Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Catalytic Converter

Hi, my is200 is coming to 6 years old now. I was wondering how long the main catalytic converter lasts? I've had my car supercharged in february and took out both precats. Do cats gets progressively blocked after a while? Will getting a new one release a few more BHPs? If so how much are they? :unsure:

in thory the cart should last many many years.......that was the original idea when they were made compulsery.

However,,,,,

it is becoming more and more evident that most cats dont last much longer than 7 years, at full effeciancy.

this obviously depends on the quality of the cat, its material and the way a car is driven.

ive seen cats fail on relativly new cars....My Lexus as an example..20,000 miles!!!, both precats failed after 6000 miles!!!

the cats themselfs do not become blocked, what happenes is the leading edge of the cat material starts to scorch, breakdown, and start to fold over, as the material folds over, this creates a resistance, and more heat is generated...thereby compounding and accelerating the scorching and breakdown and eventual fail of the cat

I'm wondering if the cats on my GS are starting to break down as they get hot really quick. After just a 5 minute, normal journey they "tick" like mad when the engine is switched off... is this quite normal? :blink:

Tony.

the "Tick" will be the different metalic elements cooling at diffent rates, not only in the Cat, but all over the engine, and car.

there really is no visable way to tell the internal condition of a cat(of couse if its rusty and smashed thats different), the first you will know of it failing. will be its emmisions result, however on a car with a boost guage you would be able to see an indication of it failing as it creates more back pressure.

at the most extream, sometimes a cat can completely break up (Fuel igniting in the exhaust(backfire) can cuase this, when this happens the exhaust will usually have a very audible rattle to it, the test would be to hit the cat with your hand from underneath(when cold) or even remove the cat and have a look at its condition

the "Tick" will be the different metalic elements cooling at diffent rates, not only in the Cat, but all over the engine, and car.

there really is no visable way to tell the internal condition of a cat(of couse if its rusty and smashed thats different), the first you will know of it failing. will be its emmisions result, however on a car with  a boost guage you would be able to see an indication of it failing as it creates more back pressure.

at the most extream, sometimes a cat can completely break up (Fuel igniting in the exhaust(backfire) can cuase this, when this happens the exhaust will usually have a very audible rattle to it, the test would be to hit the cat with your hand from underneath(when cold) or even remove the cat and have a look at its condition

Thanks for the reply Mat. The cats must be OK as the car passed the emissions test 3 months ago (MOT). I just wondered if the system was getting too hot too quick, my last car was a 3.5 litre B*W without cats and there was never any ticking from that... well maybe a little after a good thrash :P

Tony.

Would the car throw a CEL or something when they fail?

I've noticed my car is getting slower and consumption is going through the roof - I've used nearly half a tank of Optimax doing 80 miles (I was a bit above the speed limit) but should have thought the car would be doing more than that?!

Would this be a sympton of Pre CAT failure?

I fink my cat is failing/dead on my car. As Aido, I too am going through a lot of petrol doing chuff all miles. Power is most certainly down and there are lots of rattles coming from under the car. CEL has also come on a couple of times and the car dies under hard acceleration but starts immediately when you turn the key again.

The main cat is fooked I think Mat, rattles quite a bit. Was going to get under the car today but go stuck doing the garden. I have got the day off tomorrow so shall stick it on the ramps and see what state it's really in

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links