sound will stop when the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 25 km/h (15 mph)."

I always noticed this noise at low speed in EV mode, that is until yesterday when it disappeared. Anyone else experienced this?

Nope, mine still making the noise as far as I can tell. At least it's about half the volume (subjectively speaking) of the one in other Toyota vehicles!

• Like 1

Mine has never made any sound when reversing and tbh I am pleased that it doesn’t.

I can only think that it must be a dealer activated option since others have also reported no bleeps when reversing 

Paul.....AVAS should operate driving forward up to 15 MPH, which is what I was referring to. It's apparently a legal requirement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Paul.....AVAS should operate driving forward up to 15 MPH, which is what I was referring to. It's apparently a legal requirement.

Like Paul, my 450h has not given a beep going forward or backwards since I picked it up in June 23

I was convinced that there was no warning sound from my 450h but have been informed that there is a low volume "hum" when manoeuvring or travelling at low speed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken R said:

I was convinced that there was no warning sound from my 450h but have been informed that there is a low volume "hum" when manoeuvring or travelling at low speed.

No bleeps driving in either direction at low speed.

3 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Like Ken there is a low “hum” which no one would hear in excess of a metre away

• Like 1

Mine makes a noise like someone dis-embowelling a dalek, I can sometimes hear it in the car, but it does cut off at 15mph. It's only when going forwards. I think if it beeped like a reversing truck (Kia's do this?) would make me want to change my car.

Apparently it's a UN directive (UN R138.01) picked up by many countries, to help vulnerable road users to be more aware of almost silent BEVs & PHEVs.

You would think that as we've spent £50, 60, 70k on a car we should be able to choose the noise it makes - I'd pick the sound of an ice cream van to upset the expectant children when they see it's me and not the ice cream man coming down the street!! 😂

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Alan Thompson said:

Mine makes a noise like someone dis-embowelling a dalek, I can sometimes hear it in the car, but it does cut off at 15mph. It's only when going forwards. I think if it beeped like a reversing truck (Kia's do this?) would make me want to change my car.

Apparently it'UN directive (UN R138.01) picked up by many countries, to help vulnerable road users to be more aware of almost silent BEVs & PHEVs.

😂

Lo and behold my disemboweled Dalek decided to return last night. Have no idea where it's been. Maybe back to Skaro for some R&R.

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links