Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warning lights - VSC, TRC, Engine

apcbbb

I'd be grateful for some advice please.

I have a 2007 Sc430 which was running perfectly until this morning (115k).  On starting today the VSC, TRC and engine lights stay on with the VSC flashing slowly. Engine seems to be running smoothly and no other obvious faults.  

Is there a pattern to this combination which points to the problem? Safe to drive? Am I looking at a trip to the computer wizards or is their an easy fix?

Apologies if this has been covered before.

IMG_4218.jpeg

Andrew…Quite often that combination of lights on can be the oxygen sensors in the exhaust or the ABS reluctor rings worn on the rear driveshafts .

First thing to do is get the engine codes read using a code reader, get it done at a garage or buy your own engine code reader ….lots on amazon 👍🏻

£20 will buy you a code reader….

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autel-MaxiScan-Diagnostic-Retrieve-Readiness/dp/B07Q86G6MX/ref=sr_1_10?adgrpid=58974794291&hvadid=259035590577&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9044970&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11402486445915422661&hvtargid=kwd-300985630262&hydadcr=28153_1821062&keywords=engine+code+reader&qid=1707393003&sr=8-10

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it's an O2 sensor it needs sorting but it's usually fine to drive, sometimes it will reset. As the traction control warning light is on I would guess it is more likely a reluctor ring/ABS sensor but some of the warning lights seem to come on in sympathy. 🙃 The AFS light is another that might appear to confirm the beams wont move with the steering wheel.

I had a single speed sensor wire break on the GS in the snow a few weeks ago and the dash lit up reporting multiple systems disabled so sometimes it can look like a far more serious failure than it actually is. Code reader said 'debris on the front left sensor' but it was a simple wire break. Not welcome in -5 degrees and 6 inches of snow but fixable.

It needs investigating but if it's an O2 sensor, disconnecting the negative lead on the Battery for a short while may reset it. The downside is that it will reset other things too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Bob and Neil.  I am very reassured by your analyses and will get those codes read asap.  Your comments on the reluctor rings may be pertinent as I've recently noticed a hint of ABS "judder" on gentle braking just before stopping.

The last thing I need at the moment is 'sympathetic' warning lights!!

• Like 1

A judder through the pedal just before you stop would indicate ABS reluctor rings on the driveshafts. Although get the engine codes read first .

If in time you get a garage to look at the driveshafts, get the ABS sensor taken out the rear hub, if the ridges on the reluctor rings are worn away like this photo..they need replacing .

IMG_0678.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple of questions.

1, When changing the reluctor rings, are the dust shrouds necessary to change?

I’v read that some people don’t put them back in 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Also when purchasing reluctor rings, do the dust shrouds come with them?

2, Is it advisable to change the ABS sensors at the same time?

1 hour ago, Russ59 said:

Couple of questions.

1, When changing the reluctor rings, are the dust shrouds necessary to change?

I’v read that some people don’t put them back in 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Also when purchasing reluctor rings, do the dust shrouds come with them?

2, Is it advisable to change the ABS sensors at the same time?

You’ve open up a can or worms now ! This was a disagreement on the LW site Richard said leave them off Nick said they should be refitted !

I agree the dust deflectors should be refitted, yet if you only plan to keep the car a few more years maybe dust and metallic debris won’t cause problems with the ABS sensor….your gamble 👍🏻

No need to replace ABS sensor if it’s working okay .

deflectors……

..and sold separately.

https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/product/lexus-sc430-rear-wheel-bearing-dust-deflector/

• Like 1

I bought an OBD reader as suggested and it has come up with one error code - P0345 (camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 2). The engine has not had any recent garage work and appears to be running smoothly. Does this change my focus from the reluctor rings? - and more importantly should I be driving the car? Am I likely to be doing damage?

As always your advice would be very welcome. 

1 hour ago, apcbbb said:

I bought an OBD reader as suggested and it has come up with one error code - P0345 (camshaft position sensor A circuit bank 2). The engine has not had any recent garage work and appears to be running smoothly. Does this change my focus from the reluctor rings? - and more importantly should I be driving the car? Am I likely to be doing damage?

As always your advice would be very welcome. 

The code reader had the ability to clear codes as well, so clear code and see if it comes back on again.

It has been known for the electronics to have a little glitch and throw up a code when it doesn’t mean it .

if it does come back, that camshaft sensor needs to be fix first before looking at other stuff .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links