Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pc Assistance Reqd...again!...pls :-)

Lexxy_703

my PC is getting on a bit now - 6/7 years old - which is ancient in techno land! I'm pretty much a novice but can just about manage to find my way round problems that crop up.

just recently, i keep getting this warning message that i'm running out of memory & i can't start any more programs & it eventually dies on me.

no laffin at my spec pls! :P i've got - Win98SE, intel celeron, mcafee virus & firewall combined, 64MB RAM, & this is where i get a bit lost, 1.99GB drive C & 3.99GB on drive D. 231MB free on C & 3.56GB free on D.

so how come i'm nearly out of memory? is D only virtual?? i've got windows running my virtual memory settings. i've deleted as much rubbish as i could find from old downloads etc & changed my settings so i'm only running what i think i need (de-selecting screen savers & 'stuff'), i've 'clicked off' as much as i can for my selected start up & i scan disk & de-frag every 6-8 weeks.

i was even considering buying an extra 128RAM - but i'm just wanting to make sure there isn't anything else i can do to help before i get my screwdriver on my tower! :mat:

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated from you knowledgeable lot... :D

You are getting confused with disc space ansd memory. The C: and D: are your disc space, although small drive(s) there is still space there. The memory is a long thin chip thing that goes on the mother board and you need to memory to store the programs and processes that run. This is where you are suffering.

If you go into control panel /system it should tell you how much memory you have, alternatively you can see it some machines when you start it up it displays it on the screen at the very start. Find out what size meory you have and let us know.

If you are struggling with a machine of that age, and you can afford about £400 to £500, it would be best to get a new machine ..... but you can still get new memory although it's changed a bit .... so you might have to hunt round. You will also need to look inside the machine and see how many slots you have for memory and how many are used / spare.

oh! flippin heck - gone & posted in completely the wrong section - could someone 'high up' move it for me pls??? :)

moved it for you fella....... ;)

Fella ? lol - ...... Lexxy is a wonderful looking female zee ! :lol:

Lexxy : Didn't you ask santa for a new pc ? :D

oh! flippin heck - gone & posted in completely the wrong section - could someone 'high up' move it for me pls??? :)

Oooooops........ sorry........ :blush:

:lol::lol:

If you go into control panel /system it should tell you how much memory you have, alternatively you can see it some machines when you start it up it displays it on the screen at the very start. Find out what size meory you have and let us know.

erm...(girlish type titter & flutter of eyelashes) if i go into my comp/properties/performance - it says 60% system resources free. i thought RAM was my memory? doh... :duh:

i've gone to one of these sites that does an actual check on your pc & it's told me what type of thing is compatible, 168pin dimm sdram pc100 128mb, intel rc440bx motherboard (might as well be greek to me :blush: ). does this help at all???

thanks for moving it - no offence taken. if we'd met & you still thought i was a bloke...well, that would be different! :P

just a thought - isn't that SCARFACE chap a well rounded human being, so caring about his fellow peeps, always ready to help a member in distress, 100% decent fellow 'n' all that...(it was the pic of me in the basque & stockings i sent you wasn't it? :winky: )

thanks for moving it - no offence taken. if we'd met & you still thought i was a bloke...well, that would be different! :P

just a thought - isn't that SCARFACE chap a well rounded human being, so caring about his fellow peeps, always ready to help a member in distress, 100% decent fellow 'n' all that...(it was the pic of me in the basque & stockings i sent you wasn't it? :winky: )

That's me in a nutshell I guess :blush::blush:

erm...(girlish type titter & flutter of eyelashes) if i go into my comp/properties/performance - it says 60% system resources free. i thought RAM was my memory? doh... :duh:

i've gone to one of these sites that does an actual check on your pc & it's told me what type of thing is compatible, 168pin dimm sdram pc100 128mb, intel rc440bx motherboard (might as well be greek to me :blush: ). does this help at all???

:blush: i hate to be the pushy type - but any suggestions on this pls fellas? do i need to buy more memory...? i can't really afford to splash out on a new PC just at the mo' as we're having building work done on the house, & you just know how the bills start to mount up for that sort of thing! :crybaby:

Hi

certainly more memory will help the ole 'puta

but if your trying save money i'd rebuild the system drive with the OS and apps

You could try defraging the hard drive a few times.

Win 98 does tend to slow over a period of time and complete rebuild will freshen things up and you'll only reloaded the apps you really need.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links