Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi,

I understand that the air-con gas R12 contains CFCs and so banned, but the newer R134a is the stuff to have today, however conversion can be very expensive. I beleive that the change over time was around 1995 which is M reg and the start of Mk3 production.

I'm looking for a decent Mk 3 Ls400, but wish to make sure that it is R134a in the A?C.

How can I make sure a Mk3 is R134a charged.

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

A very silly reply..... but most systems have a sticker to tell you which refridgerant they use

Not so silly. But, Today I have a Rover 800 1995 M reg and there is no sticker for the air-con, so I had to take it to a dealer for ID.

That's why I had to ask the Silly question. :mat:

My '93 uses the R143a, if that helps.  The garage where I work are able to do R12 regasses because there is a substitute gas that is available which isnt harmful :D

Thanks JayBeeBee, I can look at '95-on cars with even more confidance.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I understand that the air-con gas R12 contains CFCs and so banned, but the newer R134a is the stuff to have today, however conversion can be very expensive.  I beleive that the change over time was around 1995 which is M reg and the start of Mk3 production.

I'm looking for a decent Mk 3 Ls400, but wish to make sure that it is R134a in the A?C.

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

Hi simon

EPA phased out R-12, which I believe took 15 years to that job, unofficial they are available around UK , they are environrant pollutants . The entry of R134A came in around 1992 and thus became controlled . R134A. are known to be used from 1992 onward models as OEM.

Most retro kits did not work as well as OEM systems do now, since 134a requires MUCH less to cool the same amount of air (hence more energy efficient).

The major difference between the two according to my instruction was the size of the tubing in the entire system, r-12 needed larger tubes than 134a, and attempting to use the r-12 "legacy" type evaporator/condenser units in addition to the compressor... depending on how much you love your car, the LS400 1992 model onwards have started to use the R134A as the standard cooling equipment. In short to find whether it is R12 or R134 it is the tubing system which you can easily differenciate.

cheers

mann777

Hi,

I understand that the air-con gas R12 contains CFCs and so banned, but the newer R134a is the stuff to have today, however conversion can be very expensive.  I beleive that the change over time was around 1995 which is M reg and the start of Mk3 production.

Thanks in advance.

Simon.

to tell the difference between r12 and 134a if no stickers are available is by the service line connectors, r12 sytems have very small screw type nipples known as shrader valves, whereas 134a have service vales which are quite large and need snap on connectors to charge system, the low side on 134a connecters is smaller than the high side one, hope this helps if you still unsure email me and i will send you fhotoes of the different types

to tell the difference between r12 and 134a if no stickers are available is by the service line connectors, r12 sytems have very small screw type nipples known as shrader valves, whereas 134a have service vales which are quite large and need snap on connectors to charge system, the low side on 134a connecters is smaller than the high side one, hope this helps if you still unsure email me and i will send you fhotoes of the different types

bobrw@ntlworld.com

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links