Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Porter Polisher

Just received my Porter cable polisher, it came supplied with a light green, a blue and an orange pad plus a white buffing bonnet.

I have a few light scratches to remove (Merguiers Scratch-X or Autoglym Paint renovator)

Then Klasse AOI

Then Klasse Sealant

Which colour pad for which job?

personally, I would say:

- scratch X - by hand.

- Autoglym Paintwork Renovator. Orange Pad. If you do this, follow it with AIO on the green pad.

- AIO (without the Autoglym before) - blue pad.

- buff both of these off using the white pad with a buffing bonnet over it. My rule is to buff until your shadow becomes your reflection B)

- SG / Wax - by hand. I have applied wax and SG by hand, and buffed off with a bonnet. Both times I was not happy with the results.

The wax just loaded up the bonnet, and was a bugger to buff. I got some holographic marring taking off the SG :blush:

As you should have got the paintwork in tip top shape with the washing / claying / polishing - take the time to finish by hand, and get it perfect B)

43600002_G_004.sized.jpg

personally, I would say:

- scratch X - by hand.

- Autoglym Paintwork Renovator. Orange Pad. If you do this, follow it with AIO on the green pad.

- AIO (without the autoglym before) - blue pad.

- buff both of these off using the white pad with a buffing bonnet over it. My rule is to buff until your shadow becomes your reflection B)

- SG / Wax - by hand. I have applied wax and SG by hand, and buffed off with a bonnet. Both times I was not happy with the results.

The wax just loaded up the bonnet, and was a bugger to buff. I got some holographic marring taking off the SG :blush:

As you should have got the paintwork in tip top shape with the washing / claying / polishing - take the time to finish by hand, and get it perfect B)

43600002_G_004.sized.jpg

Goodness!! :excl: Why bother with the gym!! :duh: :P

Dave from Autoglym seems to recommend Sonus SFX-1 & 2 rather than Klasse AOI with the polisher......I have a shelfload of detailing products and was happy with my hand-applied Klasse finish a couple of months ago.

Should I stick with the Klasse products with the polisher?

not used them mate - so cant comment from my own experience.

but - the autopia site says

SONÜS RESTORE (SFX-1) is a fast-action cutting and paintwork restoration polish. Use SFX-1 to cut and buff 1200 grit sanding marks (after paint repairs), heavy swirl marks, surface scratches, orange peel and severe oxidation. You may also use SONÜS SFX-1 to repair the damage cause by water spot etching and bird droppings. This is the right polish to use when paint is in rough condition to the blend body shop repairs. It beautifully removes finish marring and restores aged finishes.

SONÜS ENHANCE (SFX-2) is a buffered swirl-mark reducer and gloss-enhancing polish. Use SFX-2 to restore full gloss after compounding with SFX-1 or to remove fine scratches, swirl-marks and light oxidation. This is the right polish to use to maintain an as-new on daily-use vehicles.

So I would say to NOT use these instead of Klasse, as these are restorative products.

If you have rough paintwork, badly swirled etc - then these products sound like they would do a good job to restore it.

But - I would only use them the once to carry out this restoration.

I dont get the impression your paintwork is in that condition Mike.

I would say use the least agressive product to get the results you want - which would be your Klasse stuff.

Describe your paintwork bud - does that quote apply to your car?

Matt - I have something like 5-6 stone chips on the front bonnet to do this weekend, plus a couple of scuff marks on the front wing (behind the headlamp), one one the rear (forward of the rear light cluster), like when some wowwypop has rubbed past the car in a car park.

(my front bumper is a mess, but looks like it'll get sorted out under the warranty)

I think most of these will come out with Scatch-X and Autoglym paint restorer, but just wanted some confirmation.

ok, i'll do mine and some panels on a green clio as that would probably show the difference better than white.

all we need now is some nice (ish) weather, slightly overcast would be good!

here's one pic after a going over with SFX-1 + 2 and then the Klasse Twins topped with Pinnacle Carnuba Wax

gallery_4363_57_98740.jpg

tried to hide the damaged arch! (at the bottom)

will get a better pic and some more up at the weekend

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links