Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential LC Purchase - CANBUS

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

The comments are entertaining -

"Why is this statement released on the very day my NX was stolen. My car was stolen this week Wednesday and the utter lack of care and total nonchalance is shocking. I had the vehicle for almost 3 years and never received any communication from Lexus about this very well known issue. This article link was sent to me, else I wouldn’t have seen it – once again indicating total lack of communication to Lexus owners. I won’t buy another Lexus"

"My Lexus 300NX got stolen from my drive last week, CAN bus attack, I came across this article regarding the fitment of the plate and also this was highlighted on the BBC One Show. My car was serviced in January and I was not told about the plate. This is really bad customer service. Now my insurers are not paying the full value of the car. I was told, I should have put a put a steering wheel lock, so you pay £45000 for a car and have to purchase a £50 steering lock. !!!! This had caused so much frustration and inconvenience."

"We designed something with a vulnerability, yet “costs are under review and customers may incur a nominal charge.” What a load of BS."

"I have had 6 lexus’s. 50% of them stolen. One RX450 in November 2022 and then BOTH UX250’s in August 2023. Lexus just wrote me a Dear John letter when I contacted them. I worked so hard for those cars and always aspired to have a Lexus. I will never buy Lexus ever again. I have the CCTV footage.. took them 45 seconds to steal my RX450 and less than 2 minutes to then drive off with mine and my wife’s UX250’s"

Maybe employing Gerald Ratner as Head of PR might improve things.

Another point - on the RX section of this website there are people discussing second generation canbus protection plates. That clearly suggests the first plate design doesn't work!! My guess is any steel cover can be got around by accessing the loom at a different point, or instead of connecting to the pins in a multiplug just tapping into the correct colour wires further along the same cable.

Solution : immobiliser for all, or an upgrade to the canbus hardware so we have 2024 spec systems on all older cars.

• Like 1

Ironically it was only earlier in the week Lexus were saying they were not aware of issues with the LC…. Generic stock boiler plate responses to a serious issue.

On the positive we should have a solution soon and it will probably involve software / EUC related changes not additional brackets and plates.

But… I’m sure it’s not going to be the end of this, what they say and do remain to be seen for us Lc owners. 

I just took delivery of the Ultimate Edition coupe 2 days ago and it's on the list of vulnerable Lexus cars 😶

1 hour ago, shapiro said:

Ironically it was only earlier in the week Lexus were saying they were not aware of issues with the LC…. Generic stock boiler plate responses to a serious issue.

On the positive we should have a solution soon and it will probably involve software / EUC related changes not additional brackets and plates.

But… I’m sure it’s not going to be the end of this, what they say and do remain to be seen for us Lc owners. 

Pretty much what my dealer emailed me yesterday, no plates for the LC but will keep me "updated on any further security updates" as they are received from Lexus. I'm still hopeful the encryption technique will provide a solution, but when seems a bit of a guess right now.

• Like 1

On Saturday I added a polite (honest!) comment to the Lexus mag article linked to above. It was waiting 'moderation'.

I specifically asked about :

1 - the discussion over on the RX section over type 1 and revised type 2 canbus protection plates i.e they don't work do they?

2 - if they don't work, what will?

3 - whether Lexus's April solution (note I left out the word Fool there) would be compatible with my existing tracker and immobiliser.

Guess what? Comment has been 'moderated' off the website.

And my dealer replied last week :

"As per the article you have highlighted, we are awaiting Lexus to advise us which models are affected.

I have kept a log of your enquiry and will be in touch as soon  as we have an update, Lexus have advised we should have this by the end of April this year."

Shame they didn't read the article as it lists the models that are affected, but at least they're aware of it. So here's hoping!

23 hours ago, shapiro said:

5th of July 2023:

Good afternoon Brett

Thank you for your reply and for your update.

It is a great pity that you have had to sell your car.  There is always a risk with such an attractive and desirable product that someone wants it, without having to pay for the privilege.

As per my previous reply, we have only just started to see feedback relating to the LC and so it is something which is on our radar.  The most effective method of protecting your car from this type of theft method is a ghost immobiliser, which is not a product we manufacture.  However, we will look to see if any other deterrents can be used as well but this could take some time as this issue appears to be concentrated within London and the M25.  

I really hope that you can look at Lexus again in the future and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Kind regards

Claire Dean
Lexus Customer Relations Case Manager
Toyota (GB) PLC - Lexus Division
Distributor of vehicles, parts and accessories for the UK

The Ghost immobiliser with stop the theft but not the 4K's worth of damage caused, but then i suppose this would be the same for all cars

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wendle said:

The Ghost immobiliser with stop the theft but not the 4K's worth of damage caused, but then i suppose this would be the same for all cars

That was one of the factors that made me decide to sell - the dickheads would trash it anyway before they find out it's not possible to steal it.

1 minute ago, BrettMRC said:

That was one of the factors that made me decide to sell - the dickheads would trash it anyway before they find out it's not possible to steal it.

I partly feel the same Brett, but i love the car, and why should i sell it for that reason. plus if i changed model i would probably be in the same situation.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wendle said:

I partly feel the same Brett, but i love the car, and why should i sell it for that reason. plus if i changed model i would probably be in the same situation.

In my case it was that, plus the fact I was struggling to safely negotiate the diddy little lane anytime I wanted to take it out.

Solution was a manual Supra, a bit smaller so easier to live with. (probably every bit as nickable!)

• 5 weeks later...

I have only just joined and don’t have an LC until Friday. I am part ex’ing an AMG. The insurance on my LC is £100 a year cheaper. No issues at all, Money Supermarket and got a good policy with Admiral. I live in a decent area where car theft isn’t too bad but the car will be on my driveway, it is tucked around a corner behind a hedge but nevertheless outside. I’ve had all sorts of German brands, Range Rover and a good friend driveway parks his Vantage S. Any decent car can get stolen but you can’t let that stop you getting the car you want. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links