Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

windscreen scratches

Iv'e noticed today, as the sun's been out, I have quite a few very faint scratches on the windscreen. Is there anything I could try to remove them that you know of 

thanks 

35 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Jeweller’s rouge, probably applied with a rotary polisher as it would take a long time by hand if it’s anything bigger than a single small scratch. 

Thanks, Colin 🙂 

15 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

i see Colin on Amazon, there are 2 types of Jeweller’s rouge, paste, or powder. When the weather gets a little better, I will try these out 

I look forward to reading of your results - - I've oft wondered how effective it can be

1 hour ago, Illogan said:

I look forward to reading of your results - - I've oft wondered how effective it can be

A new Lexus windscreen is £1,700 supplied and fitted and is not covered on my Lexus insurance so as my good friend Gary on YouTube would say before doing his restaurant reviews let's give it a go 🤣

24 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

A new Lexus windscreen is £1,700 supplied and fitted and is not covered on my Lexus insurance so as my good friend Gary on YouTube would say before doing his restaurant reviews let's give it a go 🤣

Success will depend on how deep the scratches are.  I note that one windscreen repairer suggests that anything you can clearly feel with a fingernail is probably over 40 microns and therefore may not polish out very well without causing further damage to the screen.

Although fine jeweller’s rouge paste will deal with very fine scratches, there are more traditional methods that you could try first as you may already have them.  Namely. Brasso or a whitening toothpaste - both of which can be applied on a microfibre cloth if using in liquid or paste form, after throughly cleaning the windscreen first.

Afterwards, wash away the residue with warm soapy water or water dosed with washing up liquid, and allow to dry before polishing and checking results.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LenT said:

Success will depend on how deep the scratches are.  I note that one windscreen repairer suggests that anything you can clearly feel with a fingernail is probably over 40 microns and therefore may not polish out very well without causing further damage to the screen.

Although fine jeweller’s rouge paste will deal with very fine scratches, there are more traditional methods that you could try first as you may already have them.  Namely. Brasso or a whitening toothpaste - both of which can be applied on a microfibre cloth if using in liquid or paste form, after throughly cleaning the windscreen first.

Afterwards, wash away the residue with warm soapy water or water dosed with washing up liquid, and allow to dry before polishing and checking results.

Thanks, Len. The scratches are just from the wiper blades being dirty, I would guess. You can't feel them with your fingernail and can only see them when driving in the sun head on. Having said that, you will be surprised how many I have, at least 5 that are quite bad in length and dozens of very small ones 

I will, you know, as and when I get round to seeing to it

I was also surprised that the Lexus screen is not covered under my Lexus insurance. I guess that's the same for all insurance policies  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

I was also surprised that the Lexus screen is not covered under my Lexus insurance. I guess that's the same for all insurance policies  

In what way 'not covered under my Lexus insurance'? My non-Lexus insurance covers the screen for repair or replacement with the usual excess of £70 for replacement £0 for chip repairs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

Not covered at all?

My AA Insurance covers the repair and replacement of all the glass, although not necessarily with the Lexus brand product but an equivalent.

I would have to check the actual policy to see if there were any conditions or if small scratches were included.  But were it to be smashed by an errant brick ,say, replacement and any resulting bodywork damage would be covered.

(Now, where did I put that brick?). 🤔

i meant that the original Lexus screen is not covered, only a substitute which may not be that good? Sound noise etc the specification would be lower hence much cheaper?

Sorry about not making that point clearer 

• Like 1

My neighbour's Kia was lucky in that when his windscreen broke, they couldn't get a substitute so had to wait 4 months for a replacement. He was given a courtesy car, so all went well 

56 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

i meant that the original Lexus screen is not covered, only a substitute which may not be that good? Sound noise etc the specification would be lower hence much cheaper?

Sorry about not making that point clearer 

I had my RC300h windscreen replaced under insurance and the replacement was genuine Lexus , took a few weeks to arrive from Lexus Europe 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links