Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thumping noise from boot area

Hi, can anyone help me with my is300h 2020 . When I go over bumps I'm getting a thumping noise from the boot . I've tightened down the Battery,  removed the framework where the tyre gunk goes, even removed my jack . The boot lid wasn't fitting properly so I've extended the rubber mounts and that fits nice and snug now .  I've even stuck down the rear folding seats but I'm still getting the thumping sound . If anyone has any ideas I'd be really grateful.  Cheers Chris 

1 hour ago, chrisphet said:

When I go over bumps I'm getting a thumping noise from the boot

Have you eliminated the possibility that it might be related to the rear suspension?  Does it appear to originate from the centre of the rear or favour one side?

It seems to favour more to the right side . I've given the rear on both sides a good heavy push down and it bounces straight back with no bounce. It's very frustrating as it really spoils the drive and dread hitting heavy bumps . Is there another way of testing the rear suspension? 

as far as I know it's a straight car , can't see any evidence of a rear end bump . Yeah I gave the exhaust a good waggle and it seems very secure 

1 hour ago, chrisphet said:

Is there another way of testing the rear suspension? 

I suspect a mechanic might put it on a hoist and then jack up the chassis so that the suspension is no longer loaded. - which might reveal any source of movement or wear.

1 hour ago, LenT said:
2 hours ago, chrisphet said:

Is there another way of testing the rear suspension? 

I suspect a mechanic might put it on a hoist and then jack up the chassis so that the suspension is no longer loaded. - which might reveal any source of movement or wear.

Next time I'm off work I'll pop round to my mechanic and let him look . Thanks 

• Like 2

You need a garage that has a ramp with “shuffle plates” the car is driven on and the plates shake the car while all the suspension components are checked for play.

In your case the noise in the boot should also show up.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links