Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking of moving to UX

Hi all,

Been a member on here and active until I sold my CT 4 years ago. I then bought a Toyota C-HR Excel - which I’m happy with, however, I always yearn to be in a Lexus.

So, I’ve been offered an 2023 UX F Sport Design with 9k miles for £29k. Having had a test drive in one a couple of weeks ago and thinking how more responsive it was v my 1.8L hybrid C-HR, I’ve since been looking around at the UX.

Do I wait for the LBX, go for the UX or just keep my C-HR? Was shocked to see an insurance quote at £700 for the UX today 🥴. Currently pay £400 for the Toyota. 

Is there anything anyone would like to advise on with UX? e.g. anyone moved from C-HR to UX? Are the UX a target for thieves?

My observations:- Rear leg room is similar, equipment similar, servicing dearer on UX, no spare wheel on UX ( added spare wheel kit on C-HR ), insurance dearer. UX would be 5 years younger than C-HR.

Any comments negative or positive would be appreciated.

Many Thanks. 👍👍

Insurance is getting a right pain, have you had a recent quote for your C-HR ? probably not a lot in it. F Sport Design has "old fasioned" remote locking not keyless so you can't use the remote signal snatch method to steal it. Dunno if it has easy canbus access for that type of theft but I can't say I've seen it mentioned at all even for the keyless versions. I did try the C-HR and Yaris Cross before settling on the UX which I don't regret. Price seems on the high side for a relatively higher mileage newish car in the current used car slump.

38 minutes ago, Bezzer said:

Insurance is getting a right pain, have you had a recent quote for your C-HR ? probably not a lot in it. F Sport Design has "old fasioned" remote locking not keyless so you can't use the remote signal snatch method to steal it. Dunno if it has easy canbus access for that type of theft but I can't say I've seen it mentioned at all even for the keyless versions. I did try the C-HR and Yaris Cross before settling on the UX which I don't regret. Price seems on the high side for a relatively higher mileage newish car in the current used car slump.

Thanks for the reply.

My C-HR insurarance is due next month, so will see what they're trying to rip me off with. 

I have seen alternative examples of UX with less miles recorded ( 2k ) for less than the one I've been offered, so won't be accepting that one.

I may even wait for the LBX to become fully available. My wife had a MK4 Yaris with same engine installed and tbh, it went well and returned 70mpg. I know the LBX will be different in terms of mpg & refinement though.

I'm aslo not too bothered about keyless entry, but do want BSM and RCTA......I've got used to it in my C-HR. Might be worth hanging on until after March. In saying that, I have been offered a good price on my car via a car buying site.

Decisions!!

6 hours ago, adnewton said:

Thanks for the reply.

My C-HR insurarance is due next month, so will see what they're trying to rip me off with. 

I have seen alternative examples of UX with less miles recorded ( 2k ) for less than the one I've been offered, so won't be accepting that one.

I may even wait for the LBX to become fully available. My wife had a MK4 Yaris with same engine installed and tbh, it went well and returned 70mpg. I know the LBX will be different in terms of mpg & refinement though.

I'm aslo not too bothered about keyless entry, but do want BSM and RCTA......I've got used to it in my C-HR. Might be worth hanging on until after March. In saying that, I have been offered a good price on my car via a car buying site.

Decisions!!

Is the new 130 engine available in the mk4 Yaris ?

5 minutes ago, cur666 said:

Is the new 130 engine available in the mk4 Yaris ?

Yes, now available both Yaris and Yaris Cross (not entirely clear if it’s identical, but, there is a new 130 engine for those cars in top trims). Won’t be in any existing cars, but, it’s an evolution of the 115 (which I know drives very nicely). 

14 hours ago, cur666 said:

I may even wait for the LBX to become fully available. My wife had a MK4 Yaris with same engine installed and tbh, it went well and returned 70mpg. I know the LBX will be different in terms of mpg & refinement though

So...not the same engine at all.

5 minutes ago, adnewton said:

Could it be same engine as Yaris GR? 

Its a reworked 3 pot engine....new balancer shaft....increased to 130 bhp etc...not sure if they have reached UK  buyers as yet?

53 minutes ago, cur666 said:

Its a reworked 3 pot engine....new balancer shaft....increased to 130 bhp etc...not sure if they have reached UK  buyers as yet?

The engine itself really hasn't changed much and still creates 90 bhp, it is the hybrid transaxle and motor that gives it the extra power. I think it's another month before customers get deliveries, just the demonstrators in the UK at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Current what car magazine has a lbx v chr test, the two litre engine in the chr offers better performance according to their figures, so if speed more important then ux probably better? 

11 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

i would avoid this 3 pot type of engine. Sounds OK but will rev high and the average Lexus owner will give it a miss 

TBH, my wife had the MK4 Yaris and I found it quite refined. It’s obviously same in Yaris Cross, which is an heavier car and not heard any reports of it struggling in that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, adnewton said:

TBH, my wife had the MK4 Yaris and I found it quite refined. It’s obviously same in Yaris Cross, which is an heavier car and not heard any reports of it struggling in that.

Correct.  It’s a super engine.  M15 three cylinder version of the M20 in our UXs.   

The 2024 UX will use the same 2l engine from the CHR which is the 5th generation hybrid system but Lexus do some tweaks for the UX. As far as the 2nd generation of UX, its timeline is between late 2025 and early 2026. Insurance is really higher then the CHR compared to Lexus UX is more premium than the CHR but as of now Toyota is leading the Lexus in terms of design and specs even though its the same conpany. 

42 minutes ago, nivlem said:

The 2024 UX will use the same 2l engine from the CHR which is the 5th generation hybrid system but Lexus do some tweaks for the UX. As far as the 2nd generation of UX, its timeline is between late 2025 and early 2026. Insurance is really higher then the CHR compared to Lexus UX is more premium than the CHR but as of now Toyota is leading the Lexus in terms of design and specs even though its the same conpany. 

Lexus use Toyota to prove their new design strategies; only when data is favourable, do Lexus take on Toyota components and then tweak them.
Toyota are Designed in Europe and Lexus in Japan. Safer and cheaper to test in Europe - I would assume.

I had the UX as a loan car last time I went in for annual service and I really liked it, except for the tiny luggage space. I don't think I would be able to comfortably travel long distance on such small boot... Other than that the car was cool.

3 minutes ago, Mr_Groundhog said:

I had the UX as a loan car last time I went in for annual service and I really liked it, except for the tiny luggage space. I don't think I would be able to comfortably travel long distance on such small boot... Other than that the car was cool.

Same thoughts here. My C-HR has a small boot due to having a spare wheel fitted, but feel the UX doesn’t have much depth at all. 

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

I see that What Car has made the LBX their car of the year, so I would guess demand will be sky high and availability limited.  My local Lexus dealer had not even seen one a couple of weeks ago!

35 minutes ago, johdhm said:

I see that What Car has made the LBX their car of the year, so I would guess demand will be sky high and availability limited.  My local Lexus dealer had not even seen one a couple of weeks ago!

My dealer doesn’t have one until end of this month! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links