Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Android Head Unit Compatibility problem

Hi. I've got a 2009 59 plate is250c special edition. I have never got the sat nav updated because it is of the type that requires a dealer to do the update. It's still on 2009 maps. I've been quoted £300 plus just to get the maps up to date. I'm not doing that! So for that money I can get a nice android head unit as modern and up to date as my phone. Unfortunately the button position on my existing head unit seem to be in a very rare position and all the headunits I have looked at online have a red X next to that configuration. Most don't even show that configuration. There really are a lot of different configurations and button names! I wonder if anyone has found a unit that matches this configuration or can help with my search. Thanks

20230427_120538 (3).png

You are best to ask the sellers, they usually insist to see how your unit looks, some even ask you to remove the unit to take pictures of the back connectors to make sure you get the compatible unit. For example I knew exactly what unit I need, but seller basically refused to sell me the unit without taking picture of connector. I have cheated a little bit, found matching unit picture online and sent that.

Basically, sellers on aliexpress and similar places, even eBay have incentive to make sure you get the right unit, because if it doesn't work it is expense on them to take it back. So it is not like you can go and order wrong unit and the simply going to ship it to you.

As far as units are concerned there are many variations, at least 8, maybe more - it is combination of screen or no screen, ML or non-ML, later HDD versions of several sizes, but in principle they can be put in 3 main categories - with Optical audio-out for ML, with additional connectors for screen/camera, or one without neither. I have noticed that some trims had slightly different button design, IS250C seems to have little bit more chrome, I think Advance trim has like black surround, but all that doesn't matter, it is still same unit underneath. I don't even think it matters if it is HDD or DVD version, the location of connectors may be slightly different, but it will be same connectors based on those 3 broad categories.

So simply ask seller if they have unit that fits your car, answer their questions, send pictures and they will tell you which one you need to order.

I've got pretty much the same unit as yours Dave.

The sellers all say that I need a canbus adaptor to make the Android units to work in my car, guessing it will be the same for you.

I haven't yet taken the step to Android, but hopefully in the near future 🤞

I've got some experience in the android head unit area for these IS250's the key thing is to understand whether your car is a pre facelift or facelift model, easiest tell is if you have a white type of infotainment or the all black. Usually if your car is a facelift 2009 you'll have the new style white infotainment but thats not always the case as one of my vehicles is a 2009 facelift car with an old black style infotainment. 

The best ones to get on the market are the Teyes CC3 as they provide full functionality of your original OEM radio and preserve the original sound quality of your Mark Levinson or standard sound system. I have used other head units such as XTRONS and the GROM V Line but the Teyes is the best in terms of quality and reliability. You would purchase a specific model depending on your type of infotainment or the seller would provide you harnesses to support both pre facelift and facelift, however your mileage may vary. 

I fitted a Teyes CC3 to a IS250C aso if you need any support feel free to reach out otherwise Ahmed on the LOC forums has recently fitted one of these and he's the go to for Lexus mods in this community. 

Thanks McShmoopy

It seems my late 2009 Lexus IS250c unfortunately has a Type A unit. White screen display. Also unfortunately I didn't buy from Teyes! I bought from Ali Express and the seller has been very unhelpful. They confirmed that their head unit would fit and work on my model. I only sent the front photo. Since then they have been painfully unhelpful and reticent to reply. After looking a the Teyes fitting instructions I have gone ahead with fitting it and it is very similar to the Teyes screen. it is a 10" screen.

I have been following their very helpful harness fitting instructions and have got most of the connecting done. I have fixed the screen and amp to the frame but unfortunately the final connectors in my kit are the wrong shape and size so I can't connect the android screen to the amp. Unlike the Teyes photos, my version doesn't have a seperate Sat Nav. It is post HDD and needed a dealer map update at 300 quid plus. The Satnav must be included in the amp, I guess. I have connected it up as described by Teyes anyway. 

I hope the correct connectors will bring my screen and android unit to life. So far sound and radio from the DVD box but no screen activity of functions. Do you know where I can purchase the correct loom or adapters for this unit. 

Also i've read that as it's a IS250c  the amp won't fit in the head unit space and needs to be fitted elsewhere. Is that correct?

Thanks

Dave Borrie

20240426_160553.jpg

20240426_160706.jpg

20240426_160606.jpg

4 hours ago, Dave Borrie said:

Anyone able to help me here? I'm wondering if I should give up and refit the original head unit!

Hi Dave drop me a PM I can go into some more detail with you and provide a fairly complex solution.

On 4/27/2024 at 11:16 AM, Dave Borrie said:

Thanks McShmoopy

It seems my late 2009 Lexus IS250c unfortunately has a Type A unit. White screen display. Also unfortunately I didn't buy from Teyes! I bought from Ali Express and the seller has been very unhelpful. They confirmed that their head unit would fit and work on my model. I only sent the front photo. Since then they have been painfully unhelpful and reticent to reply. After looking a the Teyes fitting instructions I have gone ahead with fitting it and it is very similar to the Teyes screen. it is a 10" screen.

I have been following their very helpful harness fitting instructions and have got most of the connecting done. I have fixed the screen and amp to the frame but unfortunately the final connectors in my kit are the wrong shape and size so I can't connect the android screen to the amp. Unlike the Teyes photos, my version doesn't have a seperate Sat Nav. It is post HDD and needed a dealer map update at 300 quid plus. The Satnav must be included in the amp, I guess. I have connected it up as described by Teyes anyway. 

I hope the correct connectors will bring my screen and android unit to life. So far sound and radio from the DVD box but no screen activity of functions. Do you know where I can purchase the correct loom or adapters for this unit. 

Also i've read that as it's a IS250c  the amp won't fit in the head unit space and needs to be fitted elsewhere. Is that correct?

Thanks

Dave Borrie

20240426_160553.jpg

20240426_160706.jpg

20240426_160606.jpg

Unfortunately they will have sent you a type B so it wont work, even in my normal IS the space is tight so you’ll likely have to  trim some the redundant back plastic that is used non navi models. Im planning on doing the same and running a new camera as I’ve upgraded my xtrons to a teyes and transplanted my xtrons to a slightly older IS.

The only consideration with the IS250C for you is running the camera cable as it is a nightmare compared to regular IS’s although fellow member Ahmed had some recent success.

Photos of my recent teyes install, still in progress and will need to trim the back. 

IMG_5386.jpeg

IMG_5388.jpeg

IMG_5387.jpeg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links