Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hit pothole

People running NX450+ and RZ,s complaining about other people’s pension eh?   It’s a despicable entitled culture we live in these days and I can’t for the life of me understand the logic.  I’ve got one of those pensions and if I lost it, I’d be routing for those still with one to keep it, not lose it too but that’s the world we live in.  We’ll have to hope people running old Vauxhalls don’t wish Lexus owners bad luck.  The neighbour hit a pot hole in her Mazda coming to the airport for me and it ruined a nearly new all season tyre.  That was several weeks ago and they’re still fighting it.  Of course there will be people claiming free tyres in bogus claims which won’t help the cause but we can deflect that by blaming pensions.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don C said:

People running NX450+ and RZ,s complaining about other people’s pension eh?   It’s a despicable entitled culture we live in these days and I can’t for the life of me understand the logic.  I’ve got one of those pensions and if I lost it, I’d be routing for those still with one to keep it, not lose it too but that’s the world we live in.  We’ll have to hope people running old Vauxhalls don’t wish Lexus owners bad luck.  The neighbour hit a pot hole in her Mazda coming to the airport for me and it ruined a nearly new all season tyre.  That was several weeks ago and they’re still fighting it.  Of course there will be people claiming free tyres in bogus claims which won’t help the cause but we can deflect that by blaming pensions.  

Moreover, dare I say many people have no quantitive  idea what they are talking about when it comes to public pensions. For example, historically many people with private pensions chose when and how much to contribute towards a pension. By contrast currently in the NHS as an example my daughter has a personal contribution to that pension that deducts 9.8% of her gross income towards that occupational pension. Dare I say if anybody in any sector contributed 9.8% of their pay over a period of 40 years towards their pension then it would be job done.

I am not coming back  for a dialogue on that issue as it's not really appropriate to the thread, but I thought a balancing comment worth doing.

• Like 2

🤩 the Scowls of Justice have balanced and spoken 🤣

Just a Q :  Do wider tyres, with higher pressures,  suffer greater than skinny tyres when pot-holing ?

Malc 

18 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

🤩 the Scowls of Justice have balanced and spoken 🤣

Just a Q :  Do wider tyres, with higher pressures,  suffer greater than skinny tyres when pot-holing ?

Malc 

Just an answer and it may be wrong. If you deliver an equal force through a small area and a larger area then that force becomes more destructive when applied to a smaller area as the force is more concentrated. Perhaps that implies that skinny tyres are less protective than a broader tyre for the same reason, but even if true the measurable difference may be insignificant in terms of damage done to the wheel. You know I am going to avoid putting this to the test.😉

Ah I see, the difference between being hit by a handgun bullet and a 50 tonne WW11  bomb is irrelevant …… 

You and your tyre, no longer compos mentis following the impact 😇

Malc 

On 2/27/2024 at 8:46 PM, fourbanks said:

Iv'e just hit a massive pothole here at Gatwick. The police are attending, but my wife and I are really shaken by this. It's over 2 meters in size and 6 inches deep, the car took a very hard blow. I've put into the council a report of what's happened in case of any damage. As for the car itself, it seems to be OK, but by the sound of what happened I'm sure some damage must have taken place. What's best now to proceed, do you think. The local Lexus dealer will charge around £150 for a quick look i'm sure 

The pothole in question has further developed into a major pothole, with a 100-meter section of Charlwood road at Gatwick being now closed off and operated by traffic lights

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

When does a “ pothole “ become a sinkhole 🤔

Malc 

It could well be Malcolm have further developed into a sinkhole. I went past there yesterday, but because of the heavy rain I couldn't make out the extent of what's happened 

as i said above, my car has been inspected for free by my Lexus dealer, and it appears to be OK, but we will not for certain until the MOT in July 2025 comes around when the wheels will get a thorough inspection along with all the other parts that get inspected 

I'm keeping the car and now need to put this behind me.

It's not the first time i've been involved in a heavy collision, the last one was in 1969 with my dad on a double-decker bus in sheerness going under a low bridge late at night in November with heavy rain ripping the roof off and we in the front seats upstairs. My dad just saw what was about to happen and got hold of me and head first through me down the stairs. 

Same noise as the pothole with violent shaking so yes it's not easy for me at this time but could have been worse with the car flipping over 

23 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

When does a “ pothole “ become a sinkhole 🤔

Malc 

When it’s in the kitchen?

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

It could well be Malcolm have further developed into a sinkhole. I went past there yesterday, but because of the heavy rain I couldn't make out the extent of what's happened 

as i said above, my car has been inspected for free by my Lexus dealer, and it appears to be OK, but we will not for certain until the MOT in July 2025 comes around when the wheels will get a thorough inspection along with all the other parts that get inspected 

I'm keeping the car and now need to put this behind me.

It's not the first time i've been involved in a heavy collision, the last one was in 1969 with my dad on a double-decker bus in sheerness going under a low bridge late at night in November with heavy rain ripping the roof off and we in the front seats upstairs. My dad just saw what was about to happen and got hold of me and head first through me down the stairs. 

Same noise as the pothole with violent shaking so yes it's not easy for me at this time but could have been worse with the car flipping over 

No old roads under bridges now in sheerness …….. there were trams in olden times too I’ve been reading ……. near where I now live on the delightful Isle of Sheppey ……. AND plenty of current potholes for sure 🥵

I treat them as traffic calming measures …… along with the never ending road works and zillions of cones …… simply a pain in the proverbial 

Malc 

23 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

No old roads under bridges now in sheerness …….. there were trams in olden times too I’ve been reading ……. near where I now live on the delightful Isle of Sheppey ……. AND plenty of current potholes for sure 🥵

I treat them as traffic calming measures …… along with the never ending road works and zillions of cones …… simply a pain in the proverbial 

Malc 

My aunt use to live in invicta road with the small alleyways at the back. She just had gas lighting in those days before she died in 1980 100 years old 

i haven't been back since, so am not sure as to how things have changed 

Changed and changing immeasurably …… with projected zillions of new homes with roads to match and de-supamkts …….. indeed a relatively newish Morrisons and within half mile a brand new Aldi AND Lidl being built …….. housing galore a’coming methinks …….. new roads, cones by the miles and potholes from all those heavy trucks earth shifting forever …… potholes pot’oles and more putoles……. traffic calming for sure …….. blessed by the Queenborough Town Quay for me ……… so where can I possibly go motoring to excess in my 4ltr V8 bliss-machines …… 20mph zone here toooooo ….. Gawd ‘elp us 🤣

Malc 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Changed and changing immeasurably …… with projected zillions of new homes with roads to match and de-supamkts …….. indeed a relatively newish Morrisons and within half mile a brand new Aldi AND Lidl being built …….. housing galore a’coming methinks …….. new roads, cones by the miles and potholes from all those heavy trucks earth shifting forever …… potholes pot’oles and more putoles……. traffic calming for sure …….. blessed by the Queenborough Town Quay for me ……… so where can I possibly go motoring to excess in my 4ltr V8 bliss-machines …… 20mph zone here toooooo ….. Gawd ‘elp us 🤣

Malc 

From what i remember, the whole place in 1980 was pretty bad, so it all needed a radical plan to get it up to date. i guess there are no jobs there still. In the summer, the odd thing, i distinctly remember being the only person on the beach and in the slot machine arcades playing pinball. i still play pinball today over in the VPF forum and on the steam platform with Zen studios 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

From what i remember, the whole place in 1980 was pretty bad, so it all needed a radical plan to get it up to date. i guess there are no jobs there still. In the summer, the odd thing, i distinctly remember being the only person on the beach and in the slot machine arcades playing pinball. i still play pinball today over in the VPF forum and on the steam platform with Zen studios 

Jobs aplenty here nowadays …… much industry and daily commute INwards to Sheppey from outlying mainland areas ……. Indeed the majority of employees, 400+ at our Aldi distribution centre are daily inward migrants I believe …… bit like Gibraltar with inward daily migration for the jobs on offer ……. If you’ve ever seen the Qs of workers crossing the border from mainland Spain every day 🤔 ……. and then going back home in the evening 👌

Roads roads and more roads here now  …….. potholes aplenty for sure 

Malc 

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

Jobs aplenty here nowadays …… much industry and daily commute INwards to Sheppey from outlying mainland areas ……. Indeed the majority of employees, 400+ at our Aldi distribution centre are daily inward migrants I believe …… bit like Gibraltar with inward daily migration for the jobs on offer ……. If you’ve ever seen the Qs of workers crossing the border from mainland Spain every day 🤔 ……. and then going back home in the evening 👌

Roads roads and more roads here now  …….. potholes aplenty for sure 

Malc 

That sure sounds like Gibraltar.

They need to get their act together with the potholes, i look after 2 main roads here at Gatwick with my weekly inspections and as i said above that to hit this pothole of which just a couple of days earlier i had reported i just can't understand. 

i guess with my wife and i chatting, i forgot that we were coming up to this pothole. i saw it very late and if it hadn't been for a car coming the other way could have swerved and missed it 

we had a very bad pile up here on Friday in the rush hour on the m23 you have probably heard about that 15 cars involved 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Just a small update on my car that hit this pothole. The car still drives as if nothing has happened, so I guess I got very lucky. Charlwood road, where this happened at Gatwick, is still not good in many places near where the main pothole I hit so do drive with caution on this road and avoid if possible at night 

i should also add that all the side roads in many parts of Crawley are poor so take care at night 

Collected my son-in-law from a vasectomy op this morning. I think we may have a new Pothole detector!

All we need is to get all the Councillors and Highways Officers to have the snip then drive them around the area. Start with the lowest paid and by the time the turn of the 'Leader' comes around the roads will be like glass!

• Haha 4

I hope you played some suitable music for your son in law..perhaps. the Nutcracker Suite or The Colonel Bogey March ( Hitler has only got one b....)

As For incompetent Councillors,Vasectomy is no good...have them castrated.

Decades ago when potholes were rare on European roads, I used to travel frequently on business to "third world" countries where damage to tyres for which holes were largely to blame was accepted as a simple fact of life by the local motoring populations.  On the relatively few occasions when I drove hire cars I managed, thankfully, never to get a flat, simply, I think, as the result of being highly circumspect as well as lucky.  Certainly, I never acquired sufficient experience or developed the sort of skill - which would be useful on many European roads today - that enabled some local drivers, especially professional ones, to determine the size, depth and nature of potholes at a glance and then negotiate them accordingly.  In this regard, there were - and no doubt still are - two directly conflicting schools of thought.  Namely, you either accelerate on approaching a hole in the expectation of "flying" over it or, at worst, merely clipping its edge, or, alternatively, you slow down, sometimes almost to a standstill, and gently steer in and out of it.  I suppose the decision depends on finding the right combination of self-confidence and rationality.

1 hour ago, Rabbers said:

Decades ago when potholes were rare on European roads, I used to travel frequently on business to "third world" countries where damage to tyres for which holes were largely to blame was accepted as a simple fact of life by the local motoring populations.  On the relatively few occasions when I drove hire cars I managed, thankfully, never to get a flat, simply, I think, as the result of being highly circumspect as well as lucky.  Certainly, I never acquired sufficient experience or developed the sort of skill - which would be useful on many European roads today - that enabled some local drivers, especially professional ones, to determine the size, depth and nature of potholes at a glance and then negotiate them accordingly.  In this regard, there were - and no doubt still are - two directly conflicting schools of thought.  Namely, you either accelerate on approaching a hole in the expectation of "flying" over it or, at worst, merely clipping its edge, or, alternatively, you slow down, sometimes almost to a standstill, and gently steer in and out of it.  I suppose the decision depends on finding the right combination of self-confidence and rationality.

The theory is good 👍.  I thought I’d read you were highly circumcised at first 😳.  Nearly as bad as being recently snipped.  

4 minutes ago, Don C said:

…  I thought I’d read you were highly circumcised at first 😳.  Nearly as bad as being recently snipped.  

Must admit I’m not well versed on the subject but are there high or low variants? 🤔

• Like 1

Remembering about 30 years ago driving thru parts of the old East Germany ( 2nd ex-wife’s family lived there ) and lots of missing huge cobbles from the age old built cobbled city and town streets …… a bit of a shock if you hit a “ hole “ for sure 

Malc 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links