Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trouble In Spring - Already!

When I was offered a Lexus LS400 last year I had a look around to find out about them and fell upon this web-site. Reading all you had to say convinced me that I should buy it and so far it's been great. I read that they are very reliable on the whole, but a few guys were talking about breaking springs - and I'm supposing therefore that's what's happened to me this morning.

I don't have all the details as my girlfriend was driving and I was a few cars behind, but apparently the car "just went bang" at about 25 mph so she stopped. There were no pot holes on the road in the vaccinity and I generally avoid big curbs and pot holes anyhow.

The body is now sat about half and inch off the o/s/f wheel.

By the way the car has only done about 100 miles since it had 17" alloys fitted with wider tyres, previously it did about 12,000 miles on small IS200 wheels/tyres. Also it had two new tyres fitted to the front last weekend. Also it's been stood for about three weeks, until last weekend. Not sure that this is any use, but thought I'd mention it.

So assuming that it is a broken spring as I recall some of you were warning of last year, please can you advise me where to purchase a new one. I recall you were all buying from a place in the US. Should I replace both? Do you think it is the spring that's broken? What kind of parts/labour charge can I expect to be facing?

Shame really as it had new wheels/tyres for it's MOT so I was just about to sell it whilst it's got 12 months ticket!! That'll have to wait now!

One more thing - can I drive it as it is? It's at the side of the road where my girlfriend left it and I can't tow it with a dolly as it should have the rear wheels lifted too. Probably would cost me my Granada's gearbox also!

Thanks for your advice,

Stu

When I was offered a Lexus LS400 last year I had a look around to find out about them and fell upon this web-site. Reading all you had to say convinced me that I should buy it and so far it's been great. I read that they are very reliable on the whole, but a few guys were talking about breaking springs - and I'm supposing therefore that's what's happened to me this morning.

I don't have all the details as my girlfriend was driving and I was a few cars behind, but apparently the car "just went bang" at about 25 mph so she stopped. There were no pot holes on the road in the vaccinity and I generally avoid big curbs and pot holes anyhow.

The body is now sat about half and inch off the o/s/f wheel.

By the way the car has only done about 100 miles since it had 17" alloys fitted with wider tyres, previously it did about 12,000 miles on small IS200 wheels/tyres. Also it had two new tyres fitted to the front last weekend. Also it's been stood for about three weeks, until last weekend. Not sure that this is any use, but thought I'd mention it.

So assuming that it is a broken spring as I recall some of you were warning of last year, please can you advise me where to purchase a new one. I recall you were all buying from a place in the US. Should I replace both? Do you think it is the spring that's broken? What kind of parts/labour charge can I expect to be facing?

Shame really as it had new wheels/tyres for it's MOT so I was just about to sell it whilst it's got 12 months ticket!! That'll have to wait now!

One more thing - can I drive it as it is? It's at the side of the road where my girlfriend left it and I can't tow it with a dolly as it should have the rear wheels lifted too. Probably would cost me my Granada's gearbox also!

Thanks for your advice,

Stu

if its sat theat low to the tyre it would be quite dodgy to drive it but if you have no bumps to go over and a short distance then i would risk it i would also jack the car and have a look at the spring to confirm it is that.

As a rule i always replace things in symettry when i do brakes or suspension and i think you may have to buy them as a set although i could be wrong but it would be best practice to do both sides

hope it doesnt work out too expensive

:driving: New news. I have spoken to the local Toyota dealership who want £70+VAT per spring and £350+VAT labour to fit them. The also didn't recomend that I drive it so offered to pick it up and bring it the five or so miles in for another £50-60.

I then phoned Lexus in Bolton and they wouldn't commit to a price until they've seen it however the chap I spoke to did ask a few questions then reckoned that if I check that the spring isn't sticking into the wheel or anything then I could drive it if I take it easy.

So I've had a look tonight and driven it the 2-3 miles home. Indeed the spring has broken (I found another bit of it by the side of the road this evening) but I don't think this was the problem. It looks like the flange on the strut has failed which has caused the spring to suddenly release, thus causing the damage to that.

So do I need a new strut as well as a new spring, or even two new struts and two new springs?

Odd feeling driving it home. I didn't go above 20mph and stopped every half mile or so in the name of my brand spanking tyre. The car felt really awful though.

I e-mailed a couple of US places I've seen mentioned on here and wait for some prices. I need to ask them for struts now too. Surely heavy items aren't much cheaper from the states are they?

Stu

you can get some good deals on suspension stuff from the states just be wary of postage and import taxes which can make it more expensive than buying over here bet the guys who trade on here could sort you out though with some uprated stuff its the way forward :D

Just a thought, maybe this is not the direction you what to go in, but would a second-hand shock and spring from a breaker do the job ,and keep the costs down?

There is a company called FIND-A-PART that maybe able to locate one for you....good luck.

When I bought my '94 LS, both front springs were broken, not in a

catastrophic way, just lowering the front about 30 mm on each side.

I bought oem springs and did the job myself. The strut with spring can be removed complete and worked on in 'comfort' in a vice. make some lead linings for the vice jaws so you don't mark the strut.[old lead flashing will do]

This job on Macpherson strut type suspension I found much easier and less scary

than the same job on wishbone type. Your local recommended independant

garage can do this job if Lex labour costs are staggering.

All you need is a good vice [6inch] and most important the best butch

spring compressorsyou can buy or borrow.Don't try it with mickey mouse ones, these are strong springs!!

If the spring support on the strut has ripped off,obviously the strut will have to be replaced as well.

cheers :winky:

The car's sat on the drive and seems to be getting lower and lower! I didn't think it would do that? I had to move it on Sunday just to get the car out from behind it so I can get to work and it's awful. I reversed onto the road, got the Cavalier out the did a turn in the road and reversed it back up the drive. It feels rough!!

Anyhow, It looks like I could do with the strut to go with the new spring now, and probably therefore both sides.

So the local dealership want £85 + VAT for the coils, £70 + VAT for the shocks and about £350 for labour. Even though it shouldn't have costed more labour was glad to hear them confirm that.

I've had the parts quoted from Sewells also, their they are $78.27 and $62.92 respectively. Postage is $138. Total bill therefore, £221.24. A saving of about £140, but I don't know anything about import tax etc that I have heard you all talking about.

Interestingly the postage didn't increase with the addition of the shocks, therefore I wonder whether I could increase the order more and more. There was once talk of a syndicate of buying on here, now I see why. Did it ever happen? How do I join?

Meanwhile the Cavalier which I paid £100 for a few weeks back from a chap a work as I couldn't resists whay appeared to be a bargain is laughing at the Lexus every night when I get home!!

Thanks,

Stu

Just been onto the Customs and Excise people (0845 010 9000) and found out that the items I am looking to import would be charged at 4.5%, but that's on the total bill including insurance and P&P. Then VAT is charged on the total amount inlcuding the import duty.

Total bill now therefore is £271.65

Why do the government get so much of our money? People who have the courtesy to pay as much in in duty on petrol as LS400 drivers should get a discount somewhere shouldn't they?!?

• 1 month later...

News.....I eventually got bored of trying to decide what to do and went for the US original stuff option. It's therefore getting two new springs and two new shocks. I phoned the chap at Sewells to make the order as I was a bit shakey about the possibility of the parts being the wrong ones. Although he was very nice and explained that he was suppling as suggested by the chassis number, he did mention that he thinks he's sold once before to the UK!! This bothered me more, as I thought I got the impression from this site that you guys use them all the time!!

Anyhow I now have a tracking number and the parts are in Kentucky having travelled the first few humdred miles of their trip. Hopefully they will arrive before too long so I can get the thing back on the road again. Some prat has left the reading light on though whilst looking for CD's one night and now the battery's flat!!

The sale Darrel said he "never had any complaint about" was for ball joints and various other parts. Probably was you then!

Is it correct that UPS will bill me with the delivery for the import charges and VAT, and that I'll have 30 days to pay it?

The sale Darrel said he "never had any complaint about" was for ball joints and various other parts. Probably was you then!

Is it correct that UPS will bill me with the delivery for the import charges and VAT, and that I'll have 30 days to pay it?

When i recived parts from sewells I had to pay cheque on delivery of parts.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links