Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Metal type squeal on reverse or braking - shims?

HI all

Looking for some advice or if anybody has had a similar issue? Basically when my 450Gh is in reverse and breaking there is sometimes a high squeal noise ( sounds like when a pad is getting low) , the pads and discs look fine but I have read about it being shims? Does this sound right? I notice on Lexus parts direct there are anti squeal pads. Any advice before I take to to my local indie? On a side note when driving at normal speed there is no sound

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Japcarsarethebest said:

Any advice before I take to to my local indie?

Well, your local indie should have the answer anyway, I would have thought.

But specific lubricants are available to lightly apply to the backs of pads, shoes and shims to eliminate brake squeal.

Here are some examples:

https://www.ferodo.com/blog/how-to-use-brake-grease-and-other-lubricants.html#:~:text=Best practice for installing pads,will contaminate the pad surface.

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/gb/brake-anti-squeal-p000411.html#3078

10 minutes ago, LenT said:

Well, your local indie should have the answer anyway, I would have thought.

But specific lubricants are available to lightly apply to the backs of pads, shoes and shims to eliminate brake squeal.

Here are some examples:

https://www.ferodo.com/blog/how-to-use-brake-grease-and-other-lubricants.html#:~:text=Best practice for installing pads,will contaminate the pad surface.

https://www.liqui-moly.com/en/gb/brake-anti-squeal-p000411.html#3078

That's great thanks for the swift response...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update my little indie has checked all discs,drums and pads nothing wrong with them , did say there was a lot of dust/debris which he has cleared out and also put lubricant on so to run and test for now , best part was he noticed one of my AFS sensors had snapped although the sensor was fine so he popped some weld on and reset the code now got working AFS and no error , he did say one of the TPMS sensors was not registering so looking at getting them replaced again something they are happy to do. So going from needing front pads or as  I suspected, a clean,some repair work and a general check underneath for suspension etc was all that was required. Total charged £35 , and nothing else to report they said . Well happy with that and with a local indie I can trust. Did ask if he could replace the TMPS sensors and reprogram he said that should be ok so probably get all four changed. Will be going to local Lexus for a Battery check and possible an alignment on the steering , car pulling on slightly to the left which just needs a little correction, read on the forums that owner took their car to Lexus and was only charged £80 to calibrate and reprogram the rear steering...

oh still love driving the car every day glad I bit the bullet and went for it  

• Like 1

Oh also spent some money at Lexus parts direct for a set of wheel locking nuts ( the current ones looked nasty and the box has seen better days) so a new set with new box, also replaced brake rubber as the old one was worn , got a set of carpet mat clips and replaced the broken ones driver and passenger side. Small things but looks better. Also bought leather cleaner and protector , gave the seats a good old clean and have come up really well...

• Like 1

Just a quick update , since the indy has cleaned up brakes not had any noise issues to date, one thing I did get was VSC error message and AFS after putting fuel in , having checked forums previously tried the gas cap off and on , this actually removed the messages so looks like I had not tightened fully and a cheap easy fix.

Next thing are replacing the bonnet  gas struts although they hold the bonnet it is not firm and come down on it's own a couple of times. OEM parts not expensive and not an expensive job to do 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links