Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Going The N/a Route

hi all (im a newbie, john from dublin ireland)

to be insuracne friendly, im gonna go the n/a tuning route for my Beams 4 cylinder engine:

manifold, full exhaust system, cold air induction, throttle body and remapped with HKS F-Con on rolling road (all to be done by TrackDayPerformance in Ireland)......

will this make much of a difference????

i was told it should push her up to about 245 bhp but ive no idea what standard torque figures are and how much they will be affected by it.......

any info is much appreciated

John

Hi John

Thats an awesome setup. Yes you will find an improvement, although you wont need an induction kit with throttle bodys ;)

Sirnixalot is doing something similar aswell... http://au.lexusownersclub.comindex.php?showtopic=1271

Welcome to the forum too :)

Welcome to the club John (from fellow Dublin member) :D :D

Any pics of your motor?

:offtopic: Did you get insurance quotes for the mods or are you declaring them?Whats the insurance like on the standard 210bhp Altezza? I really want a supercharger for my IS but don't know if the insurance hike will permit

itb's going to be pretty steep! but would sound loverrrly would love to do the same but for performance per £ i think some boostage would be better

I think those mods will make a significant difference especially after the remap. 245 doesn't seem unreasonable tbh

what makes and parts are you going for?

and welcome btw!

Welcome to the club John (from fellow Dublin member) :D  :D

Any pics of your motor?

:offtopic: Did you get insurance quotes for the mods or are you declaring them?Whats the insurance like on the standard 210bhp Altezza? I really want a supercharger for my IS but don't know if the insurance hike will permit

the insurance is actually cheaper for me than the is200 :ohmy: im wit eagle star and they dont class it as powerful as an ordinary is200...as far as d mods go , i talked to one of the brolers on the phone and she said as long as ur not turbo or supercharging it, then it will only b an xtra few quid......

no pics at teh mo, only got her on saturday and shes in gettin a clifford 950 today with upgraded fronr+back components, 2 kenwood 2 channel amps and a new h/u (my 1 was broken :crying: ).............

itb's going to be pretty steep! but would sound loverrrly would love to do the same but for performance per £ i think some boostage would be better

I think those mods will make a significant difference especially after the remap. 245 doesn't seem unreasonable tbh

what makes and parts are you going for?

and welcome btw!

eeem im gettin a hks manifold and either a hks hiper full exhaust system or a blitz nur spec system, a custom made throttle body (by trackdayperformance), hks f-con and mapped on tdp's rolling roday (dynapack) :driving:

hi all (im a newbie, john from dublin ireland)

to be insuracne friendly, im gonna go the n/a tuning route for my Beams 4 cylinder engine:

manifold, full exhaust system, cold air induction, throttle body and remapped with HKS F-Con on rolling road (all to be done by TrackDayPerformance in Ireland)......

will this make much of a difference????

i was told it should push her up to about 245 bhp but ive no idea what standard torque figures are and how much they will be affected by it.......

any info is much appreciated

John

Header = C-one or HKS Type 1, the c-one has the larges diameter primaries of all the headers offered for the altezza (48mm), the HKS type 1 and 2 use 45mm primaries (the type 1 is a 4-1, the type 2 is a 4-2-1 design)

Do a 2.5" exhaust from the header back. and a de-cat as well. The mid pipe has the cat integrated into it. I would suggest getting a new b-pipe made up, put a straight through resonator on it if you are worried about noise.

If you are going with the F-con you can do away with the MAF, i suggest getting the TRD ITB's kit or help me out and do it cheaper (itb adapter US$360, used 20v itbs US$240, ITB's velocity stacks $220).

The stock throttle body has an ID of 73mm...you DO NOT NEED to replace this UNLESS you want to get rid of the electronic throttle body/traction control.

The f-con and itbs with velocity stacks are worth about 30-40bhp. You will be able to hit 245bhp with those mods. I would consider getting cams as well if i were you. The Toda cams are the cheapest but they are also the mildest (268* intake 264* exhaust).

Also i would try to keep the VVTi if its going to be a daily driver.

These mods will get you around 220bhp or 175-180whp and around 170ft/lbs of torque or 130-135rwtq

apexi intake and heat sheild

c-one header

2.5 midpipe no cat

2.5" exhaust

power fc/emanage

(Toda cams & valve springs with 8500rpm add 7-10rwhp)

(TRD 280* cams & valve springs with 8800rpm add 10-13rwhp)

(TRD 296* cams & valve springs with 8800rpm add 14-15rwhp)

These mods will get you around 240bhp or 190-195whp and around 140-145rwtq.

Open itb's

C-one header

2.5" midpipe no cat

2.5" exhaust

f-con

If you are going to dig into the engine the head has quite a bit of material left for porting. Also you could grab an Toda 0.5mm head gasket and run a 12:1 compression. (roughly every 0.3mm = 0.5 CR points) Keep in mind with that compression ratio Optimax is a REQUIRMENT. You may even need to add octane booster or do a race fuel/optimax mix.

A 0.5 bump in compression ratio wont do ALOT for power (you may see 2whp) but if you are trying to squeeze every last hp out it will help, besides if you are opening the engine up you will need a new gasket anyway. Also getting a set of lighter forged pistons and an engine balancing would help. If you go with pistons i would go the custom route, send the manufacturer of your choice and just get them to replicate it, they should have some weight loss options for the pistons as well. The lighter the better BUT you will not be able to run a large shot of nitrous or boost with these (who would boost a 12:1CR motor for a daily driver is beyond me). Light pistons wont have the mass to cope with the increased heat and pressure that boost adds.

All of those parts are usless without good tuning. I'm not sure what A/F ratio these motors make power at because ive never put mine on a dyno/rolling road yet but im making an educated guess that around 13:1 will be good.

I'll just summarize my current setup and planned mods

Current

Emanage (hope to change to a TEC 3)

Apexi intake & heat sheild

de-catted stock mid pipe

blitz nur spec

Nitrous express 125hp shot

TRD cerametallic clutch & flywheel

Planned

TEC 3 ecu (does away with MAF)

Open 20v itb's with velocity stacks

C-one header

Fujitsubo power getter mid pipe (catless)

Buddy club racing spec 3 (i think its the 3) exhaust

Toda 0.5mm head gasket

Custom forged pistons (probably from Arias or Ross, will get the crowns ceramic coated and the skirts moly coated)

Possibly Crower or eagle rods (the lighter of the 2, also i'm not sure if the 3sgte rods work, i dont really want to spend money on custom rods)

Light head work, basically just gasket matching and polishing the ports (will moly coat the valve stems & ceramic coat the valve faces and combustion chamber.

Cryo treat the stock rods if reused as well as the valve springs.

All and all i think i can get a 210-220rwhp out of it which would be around an 50-60rwhp increase over stock.

All my figures are best guesses i dont have any actual numbers on their increases. That being said i am confident that they are a good estimate. The cam power increases may be a bit optomistic.

For what its worth the TRD motor makes 270bhp 180ftlb tq or around 216rwhp 145rwtq.

The mods the TRD motor has that i know of are

87mm pistons

13.5:1 compression ratio

TRD ITB kit

TRD header

TRD exhaust

TRD VVTi-invalid 296* cams

I suggest you uprate the clutch with those power mods, where you might not have the Torque my supercharger kit has, it will still shorten the OE clutch's life considerbly.

I wonder if i did this ontop of the supercharger already fitted

87mm pistons

TRD header

TRD exhaust

:yahoo:

I suggest you uprate the clutch with those power mods, where you might not have the Torque my supercharger kit has, it will still shorten the OE clutch's life considerbly.

I wonder if i did this ontop of the supercharger already fitted

87mm pistons

TRD header

TRD exhaust

:yahoo:

Am has a point on the clutch. Get at least an uprated organic.

Btw...your supercharger wouldnt cope with the 13.5:1 compression ratio unless you ran ALOT of methanol injection.

Header = C-one or HKS Type 1, the c-one has the larges diameter primaries of all the headers offered for the altezza (48mm), the HKS type 1 and 2 use 45mm primaries (the type 1 is a 4-1, the type 2 is a 4-2-1 design)

Do a 2.5" exhaust from the header back.  and a de-cat as well.  The mid pipe has the cat integrated into it.  I would suggest getting a new b-pipe made up, put a straight through resonator on it if you are worried about noise.

If you are going with the F-con you can do away with the MAF, i suggest getting the TRD ITB's kit or help me out and do it cheaper (itb adapter US$360, used 20v itbs US$240, ITB's velocity stacks $220).

The stock throttle body has an ID of 73mm...you DO NOT NEED to replace this UNLESS you want to get rid of the electronic throttle body/traction control.

The f-con and itbs with velocity stacks are worth about 30-40bhp.  You will be able to hit 245bhp with those mods.  I would consider getting cams as well if i were you.  The Toda cams are the cheapest but they are also the mildest (268* intake 264* exhaust).

Also i would try to keep the VVTi if its going to be a daily driver.

These mods will get you around 220bhp or 175-180whp and around 170ft/lbs of torque or 130-135rwtq

apexi intake and heat sheild

c-one header

2.5 midpipe no cat

2.5" exhaust

power fc/emanage

These mods will get you around 240bhp or 190-195whp and around 140-145rwtq.

Open itb's

C-one header

2.5" midpipe no cat

2.5" exhaust

f-con

If you are going to dig into the engine the head has quite a bit of material left for porting.  Also you could grab an Toda 0.5mm head gasket and run a 12:1 compression. (roughly every 0.3mm = 0.5 CR points)  Keep in mind with that compression ratio Optimax is a REQUIRMENT.  You may even need to add octane booster or do a race fuel/optimax mix.

A 0.5 bump in compression ratio wont do ALOT for power (you may see 2whp) but if you are trying to squeeze every last hp out it will help, besides if you are opening the engine up you will need a new gasket anyway.  Also getting a set of lighter forged pistons and an engine balancing would help.  If you go with pistons i would go the custom route, send the manufacturer of your choice and just get them to replicate it, they should have some weight loss options for the pistons as well.  The lighter the better BUT you will not be able to run a large shot of nitrous or boost with these (who would boost a 12:1CR motor for a daily driver is beyond me).  Light pistons wont have the mass to cope with the increased heat and pressure that boost adds.

All of those parts are usless without good tuning.  I'm not sure what A/F ratio these motors make power at because ive never put mine on a dyno/rolling road yet but im making an educated guess that around 13:1 will be good.

I'll just summarize my current setup and planned mods

Current

Emanage (hope to change to a TEC 3)

Apexi intake & heat sheild

de-catted stock mid pipe

blitz nur spec

Nitrous express 125hp shot

TRD cerametallic clutch & flywheel

Planned

TEC 3 ecu (does away with MAF)

Open 20v itb's with velocity stacks

C-one header

Fujitsubo power getter mid pipe (catless)

Buddy club racing spec 3 (i think its the 3) exhaust

Toda 0.5mm head gasket

Custom forged pistons (probably from Arias or Ross, will get the crowns ceramic coated and the skirts moly coated)

Possibly Crower or eagle rods (the lighter of the 2, also i'm not sure if the 3sgte rods work, i dont really want to spend money on custom rods)

Light head work, basically just gasket matching and polishing the ports (will moly coat the valve stems & ceramic coat the valve faces and combustion chamber.

Cryo treat the stock rods if reused as well as the valve springs.

All and all i think i can get a 210-220rwhp out of it which would be around an 50-60rwhp increase over stock.

All my figures are best guesses i dont have any actual numbers on their increases.  That being said i am confident that they are a good estimate.  The cam power increases may be a bit optomistic.

For what its worth the TRD motor makes 270bhp 180ftlb tq or around 216rwhp 145rwtq.

The mods the TRD motor has that i know of are

87mm pistons

TRD ITB kit

TRD header

TRD exhaust

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

top advice I'm bookmarking this!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links