Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking for LED low beam recommendations for my IS250

Joeh212

Hi folks,

I've an 2006 IS250 Sport and after a foolish but quick spin into one of those awful washing robots ended up with quite a bit of water in the drivers side headlight, I thought I had dried it out and which allowed it to work for a short time but eventually the HID low beam stopped working.

After a rather painful learning experience taking off the front bumper (whoever did it before me broke near every clip and rounded out a few screws) I pulled the headlight unit apart to find the ballast completely submerged in water and was absolutely knackered.

I am reading the after market replacement ballasts are very unreliable and figured I may as well swap em out for LEDs as changing the headlights to Vlands is just a bit to expensive. I am not too concerned about it failing the NCT (MOT to most of you) but I am a little confused as to what type of bulb I need, any H11? Is it better off going with a reputable brand such as Osram or Phillips or are there some nice budget friends options out there.

And as for ECU errors, are there options that juts avoid this? I do have techstream working.

also, the metal bracket that holds the wiring harness to the headlight unit, is it possible to replace this individually ? It is so rusty its barely offering any support.

Any advice would be great,

Cheers,

Joe

15 minutes ago, Joeh212 said:

I am a little confused as to what type of bulb I need, any H11?

I’ve had very good service from this bulb supplier.  And they’re very willing to offer advice.

Here’s their range of LED bulbs and I see that there are a few H11s among them.  Is this any help?

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/led-headlight-bulbs/

25 minutes ago, LenT said:

I’ve had very good service from this bulb supplier.  And they’re very willing to offer advice.

Here’s their range of LED bulbs and I see that there are a few H11s among them.  Is this any help?

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/led-headlight-bulbs/

Excellent! Have you converted them?

12 minutes ago, Joeh212 said:

Excellent! Have you converted them?

No, Joe.

My bulbs were D4S type and I replaced them with the Osram Xenon HID Laser bulbs.

I found them to be a considerable improvement over the standard bulb - especially the dip beam.  But remember, that could just be specific to my IS250.  

Mind you, that was a couple of years ago and going the LED route might be easier now with new products available.  I’d be inclined to check with ABD and see what they have to say that’s specific to your Lexus.

26 minutes ago, LenT said:

No, Joe.

My bulbs were D4S type and I replaced them with the Osram Xenon HID Laser bulbs.

I found them to be a considerable improvement over the standard bulb - especially the dip beam.  But remember, that could just be specific to my IS250.  

Mind you, that was a couple of years ago and going the LED route might be easier now with new products available.  I’d be inclined to check with ABD and see what they have to say that’s specific to your Lexus.

I will send them an email.

Thanks.

Check the legality of converting to LED. This is because the headlight lens is Not designed to work with any other bulb except the ones installed from new.

Your best bet is to look for used headlights of which there are a few online.

I think someone on here has a pair still fir sale.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 2:18 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Check the legality of converting to LED. This is because the headlight lens is Not designed to work with any other bulb except the ones installed from new.

Your best bet is to look for used headlights of which there are a few online.

I think someone on here has a pair still fir sale.

No legality issues with LEDs on our cars. We have projector housing. I've had LED bulbs on my car for well over 1.5yrs without any problems. 

@Joeh212 The best bulbs are made by Boslla, Bevinsee, OSRAM & Philips however if you have factory HIDs KEEP THEM.

Not all aftermarket ballasts are bad, you can get very good aftermarket ballasts from Morimoto or GTR Lighting. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links