Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LC500 Exhaust Flaps

Many years ago, when I had a Vantage, the first thing I did upon picking it up was to sort the exhaust flaps out, so they stayed open all the time. In the Aston, this was really easy, as all you had to do was locate and pull out 'Fuse 22'! It sounded much better and the fuse never went back in.

I did a bit of internet digging on how to do this on the LC and while it wasn't quite so simple, it was still pretty straight-forward. It has made a reasonable difference and i'm now much more pleased with the sound when i'm just pootling about, which lets face it, on our roads is most of the time.

I'm curious, is this something that most owners have done? on the Aston, I would say 99% of owners pulled fuse 22.

What's the next step up if I wanted more theatre / noise from the LC? The only option I could see was for a complete 5K+ new exhaust system to go on, and i'm not sure I can justify that, or indeed just how much difference it will make.

3 hours ago, Dingle Dell said:

Many years ago, when I had a Vantage, the first thing I did upon picking it up was to sort the exhaust flaps out, so they stayed open all the time. In the Aston, this was really easy, as all you had to do was locate and pull out 'Fuse 22'! It sounded much better and the fuse never went back in.

I did a bit of internet digging on how to do this on the LC and while it wasn't quite so simple, it was still pretty straight-forward. It has made a reasonable difference and i'm now much more pleased with the sound when i'm just pootling about, which lets face it, on our roads is most of the time.

I'm curious, is this something that most owners have done? on the Aston, I would say 99% of owners pulled fuse 22.

What's the next step up if I wanted more theatre / noise from the LC? The only option I could see was for a complete 5K+ new exhaust system to go on, and i'm not sure I can justify that, or indeed just how much difference it will make.

Quite easy to open the exhaust valves. You can do a bodge (

or buy some electronics - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1067743897/lexus-lc-500-exhaust-valve-controller?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_uk_en_gb_a-electronics_and_accessories-car_parts_and_accessories-car_accessories&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAjwzN-vBhAkEiwAYiO7oH8Zb3-VrDl87O3mMlRRR2nnB8tbiC8kY_2FQSu8COd8RYL-6LJEvRoCcSwQAvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_12603394034_126677795184_508814344970_aud-2079782229334:pla-354955384985_c__1067743897engb_102858184&utm_custom2=12603394034&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwzN-vBhAkEiwAYiO7oH8Zb3-VrDl87O3mMlRRR2nnB8tbiC8kY_2FQSu8COd8RYL-6LJEvRoCcSwQAvD_BwE)

Fitting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIeXiScHqpk

12 minutes ago, BrettMRC said:

If it's a GPF car the benefit is much smaller, so bear that in mind.  🙂

Yeah, I've fitted the Etsy controller and can't tell the difference. I need to mess around unplugging the valves and see if that does improve it a bit.

Sticking a custom made mid pipe on to delete the secondary cat is still legal I think - the GPF is upstream of that somewhere I think - cheaper than a full catback and maybe a bit more subtle than an Armytrix or similar. There are loads of youtube videos on different exhausts but all the american/non-EU stuff is still without the GPF which really doesn't do the engine justice.

7 minutes ago, eightk said:

Sticking a custom made mid pipe on to delete the secondary cat is still legal I think - the GPF is upstream of that somewhere I think

I don't believe there is a secondary cat on GPF equipped vehicles, certainly that's the case for the RC F - it is located in the same place, at the front of the exhaust. In the middle of the exhaust, they are just silencers.

As for removing a cat - it's somewhat a grey area in it's legality because you may not change the vehicles certified emissions (which is difficult to tell and certainly an MOT doesn't test this) however this is government advise:

The law

Under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

Legal implications

A person using (or causing or permitting to be used) a vehicle on the public road, which does not comply with the emissions standards it was designed to meet, is committing an offence.

All vehicle owners should be aware of the need to inform their insurers of modifications made to the vehicle, whatever form these might take, as changes to the vehicle potentially alter the risk being insured.

It is not always obvious to vehicle owners that some modifications will make the vehicle illegal to use on the road, irrespective of whether the insurer is prepared to provide cover. For example, removing a catalytic converter or diesel particulate filter will almost certainly result in a vehicle’s emissions exceeding type approval limits and make the vehicle illegal to drive on the road. Engine re-mapping may also result in non-compliant emissions.

It is the driver who is responsible for ensuring compliance.

35 minutes ago, eightk said:

Yeah, I've fitted the Etsy controller and can't tell the difference. I need to mess around unplugging the valves and see if that does improve it a bit.

Sticking a custom made mid pipe on to delete the secondary cat is still legal I think - the GPF is upstream of that somewhere I think - cheaper than a full catback and maybe a bit more subtle than an Armytrix or similar. There are loads of youtube videos on different exhausts but all the american/non-EU stuff is still without the GPF which really doesn't do the engine justice.

I had a play around with the valves on the controller, the difference when they are open is a slightly deeper tone - that's it.

The GPF is a bugger!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 7:18 PM, Dingle Dell said:

How did you open the valve? Disconnect in the trunk or under the car? 

25 minutes ago, 96spec said:

I am selling my valve controller if anyone is interested please PM me

Ben

Hi, I have PM you

On 4/6/2024 at 10:39 AM, Babakhan said:

How did you open the valve? Disconnect in the trunk or under the car? 

I just disconnected under the car. It was really simple - just made sure I protected the open ends of the connectors (bagged and taped) and secured up out of the way with cable ties so that they didn't hang down.

I have some wooden blocks I used to use with a race car, so I just reversed onto them, and that gave me the three or four inches clearance I needed to be able to squeeze under the rear of the car, and saved having to jack the car up.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links