Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can you take a modified car to France?

1 hour ago, MNMJ said:

If you are on your own, then I'd suggest getting an automatic tag for autoroute tolls. On a return trip to the Alps I managed to kerb a wheel trying to get the left hand side of the car close enough to lean across and collect tickets or pay.

I heard a neat summary from an expat that explained why the French are so keen on having lots of rules. It means they can feel good about themselves and their independent spirit when they break a law. They also get a thrill of righteous indignation when someone else breaks the same law.

Thanks for pointing it out, can I do it online?

Your last paragraph though 😂😂

14 hours ago, Hatat said:

Thanks, yes I will drive sensibly and can I use the Google map App for navigation I heard French police won't like Apps that show speed cameras? Or it's just a fib.

Being France, everything is complicated. I haven't checked the regulations for some time and there was talk of not showing alerts on navigation apps but its never been an issue as far as I can tell. My TomTom, which I use in my old girls when useful certainly warns of there presence, was purchased here and receives updates for France. Allegedly it avoids legal issues by highlighting 'Danger Zones' instead. When I purchased my ES it came preloaded with Coyote which gives route guidance based on live information but also announced speed cameras, including mobile ones. 

I believe Waze also announces Hazard Zones which is usually a euphemism for a camera. I'm not sure about Google as I don't use it but understand the camera option is turned off when operating in France though maybe that's also update with hazard warnings?

Whilst driving in France differs from the UK its still fundamentally a civilised country with very much quieter roads, outside of the cities at least. In general if the 'don't be a ******' approach is adopted driving is pretty stress free (okay, too many like to park in your back seat but they're best just ignored). If the 'I enjoy being a ******' approach is hard things stop being fun.

Just chill and enjoy the trip.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hatat said:

Thanks for pointing it out, can I do it online?

Totally agree with a péage badge. I wouldn't be without mine and once dropped my card at a busy barrier and had to crawl beneath the car to find it. Not fun. Things are even harder in a right hooker, especially on your own.

https://ulys.vinci-autoroutes.com/e-toll-badge-ulys-classic/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandandlime said:

Being France, everything is complicated. I haven't checked the regulations for some time and there was talk of not showing alerts on navigation apps but its never been an issue as far as I can tell. My TomTom, which I use in my old girls when useful certainly warns of there presence, was purchased here and receives updates for France. Allegedly it avoids legal issues by highlighting 'Danger Zones' instead. When I purchased my ES it came preloaded with Coyote which gives route guidance based on live information but also announced speed cameras, including mobile ones. 

I believe Waze also announces Hazard Zones which is usually a euphemism for a camera. I'm not sure about Google as I don't use it but understand the camera option is turned off when operating in France though maybe that's also update with hazard warnings?

Whilst driving in France differs from the UK its still fundamentally a civilised country with very much quieter roads, outside of the cities at least. In general if the 'don't be a ******' approach is adopted driving is pretty stress free (okay, too many like to park in your back seat but they're best just ignored). If the 'I enjoy being a ******' approach is hard things stop being fun.

Just chill and enjoy the trip.

Yeah - all the apps... Google Maps, TomTom, Waze etc. all do NOT show speed camera locations automatically when you in France. On the positive side (depending on your perspective) you will never get French fines. I have been flashed few times last year and haven't received anything (not sure why, to be honest as I wasn't going that fast, I think once 77 in 70). Also in my previous car on my way out of France and into Belgium I have forgotten I am not in Germany yet and definitely been flashed twice for speed (this was in like 2016) and never got any fines either.  

16 hours ago, RichGS11 said:

It only had admiring attention and one of them recorded me leaving. 

That is quite good way of looking at it - because in France they don't have modified cars they are actually quite amused of seeing them. And unless something is dangerous or ridiculous it is more of positive attention, not in a way of trying to punish you (even if they could, which for most mods they can't). 

• Like 1

When I was there, visitor or not, you could be fined on the spot for having any device which revealed speed camera locations; Tom Tom, factory, GPS whatever. I think that may still apply

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GMB said:

When I was there, visitor or not, you could be fined on the spot for having any device which revealed speed camera locations; Tom Tom, factory, GPS whatever. I think that may still apply

That is correct... It is preventing course of justice in their view. But as I said by now all the devices automatically hide the camera location so won't be an issue. 

Other note - French will absolutelly smack your car with their doors and don't even look back. It is 100% normal and not considered an issue... it is almost like national hobby to hit each other cars and trade some paint. And I don't mean they do it deliberately, or carelessly or in some bad way - no for them, they just can't comprehend that being an issue, in France it is ALRIGHT to hit other person's car when opening the doors. So beware of where you park. 

This was mine few months ago and I was parked in the corner of the car park by the beach. 

416039624_3354727051491860_8179757909640980340_n.thumb.jpg.232ab29eedb4a8d929e3dc6f4da0a2e1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Linas.P said:

French will absolutelly smack your car with their doors and don't even look back. It is 100% normal

Yep, has happened to me on a few occasions. They are not "bad" people just stooopid!  They will even do it while you are sitting in the car!!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GMB said:

Yep, has happened to me on a few occasions. They are not "bad" people just stooopid!  They will even do it while you are sitting in the car!!!!

100%... because as I said for them it is not considered an issue. And if you challenge them they will be confused what you want... maybe they will say "pardon" just being nice, but otherwise they will be like "what an ffffing idiot, starts shouting about the scratch... those foreigners are weird... it is just a car, it mean to be scratched". 

And this is not some sort of "stereotype" from Top Gear or something - they really do not care about cosmetics of the car, they certainly would not be able to comprehend "detailing". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

Yeah - all the apps... Google Maps, TomTom, Waze etc. all do NOT show speed camera locations automatically when you in France. On the positive side (depending on your perspective) you will never get French fines. I have been flashed few times last year and haven't received anything (not sure why, to be honest as I wasn't going that fast, I think once 77 in 70). Also in my previous car on my way out of France and into Belgium I have forgotten I am not in Germany yet and definitely been flashed twice for speed (this was in like 2016) and never got any fines either.  

That is quite good way of looking at it - because in France they don't have modified cars they are actually quite amused of seeing them. And unless something is dangerous or ridiculous it is more of positive attention, not in a way of trying to punish you (even if they could, which for most mods they can't). 

Glad to know you didn't get any fines via post but are you saying you were flashed twice for using a navigator or speed? 🙂

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

100%... because as I said for them it is not considered an issue. And if you challenge them they will be confused what you want... maybe they will say "pardon" just being nice, but otherwise they will be like "what an ffffing idiot, starts shouting about the scratch... those foreigners are weird... it is just a car, it mean to be scratched". 

And this is not some sort of "stereotype" from Top Gear or something - they really do not care about cosmetics of the car, they certainly would not be able to comprehend "detailing". 

Wow it's horrendous! I would be mindful of it.

8 minutes ago, Hatat said:

Glad to know you didn't get any fines via post but are you saying you were flashed twice for using a navigator or speed? 🙂

Flashed probably for speed, also suspect I passed trough the city which had Crit'Air without registering (which by the way you may need to get). You can't get fines from Europe now. Which is kind of double edge sword - so you don't have to pay them, but if you go back few years later and you have several big fines they may stop you and impound the car. But it has to be many and big fines for them to bother, they won't be chasing you for 1 fine for 12 Euros. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Flashed probably for speed, also suspect I passed trough the city which had Crit'Air without registering (which by the way you may need to get). You can't get fines from Europe now. Which is kind of double edge sword - so you don't have to pay them, but if you go back few years later and you have several big fines they may stop you and impound the car. But it has to be many and big fines for them to bother, they won't be chasing you for 1 fine for 12 Euros. 

That could be an advantage of Brexit that we shouldn't bother paying🤣
Thanks so if one gets big fat fines don't take same car next time 😃

Even before that it was rare to get the fine. I was stopped in Germany once - probably in 2016 or something like that and they wanted to impound my car for unpaid fines. But the fines were 3 years ago and I have acquired the car 6 months ago, so I was good to go. And that was the same trip when I got flashed in France twice and also once in Germany and never got any fines from either.

Either change the car or put different plate on it. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

Even before that it was rare to get the fine. I was stopped in Germany once - probably in 2016 or something like that and they wanted to impound my car for unpaid fines. But the fines were 3 years ago and I have acquired the car 6 months ago, so I was good to go. And that was the same trip when I got flashed in France twice and also once in Germany and never got any fines from either.

Either change the car or put different plate on it. 

Lucky escape lol well best is to drive sensibly and not risking a fine when there are speeding cameras.

1 minute ago, Hatat said:

Lucky escape lol well best is to drive sensibly and not risking a fine when there are speeding cameras.

Little bit harder to do on Autobahn. I was flashed in kind of stupid place also - so it was unlimited speed where I was doing like 230-240, then on long downhill there was a sign for 130, I noticed the sign and let-off (I never brake, only let off and let the car slow down), then 100m later another sign 110 and 25m later bunch of speed cameras. So when I let off it dropped to maybe 180 before the speed cameras. Then probably another 200m later it is unlimited speed again. So looked literally like deliberate speed trap for sole purpose of flashing people.

Not sure what were the fines in Germany back in 2016 (I know since then they have increased them), but I can't imagine it would be small for 70 over. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Little bit harder to do on Autobahn. I was flashed in kind of stupid place also - so it was unlimited speed where I was doing like 230-240, then on long downhill there was a sign for 130, I noticed the sign and let-off (I never brake, only let off and let the car slow down), then 100m later another sign 110 and 25m later bunch of speed cameras. So when I let off it dropped to maybe 180 before the speed cameras. Then probably another 200m later it is unlimited speed again. So looked literally like deliberate speed trap for sole purpose of flashing people.

Not sure what were the fines in Germany back in 2016 (I know since then they have increased them), but I can't imagine it would be small for 70 over. 

Unbelievable they set up people for speed traps to grab some cash.

9 hours ago, Sandandlime said:

Totally agree with a péage badge. I wouldn't be without mine and once dropped my card at a busy barrier and had to crawl beneath the car to find it. Not fun. Things are even harder in a right hooker, especially on your own.

https://ulys.vinci-autoroutes.com/e-toll-badge-ulys-classic/

Thanks for the link, the Google Maps app has an option to turn off the toll meaning it will divert you from the routes which have tolls. I was wondering if it actually works as some below mentioned the speed camera option will automatically turn off in the app once we enter France. 

Have you used any app that has a toll-off option?

18 hours ago, Hatat said:

Have you used any app that has a toll-off option?

I frequently avoid the autoroutes. I go to the Spanish Pyrenees fairly frequently and generally prefer a cross-country route as the A65 is expensive and only saves me around 45 minutes. Stopping and lunch options are aplenty and better than the autoroute, though to be fair French services aren't bad. Also, when touring in my Alvis, stressful at 100km/h, or TR4, happy enough at 130 km/h but too bloody noisy, the autoroutes are just unpleasant, despite being typically quiet when I use them. In an out of Bordeaux I use one or the other and they're mostly fine but best to to avoid busy times or you're just paying to park on them. North to South no other sensible option unless you are very flush with time and happy to overnight.

Having tried various options I generally use apple Maps but as far as I'm aware, they all have an 'avoid tolls option' . From Calais to where you're visiting would take around 3 hours more if you avoid the autoroutes (probably difficult to do completely) but saves a chunk of wad. Only you can decide the cost/benefit of the reduced journey time. The Ulys navigation app and ViaMichelin will give you péage costs.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 5:56 PM, Malc1 said:

Membership of RAC / AA offers impeccable free and up to the minute advice

If you are with the RAC whatever you do - do not break down in France. They sub-contract the service to French shoulder shruggers and are absolutely useless. At least in our experience they were. They have already been on rip-off Britian for their rubbish lack of help. Avoid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sandandlime said:

I go to the Spanish Pyrenees fairly frequently

Best route to Spain/ Biarritz/ Pyrenees/ Galicia etc is from Caen then straight down the middle via Clermont Ferrand after an overnight stop in the beautiful Loire valley. Then down to Pau for another stopover if it's getting late.

Loads of interesting visits en route if you wanted to and had the time.

Unless you don't mind the approx £1000 ferry return to Santander or Bilbao - both great towns to stay for a couple of nights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandandlime said:

I frequently avoid the autoroutes. I go to the Spanish Pyrenees fairly frequently and generally prefer a cross-country route as the A65 is expensive and only saves me around 45 minutes. Stopping and lunch options are aplenty and better than the autoroute, though to be fair French services aren't bad. Also, when touring in my Alvis, stressful at 100km/h, or TR4, happy enough at 130 km/h but too bloody noisy, the autoroutes are just unpleasant, despite being typically quiet when I use them. In an out of Bordeaux I use one or the other and they're mostly fine but best to to avoid busy times or you're just paying to park on them. North to South no other sensible option unless you are very flush with time and happy to overnight.

Having tried various options I generally use Apple Maps but as far as I'm aware, they all have an 'avoid tolls option' . From Calais to where you're visiting would take around 3 hours more if you avoid the autoroutes (probably difficult to do completely) but saves a chunk of wad. Only you can decide the cost/benefit of the reduced journey time. The Ulys navigation app and ViaMichelin will give you péage costs.

Thank you for the suggestions mate! 

1 hour ago, GMB said:

Best route to Spain/ Biarritz/ Pyrenees/ Galicia etc is from Caen then straight down the middle via Clermont Ferrand after an overnight stop in the beautiful Loire valley. Then down to Pau for another stopover if it's getting late.

Loads of interesting visits en route if you wanted to and had the time.

Unless you don't mind the approx £1000 ferry return to Santander or Bilbao - both great towns to stay for a couple of nights.

Thanks for the suggestion it seems fun! 

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2024 at 3:45 PM, Linas.P said:

That is correct... It is preventing course of justice in their view. But as I said by now all the devices automatically hide the camera location so won't be an issue. 

Other note - French will absolutelly smack your car with their doors and don't even look back. It is 100% normal and not considered an issue... it is almost like national hobby to hit each other cars and trade some paint. And I don't mean they do it deliberately, or carelessly or in some bad way - no for them, they just can't comprehend that being an issue, in France it is ALRIGHT to hit other person's car when opening the doors. So beware of where you park. 

This was mine few months ago and I was parked in the corner of the car park by the beach. 

416039624_3354727051491860_8179757909640980340_n.thumb.jpg.232ab29eedb4a8d929e3dc6f4da0a2e1.jpg

I love driving in n France. Never had problems with the police but the French definitely have a different perspective about auto property than we have. Was waiting at a peage once when the driver in front decided to reverse and join another queue. Straight into the front of me! After I got out and confronted the driver I got the Gallic shrug. It’s not the police you need to worry about but the French lack of auto respect. And best to stay off the roads after the 12 to 2 lunch break! At least every village has a pharmacy if problems occur!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

And best to stay off the roads after the 12 to 2 lunch break!

Absolutely - A litre of local red with lunch is not unusual. It's "obligatoire" as they say.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ala Larj said:

I love driving in n France. Never had problems with the police but the French definitely have a different perspective about auto property than we have. Was waiting at a peage once when the driver in front decided to reverse and join another queue. Straight into the front of me! After I got out and confronted the driver I got the Gallic shrug. It’s not the police you need to worry about but the French lack of auto respect. And best to stay off the roads after the 12 to 2 lunch break! At least every village has a pharmacy if problems occur!!

Wow I should treat them like 50% of a third-world driving style then 🤣

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links