Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cracking tyres, replace?

Hi everyone

I purchased my car around 3.5 years ago and its got Bridgestone Turanza all round, I only do around 4k miles per year now, both front tyres have around 4mm left but I've noticed some cracking as attached.

image.thumb.jpeg.8b7e99518901367cf1a7e3ef6c48f438.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.55a5e2f5a4c5dc05a9f8654dfa9c0c78.jpeg

I cant see any DOT codes on these (heard they may be behind the tyre where I cannot see it) so not sure how old these are, at least 4 years old I'd imagine as i've not changed it since my car ownership, would you guys replace these tyres based on this? Costco have the  MICHELIN e.PRIMACY ones available for my car for the fronts so thinking would just go for that (not been overly pleased with my Bridgestones), open to any feedback about my tyre choice too 🙂

Thanks!

Tyres at 5 years old on a car will suffer thsi problem.  I have seen spares that are 10 years old and never used, but the rubber harderns and cracks as soon as you put a load on them.

I have MB E350 and the Michelin Primacy are an excellent choice, very quite, and seem to wear well.  I am running 17inch rims, with the right balance between pot-hole handling and general road handling.

• Like 1

Under normal conditions (not high speed) will be fine.

As long as its holding consistent pressure nothing to worry about.

Its legal & will possibly be an advisory come MOT. 

• Like 1

I think so long as no cords showing in the cracks then legal.

I bought a 2015 Auris Hybrid when it was 5 years old and the Continental eco contact front tyres were cracked on the outside wall at 5 years old and 26,000miles. Legal apparently, but felt uneasy and only had 3.8mm of tread so a few months later had fitted 4x Goodyear efficient grip performance 2's and seem a good tyre. Fronts are now 3.6mm so will probably replace them in the Autumn. rears around 5.5mm

Also had a Lexus IS220D with Goodyear tyres and they were cracked at 3-5 years old. Fitted budget Avon 7v7 and glad I did as scrapped 3 months later as head gasket went at 187k.

Volvo on Michelin energy savers and Goodyear ultra grip 9 winter tyres.  

James.

Michelin's are generally good.  If you want more sportiness without breaking the bank you can try Goodyear F1 Eagle Asymmetric 6.  I am quite pleased with them and even more so with the price when compared against the Pilot Sport.  

They hold up well even in (relatively mild) western European winters and excel in wet and dry conditions. 

Before i had Bridgestone Potenza Sport.  Great performance but noisy and bad fuel economy. 

On 1/15/2024 at 1:31 PM, Cotswold Pete said:

Tyres at 5 years old on a car will suffer thsi problem.  I have seen spares that are 10 years old and never used, but the rubber harderns and cracks as soon as you put a load on them.

I have MB E350 and the Michelin Primacy are an excellent choice, very quite, and seem to wear well.  I am running 17inch rims, with the right balance between pot-hole handling and general road handling.

Thank you all, just came across this video which did some good controlled tests, whats interesting is the results at the 6:10 mark:

In a nutshell, under 10 degrees the all weather tyres perform better in the rain, looking at London weather averages, that would be 4 months out of the year (Nov to Feb) the all weather tyres should outperform, rest of the year they are still not too bad but do lag behind summer tyres a bit.

Trying to decide what to do now, if I go for all season i'd have to replace all 4 tyres, my rears still have 5 to 6mm left I think so that feels like a bit of a waste, would welcome thoughts from the members here 🙂

32 minutes ago, D Johnson said:

Corpjones, forgive me for going off on a tangent on your thread but since you have posted photos of your Turanzas this seems a good time for me to ask the question I have been pondering lately which is: the inner sections of both my rear Turanzas are now virtually bald.  This is from the outer edge (wall) to the first longitudinal tread section.  I am somewhat miffed because I had asked my Lexus dealer about rotating the tyres and was more or less laughed out of the workshop.  Now I am faced with major expense when this might have been avoided for the sake of half an hour’s work… Also, does anyone know if there is any significance to this type of tyre wear in terms of what has caused it?  Also, are they illegal or am I within the “75% of the tread” allowance.   Many thanks.  

Marianne 

The IS300H is known to wear out the inside of tyres, abit of analysis to validate this go on autotrader pick out higher mileage examples & check the MOT history. You will notice a trend inner tyre worn on edges advisories or even an MOT fail, I dont think it is a specific tyre issue. It is how the alignment is setup out of the factory / softer lower control arm bushes being the primary cause. I believe others have changed suspension components from the F Versions that have stiffer bushes. 

The reason why your main dealer refused to do tyre rotation is because the rear tyres are wider I dont think you can put wider tyres on the front axle. 

Play with your tyre pressure mine are set at 36-37psi seem to be wearing normal the steering is bang on centre & no drift off to the right or left if you let go off the steering wheel on a flatish straight road. Get the alignment checked & its not uncommon Mercs & BMWs also have this issue.

For reference 

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/940025-all-about-lexus-is-premature-inner-tire-wear.html

Thank you, IS300FSPORT, at least I don’t need to worry that something is amiss and causing inner tyre wear.  My tyres are all the same size btw.  

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links