Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help!

Have driven my IS300 approx 50 miles for last two days, and noticed that the brakes seems to be getting ridiculously hot - they steam if you pour cold water on them!! I have never noticed this before, although my normal journey to and from work is much shorter.

Is this normal for an IS or should I be worried? It's booked in for a service week Monday, so that can't come round fast enough right now!

Cheers

Amanda

Have driven my IS300 approx 50 miles for last two days, and noticed that the brakes seems to be getting ridiculously hot - they steam if you pour cold water on them!! I have never noticed this before, although my normal journey to and from work is much shorter.

Is this normal for an IS or should I be worried? It's booked in for a service week Monday, so that can't come round fast enough right now!

Cheers

Amanda

They will all steam a bit if its just been driven, but after say a 5 mile drive if one steams so bad you almost lose sight of the wheel, then it will be one of the pistons on the front calipers (asumming its the front) they have two, check out a brakes post within last couple of days. A few of us have had the prioblem with a sticking piston.

If brakes are binding you can usually tell on a slight slope you would normally roll on, it doesn't roll.

If it goes in on Monday and they say you need a new caliper, tell em no thanks, if your up to it you can free it by levering it back in then someone presses the peda *- lever it in repeat until you can see it sucking back in by itself (about 1mm) when you release the pedal - you should be able to see the other piston operating how the stuck one should.

If you not upto it, dont mess with the brakes !!

nice diagnosis. :D

When you brake does the car pull in any direction left or right?

Could be a seizing caliper if so, or possibly the discs could be warped.

Get an mot station to do a brake test on the car to check there efficiency. For a tenner it could save you a lot of time and money! :D

Thanks guys, that's useful advice. (Hadn't occurred to me that pouring cold water on them would be a bad idea :blush: )

I have notices that all four discs are suddenly very shiny and polished looking. Hmm.

Cheers

Amanda

Get an mot station to do a brake test on the car to check there efficiency. For a tenner it could save you a lot of time and money! :D

Some places like Kwik Fit ...... do it for free ...........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links