Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My first GS ('95) had 39,000 on her when I bought her. The service records showed that new ball joints were fitted @ 37,000.

My present GS ('00) has just been serviced (34,000), and the service manager has informed me that my ball joints need replacing. Luckily, it seems, the garage I bought the car from is honouring it's warranty, and I have arranged for them to do the job next week.

But what is it with GS ball joints? :duh:

When I let my '95 go last year, it had 84,000 on it, had just been serviced, and there was no mention of the second set of joints wearing out.

Looks like Lexus should build the GS with it's replacement parts. They last longer. :D

Anyone else notice this kind of thing on other bits?

Anything else to watch out for?

Phil.

:rolleyes: Seems to be a general problem with all the range...LS,GS not read the IS but moneys on there being problems,and the price of replacements :lol: .

Lexus uk must look through this forum and have a right :lol: at how much they make in replacement parts.

The mark up on the price of parts is unreal.

Dont get me wrong there nice cars,but there making a fortune on the price of parts and like you say theres no real value for money in the life of them,poor design/quality more like.

You only got to look in the dealers workshops at the stacks of boxes,full of IS alloys that are returned under warranty because of corrosion every month.

How come a Upperwish arm/ball joint for my mk1 GS/Aristo (its the same part number) is around £350 for one (i need two) off the uk dealers,and from Japan i can buy a PAIR for under £300 :ohmy:

Ive spoken to companys in the uk who will make them but need a order of 50 to make it worth there while.

If Lexus uk dropped the prices of parts they would sale alot more parts meaning more turnover through the year.

Cheers chips.

They have you by the ball joints. Also GS front bearings at £105 a shot and front discs.

I've had six Honda and these items never seem to wear out. The Power of Dreams.

They have you by the ball joints. Also GS front bearings at £105 a shot and front discs.

I've had six Honda and these items never seem to wear out. The Power of Dreams.

No problem with bearings, but if that was the case, we have a bearing outlet about a mile away that have never let us down. Machines, reps cars, even motorcycle bearings; which bike shops will tell you "Oh, those are special for that model". Yeah, right! :whistling:

The discs on my MK1 were replaced at about 50,000, but those things are directly related to driving habits.

I know of a 12 year old Carina that has only had it's first set of brakes changed. The driver worked shift. Started at 10pm. Finished at 6am. 40 miles to work. 40 miles home. Only ever touched the brakes to park at the job, and again at home. :D

It just seemed a little too coincidental that the joints went on my MK1 and MK2 around the same mileage.

Phil.

Get a second opinion mate - it's too bloody easy for a dealership to say you need new suspension parts.

Mine had just started to get a little loose at 160,000 miles.

A second opinion would have been the first thing that I would have done if the car was out of warranty. I went immediately back to the (Honda) dealer that I bought it off, emparted my tale of woe, and we ordered the new joints off of Lexus there and then. He arranged to pick the joints up tomorrow (friday), and then we went out back and saw his foreman who booked my car in for next wednesday. :)

I have dealt with this dealer before, and he has always been straight with me.

I am actually driving down to Romsey (Hants), for my niece's wedding at the end of the month, so I am glad that this will be sorted for the trip. :D

I havn't driven on UK motorways for a while, so it will be a change for me.

Phil.

Mines just clocked 120K, the passenger side has enough play in it for me not to put the new alloy's until I've found a replacement at a reasonable price. Driver's side has got no problems, still strong and solid

My 96 Sport failed its MOT on the front lower joints a couple of months ago, it had around 82,000 miles on it at the time. I ordered them through Lexus dealer and got 10% Gold discount, then my Dad and I fitted them ourselves.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links