Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

TPWS Malfunction

Following the fitment of two new front tyres on Monday, within an hour of collecting the car my wife had a 'TPWS Malfunction. Contact Your Dealer' warning flash up on screen. It's now not allowing the pressures to be shown so initially wasn't sure if a tyre was losing pressure, but all looks good.

Is it possible that a sensor has been knocked or damaged during the tyres being swapped over that has made the system throw a wobbly? I have the car booked back in on Friday for the tyre place to have a look. I rang Lexus and they want £115 to put the car through a diagnosis.

I was just wondering if it's possible to attempt a reset that may cancel out any fault?

20240423_190213.jpg

You can initialise the TPMS in the setting menu via the steering wheel control on the left.

2 hours ago, fourbanks said:

Lexus won't charge if they have fitted the new tyres

It wasn't Lexus that fitted the tyres

1 hour ago, Don C said:

You can initialise the TPMS in the setting menu via the steering wheel control on the left.

I'll try that tonight thanks Don

26 minutes ago, ScoFair said:

It wasn't Lexus that fitted the tyres

If lexus Didn,t Supply and Fit the Tyres Your Not On A Winner Scott..  Why didnt you ask lexus to Match the price from your Tyre dealer  They usually Try there level Best..My opinion only..!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

If lexus Didn,t Supply and Fit the Tyres Your Not On A Winner Scott..  Why didnt you ask lexus to Match the price from your Tyre dealer  They usually Try there level Best..My opinion only..!!

Because i purchased the tyres 'as new' from a very nice gent on here.

My local Lexus dealership isn't exactly on the doorstep, so use a tyre place 20 yards from where i work

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RONNIE W HODGEKINSON said:

My opinion too,  Ronnie.  When I was buying a new set, I asked Lexus MK if they could supply them as I was due an annual service there anyway.

To my surprise, they matched my regular tyre supplier.  I didn’t go with it as I was also having Alloygator rim protectors fitted.  It may not be the first place anyone thinks of, but you’re quite right that it’s always worth asking them to quote.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Don C said:

Well i tried the TPMS reset via the settings and no joy unfortunately.

God only knows what the tyre place have done?!?! Anyway it's booked back in tomorrow for them to have a look at it. Fingers crossed🤞🏻

2 hours ago, ScoFair said:

God only knows what the tyre place have done?!?! Anyway it's booked back in tomorrow for them to have a look at it. Fingers crossed🤞🏻

If you can’t do it, meet me back at the same place and I’ll do it with my scanner.  They sometimes take a good drive to settle down.  

When I had my new boots fitted it took almost 6 miles before the dash showed the tyre pressure. I know this because the numbers lit-up as I arrived home, 6 miles from Lexus Leicester. 

I think the short burn on the A6 helped!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ScoFair said:

This is always a Grey Area Scott.. When not going to the Dealership.. I Have heard on occasions that Tyres being fitted at Private Garages have problems because the fitter Shall we say Does not handle the small units with the Experienced care of the Lexus Dealerships. I,m not saying this is what has happened but.. it Could be.. And These little units are expensive.. Certainly hope that is not the case and resolved Soon... Best Regards..!!

• Like 1

I’m always suspicious when “somebody’s been there” but I think a damaged valve would be obvious and I know from experience the system can get scrambled if tyres have been changed.  It’s not a big deal to reset it if you’ve got the gear.

Totally Agree With You Don.. These little Tyre Sensor Units can be so Fragile and Expensive I Prefer to let the Lexus Technicians Handle them Even if its going to cost A Bit More !!!! Don.. Have you had a look at the Rewire Security DB2 Tracker A few friends have bought them and its quite simply the best little gadget i have bought In YONKS..!!! Absolutely Thrilled with it.!!!!

I’m not convinced a Lexus tyre fitter is any better than a decent tyre centre fitter (National Tyres didn’t harm my pressure centre, they completely scrapped a brand new wheel so I’m not friends with them!).   However, they probably carry spares if they do ruin one and are well positioned to reprogram them.

38 minutes ago, Don C said:

I’m not convinced a Lexus tyre fitter is any better than a decent tyre centre fitter

I’d go further.  I suggest that Lexus Dealerships don’t have tyre fitters.  They have mechanics who occasionally fit tyres.

Although I have been surprised to find that my local Lexus dealer has matched my regular tyre supplier in price, I would probably only use them if I was combining it with a Service at the same visit.

On the whole I think someone competent fitting tyres all day for a living will generally make a better job of it.  I apply the same reasoning to using an auto electrician to install accessories.

• Like 1

Well the follow up to my TPMS malfunction issue :

Dropped the car off with the tyre place on Friday morning and had a phone call a couple of hours later to say that they had plugged in a laptop and diagnosed that the sensor that had failed was on of the rear ones and not the front where they had changed the tyres. They gave me a print off to try and convince me, but I'm not exactly sure i believe them as they could have swapped the damaged one from the front to the rear. As a gesture of goodwill though, they said that if i get a new sensor from Lexus then the will fit it free of charge. Lexus were quoting £89 for one and even though you can buy cheaper versions, they may then be trickier to program and link to the car correctly.

6 hours ago, ScoFair said:

Well the follow up to my TPMS malfunction issue :

Dropped the car off with the tyre place on Friday morning and had a phone call a couple of hours later to say that they had plugged in a laptop and diagnosed that the sensor that had failed was on of the rear ones and not the front where they had changed the tyres. They gave me a print off to try and convince me, but I'm not exactly sure i believe them as they could have swapped the damaged one from the front to the rear. As a gesture of goodwill though, they said that if i get a new sensor from Lexus then the will fit it free of charge. Lexus were quoting £89 for one and even though you can buy cheaper versions, they may then be trickier to program and link to the car correctly.

It’s an amazing coincidence isn’t it 🤔

• Like 1

Would Lexus diagnose this for you FOC? Say for an estimate? Or do they charge just to look.

If you buy the sensor the Tyre place could fit it on any wheel, how would you know?

6 hours ago, Lmafudd said:

Would Lexus diagnose this for you FOC? Say for an estimate? Or do they charge just to look.

If you buy the sensor the Tyre place could fit it on any wheel, how would you know?

£115 just to look

6 hours ago, ScoFair said:

£115 just to look

Going back to this wheel.  I’m in and out of Piccadilly every day this week.  I can tell you if it’s a front or a back before anybody removes the evidence.  Up to you.  

4 hours ago, Don C said:

Going back to this wheel.  I’m in and out of Piccadilly every day this week.  I can tell you if it’s a front or a back before anybody removes the evidence.  Up to you.  

This week an issue Don as my wife managed to snap her ankle yesterday playing football with our grandson. I'll message you next week if that's OK and check how you're fixed

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, ScoFair said:

This week an issue Don as my wife managed to snap her ankle yesterday playing football with our grandson. I'll message you next week if that's OK and check how you're fixed

Oh dear.  I hope she’s ok.  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links