Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

K&n Typhoon Fitted To A Gs300

Fitted a K&N Typhoon to the Lexus this week. Sounds nice when you blip the throttle, but pulling away for the first time after turning the key feels REALLY sluggish, car takes a little while to perk up.

I've reset the ECU, made no difference. Any suggestions before I ditch the Typhoon and go back to the standard intake?

p.s. the Typhoon is for the IS300, I figured it would work in the GS as the engines are the same, only the mounting points and shape of the standard intake differ.

Unless the internal diameter of the intake pipe where the maf sensor is location is the same as the stock intake then the fueling will not be correct. Maybe that is the problem. The GS and IS may share the same engine but is the intake the same? If not the the ECU is probably different as well.

Hmmm... will have to check.

Incidentally, the drop-in filter for the GS300 is the same as that for the IS300, the 33-2170.

AFM is the same on both (22204-22010 fits LOADS of different cars, from the Scion xA to the LS430).

Depth of sensor hole (from top of screw holes): GS300 77mm, K&N 81mm

Internal diameter of pipe at sensor location: GS300 67mm, K&N 72mm

Would I be able to narrow the pipe at the sensor location using a 2.5mm thick layer of 1" wide PVC electrical tape, or is the air turbulence from this likely to cause issues?

Or should I just whack the whole thing back on eBay?

Depth of sensor hole (from top of screw holes): GS300 77mm, K&N 81mm

Internal diameter of pipe at sensor location: GS300 67mm, K&N 72mm

Would I be able to narrow the pipe at the sensor location using a 2.5mm thick layer of 1" wide PVC electrical tape, or is the air turbulence from this likely to cause issues?

Or should I just whack the whole thing back on eBay?

If your going to give up on it, let me know and I may take it off your hands :)

Have you put back the standard intake? Did it improve things? If so I wouldn't mess around just sell it, unless you want to put it on a rolling road and get the fueling checked/corrected.

Will swap back tomorrow lunchtime.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links