Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can you take a modified car to France?

Hello Family,

Going to a friend's wedding in Central France a city called Manglieu early this August I am tempted to take my car well exhaust is modified.

Has anyone taken his car to France? Will it be fine if I take it or it would be a pain in the **s?

I would appreciate for sharing your experience & advice in this regard 🙂

Membership of RAC / AA offers impeccable free and up to the minute advice ……. on travelling overseas with your car 

Malc 

I've lived in France or coming on 20 years. Everything here is 'complicated'.

Fundamentally, you are not permitted to alter an exhaust from the manufacturer's standard. Even where I am located in rural France young guns drive around every day sporting exhausts that no one could ever consider legal but apart from swearing as they roar past, usually with the rap even louder than the exhaust, they seem to do so with with impunity. Allegedly, roadside noise tests take place from time to time but I've never come across one.

The non-standard restriction extends further than exhausts and basically includes any modifications to the vehicle. In addition to my ES, I have three other cars varying in age between 1947 and 1975 all of which have exhaust and other modifications. My TR4 is notably loud. No one is ever interested.

One of the complex things with living over here is learning when laws/regulations etc (and there is always at least one for everything) apply and when they're ignored. Unless your exhaust system is unusually noisy no one is going to be concerned. On the other hand, in the unlikely event that you are involved in an accident, things may be very different. 

• Like 2

Not sure if the French construction and use rules would apply to a UK registered car that is just visiting?

Surely if it complies with UK legislation you should be ok, yes there may be an issue if you wanted to register it in France.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spock66 said:

Not sure if the French construction and use rules would apply to a UK registered car that is just visiting?

Surely if it complies with UK legislation you should be ok, yes there may be an issue if you wanted to register it in France.

Thanks, no I am just visiting so it should be fine I reckon. 

Have you visited any EU country with your own car if modified of course? 🙂

2 hours ago, Sandandlime said:

I've lived in France or coming on 20 years. Everything here is 'complicated'.

Fundamentally, you are not permitted to alter an exhaust from the manufacturer's standard. Even where I am located in rural France young guns drive around every day sporting exhausts that no one could ever consider legal but apart from swearing as they roar past, usually with the rap even louder than the exhaust, they seem to do so with with impunity. Allegedly, roadside noise tests take place from time to time but I've never come across one.

The non-standard restriction extends further than exhausts and basically includes any modifications to the vehicle. In addition to my ES, I have three other cars varying in age between 1947 and 1975 all of which have exhaust and other modifications. My TR4 is notably loud. No one is ever interested.

One of the complex things with living over here is learning when laws/regulations etc (and there is always at least one for everything) apply and when they're ignored. Unless your exhaust system is unusually noisy no one is going to be concerned. On the other hand, in the unlikely event that you are involved in an accident, things may be very different. 

Thank you! So basically you are saying it's like a gamble if I get caught pay the fine if not jackpot 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hatat said:

Have you visited any EU country with your own car if modified of course? 🙂

Not recently but have driven down to Chamonix in the past in an unmodified car.

Driving back on the French motorways I was sticking to the 130k speed limit, it was the weekend of the Monaco Grand Prix, lots of British registered Ferraris and other exotica passed us like we weren't moving, must have been doing at least 150mph.

• Like 2

If you are just visiting they don't care as long as your paperwork is in order. If you are a local you can only drive on public roads after consuming at least 1 litre of wine with your lunch. It is also obligatory to drive without tax or insurance in the haut cantons.

I know, we lived there for 20 years.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, GMB said:

If you are just visiting they don't care as long as your paperwork is in order. If you are a local you can only drive on public roads after consuming at least 1 litre of wine with your lunch. It is also obligatory to drive without tax or insurance in the haut cantons.

I know, we lived there for 20 years.

Were you local in France with your 1 lit of wine for 20 years or it was the Haut Cantons 🤣🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hatat said:

Were you local in France with your 1 lit of wine

Local co-op decent wine for 1.5 Euros per litre en vrac. No wonder so many of our English friends died of alcoholism/ liver failure.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

I’m flabbergasted a whole one litre of wine lasted you 20 years ……. 😴

Malc 

Reminds me of a great film with Louis de Funes called cabbage soup. A pity you can't get subtitled versions.

When the doctor asks him at a health check how much wine he drinks, he says about 5 Litres. Doc says well that's not too bad after all this is France and 5 Litres a week is not unusual.  No, I mean 5 Litres a day.

Louis and his pal make home made cabbage soup and sit in their garden every night eating the soup and drinking wine. They then proceed to produce a lot of wind ( like blazing saddles ) . A passing Martian spaceship picks up the noise and investigates..... It just gets better from then on.

• Like 1

Yeah, I suppose in summary it is a bit of a gamble. It depends on how much louder the mod has made it, where/when you are and what you're doing. Showing off an RC F's performance might attract the wrong attention. Only you know how old it is and what you're going to be doing.

I believe similar rules are applied in the UK who, allegedly, also have roadside noise tests from time to time. French aggravation is definitely more aggravating so best avoided.

If the vehicle isn't silly and obviously loud, driven sensibly then, if it was me, I'd enjoy a great blast down to the Auvergne and search out some interesting routes for when you're there. YMMV.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sandandlime said:

Yeah, I suppose in summary it is a bit of a gamble. It depends on how much louder the mod has made it, where/when you are and what you're doing. Showing off an RC F's performance might attract the wrong attention. Only you know how old it is and what you're going to be doing.

I believe similar rules are applied in the UK who, allegedly, also have roadside noise tests from time to time. French aggravation is definitely more aggravating so best avoided.

If the vehicle isn't silly and obviously loud, driven sensibly then, if it was me, I'd enjoy a great blast down to the Auvergne and search out some interesting routes for when you're there. YMMV.

The spec of my car attracts lots of attention regardless of the exhaust anyway, yes it is loud and I don't like revving on streets and all that but yeh on the motorway Sport+ mode and paddle shifters do give me shivers 😄 and I do enjoy it honestly!

On daily basis I drive on normal mode which is okay for me or my ears are used to it now 🤣

• Haha 1

Given what you said then I reiterate what I said earlier: 'Go for it'!

I doubt that you'll be wanting Sport+ when on the autoroute as you won't need the additional responsiveness and the sound might get a bit tiresome at 130k+ hour after hour. In towns, normal mode, or even heaven forbid granny mode if congested. Up in the hills on some 'interesting' roads Sport+ would be fun. The only potential issue there is not scaring cyclists (this is taken very seriously and a requirement to leave at least 1.5m clear when passing) and you may find a lot of them on the interesting roads.

I haven't been over that way in a few years but some Departements have a non-autoroute speed limit of 80 km/h. Not where I am thankfully, though a bit further south it applies, I'm lucky as I'm allowed to roll at 90 km/h. Things can get really exciting! I was caught speeding in my 1947 Alvis once 🤣

• Like 1

You cant freely take modified British car to France. 

Yes - France does not allow unauthorised/uncertified modifications. Down to things like wheels - you just can't put aftermarket wheels on car unless they are specifically model certified. The way it is dealt with is via similar process as MOT in UK i.e. if you take modified car without certification it will simply fail. However, when it comes to foreign cars France would rely on country of origin to inspect the cars. So if you car has MOT in UK, then it is good to go - it is none of French business what is modified on your car, it is not for them that are certifying it. 

As long as your car is somewhat road legal they not going to pick on modification. By "somewhat" I mean no stupid camber, no flames shooting out of the bonnet and similar. For them to take action your car would have to be obviously unsafe for public roads.

In short their rules do not apply for cars registered in UK and just visiting, expect of things like tyre thread depth which you have to comply when visiting. My assumption would be that exhaust should not exceed certain noise levels as well, but possibility of you being pulled over for that is non-existent... unless you stop in front of police and start revving the engine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sandandlime said:

Given what you said then I reiterate what I said earlier: 'Go for it'!

I doubt that you'll be wanting Sport+ when on the autoroute as you won't need the additional responsiveness and the sound might get a bit tiresome at 130k+ hour after hour. In towns, normal mode, or even heaven forbid granny mode if congested. Up in the hills on some 'interesting' roads Sport+ would be fun. The only potential issue there is not scaring cyclists (this is taken very seriously and a requirement to leave at least 1.5m clear when passing) and you may find a lot of them on the interesting roads.

I haven't been over that way in a few years but some Departements have a non-autoroute speed limit of 80 km/h. Not where I am thankfully, though a bit further south it applies, I'm lucky as I'm allowed to roll at 90 km/h. Things can get really exciting! I was caught speeding in my 1947 Alvis once 🤣

Thanks, yes I will drive sensibly and can I use the Google map App for navigation I heard French police won't like Apps that show speed cameras? Or it's just a fib.

3 hours ago, Linas.P said:

You cant freely take modified British car to France. 

Yes - France does not allow unauthorised/uncertified modifications. Down to things like wheels - you just can't put aftermarket wheels on car unless they are specifically model certified. The way it is dealt with is via similar process as MOT in UK i.e. if you take modified car without certification it will simply fail. However, when it comes to foreign cars France would rely on country of origin to inspect the cars. So if you car has MOT in UK, then it is good to go - it is none of French business what is modified on your car, it is not for them that are certifying it. 

As long as your car is somewhat road legal they not going to pick on modification. By "somewhat" I mean no stupid camber, no flames shooting out of the bonnet and similar. For them to take action your car would have to be obviously unsafe for public roads.

In short their rules do not apply for cars registered in UK and just visiting, expect of things like tyre thread depth which you have to comply when visiting. My assumption would be that exhaust should not exceed certain noise levels as well, but possibility of you being pulled over for that is non-existent... unless you stop in front of police and start revving the engine.

Thanks man for sharing your thoughts don't worry I won't rev the car when I see any French Police🤣 do you reckon the it's same for the rest of the EU? Countries like Germany, Switzerland and the rest?

I reckon going to Paris will be problematic? 

19 minutes ago, Hatat said:

Thanks man for sharing your thoughts don't worry I won't rev the car when I see any French Police🤣 do you reckon the it's same for the rest of the EU? Countries like Germany, Switzerland and the rest?

I reckon going to Paris will be problematic? 

No - not an issue. Think of literally 10s of thousands of cars driving from UK to Nürburgring every year. They are barely road legal, nevermind OEM. Yes France has stricter laws regarding modifications, but they apply to French cars only... with exception of what I said clearly and obviously dangerous mods. 

So as long as your car does not look something like this:

👀 : r/Shitty_Car_Mods

... you will be fine. 

Germany also not an issue, it is more relaxed than France in a sense that you can certify mod on your car, rather than needed national certification of each mod for each car model. Not sure about Switzerland, but again - the strictest country in Europe is France when it comes to car modifications, it only get's better after that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

No - not an issue. Think of literally 10s of thousands of cars driving from UK to Nürburgring every year. They are barely road legal, nevermind OEM. Yes France has stricter laws regarding modifications, but they apply to French cars only... with exception of what I said clearly and obviously dangerous mods. 

So as long as your car does not look something like this:

👀 : r/Shitty_Car_Mods

... you will be fine. 

Germany also not an issue, it is more relaxed than France in a sense that you can certify mod on your car, rather than needed national certification of each mod for each car model. Not sure about Switzerland, but again - the strictest country in Europe is France when it comes to car modifications, it only get's better after that.

Thanks mate appreciate it, those pics though 🤣🤣

If you are on your own, then I'd suggest getting an automatic tag for autoroute tolls. On a return trip to the Alps I managed to kerb a wheel trying to get the left hand side of the car close enough to lean across and collect tickets or pay.

I heard a neat summary from an expat that explained why the French are so keen on having lots of rules. It means they can feel good about themselves and their independent spirit when they break a law. They also get a thrill of righteous indignation when someone else breaks the same law.

• Like 1

I drove through France and Belgium with a straight piped GS430. The car was even checked over by police at a services as it was on airride and decked at the station. It only had admiring attention and one of them recorded me leaving. 

Leaving Belgium, the police attention was high due to the event we were at and we had no issues.

Bar the obvious (speeding and being an ASBO in built up areas), which I'm assuming you don't, you'll be fine, trust me.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RichGS11 said:

I drove through France and Belgium with a straight piped GS430. The car was even checked over by police at a services as it was on airride and decked at the station. It only had admiring attention and one of them recorded me leaving. 

Leaving Belgium, the police attention was high due to the event we were at and we had no issues.

Bar the obvious (speeding and being an ASBO in built up areas), which I'm assuming you don't, you'll be fine, trust me.

Thanks mate! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links