Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlamp levelling warning light.

I haven’t driven the SC since the middle of Jan due to poor weather and a bad knee but as it was sunny today I took it out for a drive. Everything was fine but then the headlamp warning light came on then after a few miles went off and then back on again. So it went on and off several times during a 20 mile trip. By the time I got home it was on again and I discovered the neither high or low beam bulbs were working. I then turned the ignition off then on again and both were back working again and no warning light on. I  am hoping that it is down to a period of no use and the fact it has been pretty damp and cold lately bearing in mind the car sits out side.  According to the manual the warning light indicates a problem with self levelling system but it doesn’t say any thing about loss of headlights however perhaps it is a failsafe to save blinding other drivers if it’s not working.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Glyn Jennings said:

I haven’t driven the SC since the middle of Jan due to poor weather and a bad knee but as it was sunny today I took it out for a drive. Everything was fine but then the headlamp warning light came on then after a few miles went off and then back on again. So it went on and off several times during a 20 mile trip. By the time I got home it was on again and I discovered the neither high or low beam bulbs were working. I then turned the ignition off then on again and both were back working again and no warning light on. I  am hoping that it is down to a period of no use and the fact it has been pretty damp and cold lately bearing in mind the car sits out side.  According to the manual the warning light indicates a problem with self levelling system but it doesn’t say any thing about loss of headlights however perhaps it is a failsafe to save blinding other drivers if it’s not working.

Any thoughts?

The intermittent nature of the issue makes me think electrical connection and either damp affecting the connection, or a loose connection though less likely methinks. I guess you are going to have to drive the car a bit more and observe what if anything happens and is there any kind of pattern in the behaviour

• Like 1

Not a problem I’ve come across but the self levelling control I’m sure would have no link with the headlamps not working .

As Stephen says could be lack of use and moisture ….and has since dried out .

The self levelling headlamp control is on the near side front and rear suspension, this rod can break with age and give problems .

\

IMG_6649.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glyn Jennings said:

Any thoughts?

Quick question. When it's been standing was it under canvas?

1 hour ago, Boomer54 said:

Quick question. When it's been standing was it under canvas?

Out in the open

1 hour ago, Bob King said:

The self levelling headlamp control is on the near side front and rear suspension, this rod can break with age and give problems .

\

IMG_6649.jpeg

Thanks Bob, I will check it out again when I have time and if it is still the same I will look at the bits you have highlighted.

If it has been sitting idle for about 2 months,could mice have moved into the engine bay and nibbled the wiring? Apparently they often go for the air filter.

• Like 1

I have had another thought in that I have only driven the car a couple of times at night requiring the headlights to be on.  So if the self leveling function only works if the headlight switch is in the on position then it has not moved hardly at all in the two and half years of my ownership.  Bearing in mind the low mileage of the car when I bought it I suspect this would have been the same for the previous owner.  If this is the case then it would be prudent for owners like me who only drive their car in nice dry weather mainly in the day to put the headlights on on a regular basis to make sure nothing seizes up.

• Like 1

Possibly sounds like the headlight relay playing up - common for intermittent issues if the vehicle hasn't been used for a while as the contacts may oxidise and the mechanical switch can start to seize.

Not sure if the auto levelling only works when the lights are on with the SC430 but I would assume it does it all the time so they are correctly levelled if you suddenly turn on the lights. Certainly on more modern vehicles the headlights will initialise when you first power on the vehicle and do a little dance as the movement is tested/calibrated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went for another drive today and the warning light was on for a few miles then went off. Then on and off intermittently every few miles. I think it is probably something sticking or poor connection as if light on if I drive over a speed bump it goes out. I also think as Colin has suggested the levelling works all the time regardless of the lights being on or off.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links