Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Sel Purchase

Like many of the members posting here, we have been going through the decision making process weighing up Lexus, BMW X5, Merc ML, new Discovery etc. Took the plunge yesterday and ordered a new RX300 SEL! Seemed to have the best combination of space, quality, driving enjoyment and off road ability (like most people - we don't need much!).

My question is regards price. We ordered a 2005 model (uprated Sat Nav, Bluetooth) in metallic with ICE. About £39.5k all in (no trade-in) - which I thought was a good discount off list, but then wondered whether the 'discount' is really swallowed up by the (inflated) price of the DVD kit - £2600!

On a connected point, I'm sure one dealer said the ICE was 'factory fitted' and if we had one fitted ourselves it would invalidate the warranty. Other posts have indicated that the ICE is installed in the UK.

Was the ICE option a good choice or have I been deceived?!

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

I've had my SEL for five weeks or so now and paid a little less than you. I think list was £40,800 with ICE and I paid just under £39k. That said its an 04 model so not sure if the price has gone up since.

You have probably read my posts about the ICE. I don't think its worth the money and unless its changed in the past 5 weeks the install takes place in the UK and not at the factory. That said its nice to have and my kids love it. The kit is branded Lexus and the handbook is all Lexus too, so its keeps things consistent and will probably reasure any subsequent buyer. Also the warranty is assured.

The main drawbacks with the system are;

Accessability/use-You put a disc in before you set off on a trip and press play...fine, but start the engine and the whole thing switches off and unless the kids are older than mine (5 & 8) you will be jumping out again to get it going for them. By now they will be sat in the car and you are on your hands and knees fumbling under the seat.

The headsets do not auto shut off so unless you remember to switch them off after the journey the batteries go flat. (happened twice on mine)

PRICE!!

I am sure that certain after market kits will be better but I prefer to be able to pass any problems on to the vehicle manufacturer.

Picture is good and the sound is great (now). Also the player has a kick cover fitted with Lexus printed across the front, nice touch.

You are really going to love the RX Andy, its a seriously nice car in every respect. Best choice I ever made (in car terms anyway!!!)

I have had my mk2 RX for just over the year.(ordered before the launch) it replaced the previous RX, which I really enjoyed.Your choice of vehicular conveyance is beyond reproach. My wife and I have been to Spain twice in ours, once with her parents (now in their 70's), without any probs. We do not have the I.C.E. but have a removeable system fot the grandchildren which is quite acceptable.The I.C.E. must be your individual choice but the motor is a very wise selection.

Thanks for your views. I believe that the 05 model adds about £800 to the 04 list of £40800, so I guess the discount I got was fair. Anyway, what's the saying about knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing? The reassuring comments make believe we made the right decision and we're really looking forward to the delivery of a great car!

Andy

Get my RX300SE-L in the next day or two. as regards the "ice" package as I don't have young children I didn't want it, and not having used Bluetooth I can't comment except that Hands free phone kits would cover most uses I suspect.

Like any extra's if you have a use for them then get them but if not save your money.

Realspeed

Oh forgot to mention that this is a trade in for my MK1 3 yr old RX 300 SE and having looked at other 4x4's and the back up they give etc for the price I don't think any come close. Did consider BMW x5 and landcruiser both versions but didn't think I really wanted a car that big. Never had any cause for complaint with Lexus infact it seems as if i am their only customer by the way they look after me.

I agree about the extras - we do have young kids, and having tried a portable DVD on a journey to to the South of France this year we know it keeps them quiet!

The other bits - Sat Nav upgrade, Bluetooth etc. - are just part of the new 05 spec (and a reason to put prices up!). They may or may not prove useful additions - the traffic avoidance feature sounds potentially useful, but seeing as traffic is so awful in this country you can imagine turning a 150 mile journey into a 300 mile trek by zig zagging around the jams! The other interesting one is voice activation - apparently there are 200 (?) commands you can give it, including changing the route, adjusting the hi-fi etc. Might be nice to shout back at the lady in the dashboard, but also have visions of the kids overriding everything from the back seats while we veer into a ditch with the stereo at full blast!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links