Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rumble Research

jasestu

Hi team,

I'm wanting to collate as much information as I can about this frustrating rumble (link includes sound files). The rumble is heard/felt on many RS200 manuals during the overrun (when you back off the accelerator) and the car revs down through 3000 rpm.

I'm calling on all manual RS200 owners (who still have a 3S-GE in there) to fill out a quick survey for me:

Induction

Flywheel

Gearbox

Exhaust

Year

Rumble yes/no

+ any other information you think might be helpful.

Here's me:

Induction - Factory (tried with 4500rpm flap, that one that selects air from the front vs the wheel arch, open and closed)

Flywheel - Factory (dual mass, not changed since factory)

Gearbox - Factory

Exhaust - Factory

Year - 1999

Rumble - Yes :(

Other Information

Have replaced the factory driveshaft 'cause it had notchy universals. Thought this may be a cause, but it had no effect on the rumble.

Induction - Forced induction

Flywheel - TRD Lightweight

Gearbox - Factory

Exhaust - HKS Silent Hi-Power

Year - 1999

Rumble - No

Also.... have youi checked to see if your propshaft isn't bent or warped?

The rumble is quite common, allegedly its a trait of this engine, ive herd about this before from TTE

I've heard almost every story of what the rumble 'could' be, but have not been convinced of any real cause, yet. Someone mentioned that 3SGE MR2's sometimes exhibit the noise, but I'm yet to confirm. My current theory (read guess) is that it's caused in the engine and amplified by the driveline. Driveline changes seem to affect the noise/rumble, but not really eliminate it. I want to try and tinker more with the intake and how the ECU manages fuel to see if any of that can affect the rumble (following the caused in the intake/plenium theory).

Thanks for the responces so far, I'll collate and present some results once I've got a few more.

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

Well I'm still rumbling. Here's the results I've collected so far:

RumbleSummary.png

I can't spot a trend. Anyone else?

I'm getting a lot of driveline/transmission work done shortly. If that doesn't change anything then I'm buying an Air:Fuel controller and seeing if I can override what might be causing it from that angle...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links