Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thoughts on possible 12v Battery issues with LBX

I am in the process of selling my 2022 Toyota Yaris Hybrid Excel model (bought Nov 2022) as I have had so many issues with the car not starting. Roadside assist call outs and now purchased own jump start back up Battery. I know this is a hot topic and a big issue for many Toyota Yaris/Cross owners, but looking at upgrading to Lexus LBX.

I am concerned I will have the same issues buying the LBX? After all the running gear is shared with Yaris/Yaris Cross in terms of tech. Sorry No technical guru and welcome to correct. My biggest concern is the top of the range model Im looking at has a load more features on it than the Yaris which could be more draining to the 12v Battery and flatten it quicker? Not all of us drive long distances and on motorways to charge the 12v Battery as Toyota suggests or now have to install trickle charges or connect small solar panels to keep the Battery fully charged and functional.

Is this just another case of "frying pan into the fire" and rather stay away from the hybrid tech offered by Toyota and Lexus, or do you think as the Luxury division of Toyota, they would handle it different?

Appreciate any thoughts

Welcome to the forum.

I don’t see why the LBX would be any different to the Yaris. Possibly worse as there may be more features draining the Battery e.g keyless entry. 

All cars will suffer from Battery drain if not used for long periods. How often do you drive and how far? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul. It's what I thought too as my current Yaris has keyless entry as well which the Lexus has too and with added features like remote front windscreen heating, two stage steering wheel heating etc. So more things to drain the 12v quicker. Its that bad that I don't even use my interior lights anymore or steering wheel function or seat heating in winter in my Yaris, all to preserve charge.

I use the car at least 3x a week, but its for shorter runs to the office and school but no long motorway driving which I believe all Toyota/Lexus hybrids need to charge the 12v Battery properly. Was told by my local Toyota mechanic even leaving the car in "ready" mode charges but very slowly, so even an hour doing this is not sufficient. 

I sadly think I have my answer.... would have LOVED to buy the LBX but it won't suite my driving lifestyle. 

Think is something the LBX community should be aware of too if you don't drive that much.

• Sad 1

When I had my Prius my commute was only a total of 6 urban miles a day and I never had any issues with the 12v Battery. I too had keyless entry and I just used the car as I wanted to without any thought about things draining the Battery

I sold the car a couple of weeks ago and it still had the original Battery from new at seven years old  

The only time I would take precautions was going on holiday and then would connect my smart charger and have it come on twice a week for 8 hours at a time which worked perfectly for me. 

it seems odd that some people have issues and others do not 🤔

• Thanks 1

Have you had the Yaris checked over by Toyota? This does sound abnormal if you are only leaving the car for a few days between usage. 

Things to remember. Assuming the Yaris is like a Toyota/Lexus hybrid

Don’t use the heated seats/steering wheel when the car is not in ready mode

Don’t use Neutral

Don’t use the radio when not in ready mode

Don’t pre heat the car when not in ready mode

In fact don’t use anything electrical when not in ready mode. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

… In fact don’t use anything electrical when not in ready mode. 

I think that is the best bit of advice to anyone, especially if they are new to Hybrids although the OP is already in the ‘family’ 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice and info Stephen and Paul. Appreciated. Stephen you are so lucky with your Prius, only wish it was a the same my side.

I have had the car checked out with Toyota and they say nothing is wrong with the Battery, just needs to be driven on longer drives to charge it properly. I am even scared to use heated seats, steering wheel and interior lights at any stage, not even when the car is in "ready mode"

Still think the LBX is an awesome car, but I am sadly not able to put my car on a trickle charger or solar charger.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EEH said:

I have had the car checked out with Toyota and they say nothing is wrong with the battery, just needs to be driven on longer drives to charge it properly. I am even scared to use heated seats, steering wheel and interior lights at any stage, not even when the car is in "ready mode"

You shouldn't use heated seats or steering wheel or any in fact even the radio when it isn't in Ready mode. Once it is in Ready Mode then it makes no difference what you switch on as the power is coming from the hybrid system, not the 12v Battery.

4 hours ago, EEH said:

Was told by my local Toyota mechanic even leaving the car in "ready" mode charges but very slowly, so even an hour doing this is not sufficient. 

It charges at around 5 to 8 amps. It makes no difference if the vehicle is just sat in Ready mode or being driven. 

15 hours ago, EEH said:

My biggest concern is the top of the range model Im looking at has a load more features on it than the Yaris which could be more draining to the 12v Battery and flatten it quicker?

This isn't an issue. The vehicle is able to generate 100+ amps @ 12v from the hybrid system. With less that 10 amps going to charging the 12v Battery, you have more than enough to use all the features of the vehicle.

If you are using your vehicle daily then it doesn't really matter on the journey length, you just need around 1 to 2 hours of the vehicle being in Ready mode per week. As you potentially use it less than that then you may experience the same issues and your Yaris. Make sure your key isn't left near the vehicle (e.g. by the front door with the vehicle on the driveway) as if the two can communicate with each other it can cause the Battery to discharge faster. You could also consider disabling smart entry completely from the vehicle's menu which would help and also prevent the possibility of a relay attack theft.

• Like 1

appreciate the input Colin thx! Good suggestion re key and comms issue and theft. Let's hope it's not too difficult to do so. 

There’s a big difference between the Yaris and the LBX.  To comply with EC manufacturing legislation, the Battery for the Yaris is sourced in Europe from Mutlu in Turkey and they are known to have a performance issue.  The Battery in the LBX is sourced in Japan, probably from Yuasa but they do use ND and Panasonic.   These are top notch batteries and don’t suffer the same as Mutlu.  If you charge a Mutlu overnight it will test ok even when it isn’t.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Don C said:

There’s a big difference between the Yaris and the LBX.  To comply with EC manufacturing legislation, the battery for the Yaris is sourced in Europe from Mutlu in Turkey and they are known to have a performance issue.  The battery in the LBX is sourced in Japan, probably from Yuasa but they do use ND and Panasonic.   These are top notch batteries and don’t suffer the same as Mutlu.  If you charge a Mutlu overnight it will test ok even when it isn’t.  

Türkiye isn't part of the European Union ?

46 minutes ago, cur666 said:

My twopennysworth - - Turkey is a nice place to go for a holiday but you would not want to live in such a place. They also buy Russian oil cheap and manufacture/export cheap dodgy products sometimes, also have a chequered history of dubious alliances.  But, hey, who am I to judge? The people I have met there have been lovely friendly folk.

Quote US news:  E.U. diplomats believe Turkey is highly unlikely to join the E.U. anytime soon, if ever, saying the country’s standards on the rule of law and respect for human rights have worsened in recent years.

Turkey’s hostile relations with its neighbors Greece and Cyprus, both E.U. members, are another major problem. While both countries are NATO members, Turkish officials, including Mr. Erdogan himself, frequently question their common borders and say Turkey is entitled to more territory, to Greece’s outrage.

Interesting question to ponder - when Turkey invaded Cyprus and took half of it why did NATO and the EU not intervene at the time?  Clue - think Greek political chaos, maybe.  Google "Greek coup d'état and Turkish invasion"

Turkey will not accept a one-state solution for Cyprus and a “little flare-up” on the divided island could spark a conflict similar to those in Gaza and Ukraine, the leader of the breakaway north has warned ahead of a meeting with the head of the UN.

A mistake or misunderstanding such as the shooting of a Turkish soldier on the Green Line that divides the two sides would provoke “a bomb” between the two populations, who have been at loggerheads for decades, said Ersin Tatar.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cur666 said:

They have a strange customs union with the EU, so in theory their products could count as “EU” depending on how the other regulations are written.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union–Turkey_Customs_Union

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Either way, it’s not as if Lexus owners don’t suffer battery issues if the car isn’t used much. We have hundreds of examples on these forums. 

Battery problems are usually associated with low use and moreover following covid.  We see this in our own little world but it applies to all brands.   There was a definite problem with the Mutlu batteries but that may have been addressed in production.   Time will tell.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links