Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

CAN Immobiliser

If CAN network immobiliser are fitted on any Lexus, Question 1.:-  Does anyone know if Lexus condone it seem they don't seem to be in a rush to sort the theft problem quickly and Question 2:- Can the immobiliser void the Relax warranty ?. 

Hi Ian and welcome to the LOC.

Regarding Q1 my personal view is yes they seem to be dragging their feet/ burying their heads in the sand regarding this CanBus theft issue.

They have designed and fitted a “protective” plate to some models but chose not to contact owners directly instead leaving it to individuals to find out for themselves. Even then some dealers claimed to know nothing about it, some did and some attempted to make a charge for supply and fitting.

Following on from the BBC Watchdog programme it must have been a mere coincidence that Lexus/Toyota released a statement the same day suggesting “Hardware” solutions were forthcoming. This was now several months ago and I have seen no further updates.

Q2 the answer would suggest that Lexus are actually encouraging the retrofit of 3rd party alarm/immobiliser/tracker systems along with a physical steering lock from which one has to assume your manufacturer’s warranty would not be voided by such actions being taken.

1 hour ago, Little Ian said:

Question 2:- Can the immobiliser void the Relax warranty ?. 

Only if it interferes with the normal operation of the vehicle or the installation is of poor quality - for both scenarios your recourse would be with the installer and not Lexus.

Thanks for the early replies and welcome, Ive still got my full steering covered disk locks which I last used on my classic car, as for my Ux and LBX  I have fitted trackers  but I think I will go down the EOBD plug relocation and fit a dummy plug in the EOBD plug position which will be cheaper than £1000 for 2 CAN immobiliser systems plus Lexus can't knock back any warranty issue as Ive not interfered with the cars system

Ian

The LBX isn't vulnerable to the attacks currently used.

Lexus should have a solution for the UX, we just don't know when yet (they have already missed their initial end April deadline) or how much an owner may need to contribute.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links