Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

l.e.d. outer tail light

Some of l.e.d.s not working on n/s/r outer stop/tail light, tried o/s/r   light unit which normally works fine, in its place and it did exactly the same as faulty  one,tried n/s unit on o/s and it worked perfectly, have checked wiring and all readings are the same on both sides, hope  someone has some ideas as I am at a loss,thanks in advance for any help.

When you say readings the same was you touching one of your tester probes to earth and the other to each posi connection as it could be a earth issue in the connector cable to ground, or did you find the ground in the connector and test from there against each positive. Could just be a broken or corroded earth depends where that light packs picks it up from within the wiring loom. Run a loose cable from earth on the body to the connectors earth see if it then performs normally.

Hi granadaman,thanks for the reply, have checked power and earth at the lamp itself and at the connector about a foot from lamp all good,  and the same as the other side, which works fine. All I could think of was if the back lights are run by a module, could it be a fault with that, but have no idea if it has one, have checked on YouTube but no mention of one,by the way its 2008 rx400h. Thanks again Steve.

23 hours ago, Steven Purvis said:

Hi granadaman,thanks for the reply, have checked power and earth at the lamp itself and at the connector about a foot from lamp all good,  and the same as the other side, which works fine. All I could think of was if the back lights are run by a module, could it be a fault with that, but have no idea if it has one, have checked on YouTube but no mention of one,by the way its 2008 rx400h. Thanks again Steve.

There is no module or anything sophisticated, just dedicated wiring for each function back to the body ECU.

image.png.178c33f89eede00131a730692de774b0.png

1 - Tail light

2 - Indicator

3 - Ground

4 - Brake light

Are the voltage levels the same both sides? You might have high resistance on the ground where is goes onto the body and therefore the light cannot function correctly.

Hi Colin, thanks for the info,car is going to local auto electrician on Monday as I need it fixed as m.o.t. ran out last week,will pass on the info to him it should help thanks again for all the help, will post another message when fixed with info on fault cheers Steve.

10 hours ago, Steven Purvis said:

Hi Colin, thanks for the info,car is going to local auto electrician on Monday as I need it fixed as m.o.t. ran out last week,will pass on the info to him it should help thanks again for all the help, will post another message when fixed with info on fault cheers Steve.

Just to add, these rear lights are prone to water ingress as the big rubber cover at the back becomes unstuck which can be glued down again. Therefore the issue might just be moisture, or water has damaged the electrical circuitry within the light unit - although that doesn't explain why the fault stays with the vehicle's wiring and not the light. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links