Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Importing A Japanese Car

RS200TEZ

I have a new import coming over from Japan and is due to land in late January.

I have imported cars a few years ago, but am worried if anything has changed.

The car is over 10 years so I don't need to worry about SVA etc..... Is there anything I have missed?

Thanks

I have a new import coming over from Japan and is due to land in late January.

I have imported cars a few years ago, but am worried if anything has changed.

The car is over 10 years so I don't need to worry about SVA etc..... Is there anything I have missed?

Thanks

over 10 years :yawn: .......what is it then :D

An MR2 T-Bar GT .. nothing special just really low mileage - 32,000 miles on a 1990 - so the Tez won't be too jelous - I dont remember seeing this info when I brought my other Mr2 in.

I am slightly worried about these notes on the DVLA though as I cannot prove I have been in Japan.

. Type Approval

Non-type approved vehicles less than 10 years old that are personally imported are required to pass a Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) test. To qualify as a Personal Import [PI], the following conditions have to be met.

· If the vehicle has been imported by a person entering the United Kingdom;

· That the person had, at the time the vehicle was imported, been normally resident in a country other than the United Kingdom for a continuous period of at least 12 months;

· That person intends to become normally resident in the United Kingdom;

· That the vehicle has been in the possession of that person and used by him in the country where he has normally resident for a period of at least 6 months before its importation and

· That the vehicle is intended for his personal or household use in the United Kingdom.

Personally imported vehicles over 3 years old, that meet the above criteria, will be subject to the MOT test.

The Vehicle Operator Services Agency will need to be satisfied that the person importing the vehicle complies with the above criteria.

NB. P.I. status does not apply to HGVs over 3,500kgs.

The rules changed some time ago now. You won't be able to escape the SVA i'm afraid.

Did they close the disabled loop hole aswell?

I know importers were using that method, having said that I have not been doing imports myself for a few years myself now and my knowledege is out of date

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links