Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice Needed From Our Police Members

Claire G

I belong to another forum and one of the women there is having a helluva time of it at the moment. Basically her neighbour attacked her daughter and they don't know what they can do about it as the neighbour is threatening to bring counter charges.

Below is her story, just wondered if anyone has some solid advice as to what she should do and if the daughter is likely to be prosecuted if they do decide to press charges. Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

i went to visit family in brummyland on sunday ''for a week'' my kids chose to stay at home, son 17 daughter 18 so no prob... or at least i thought

well teens being teens. they had few mates round.. four to be precise

the guy who lives in a flat below us came and asked my daughter to keep noise down.. well he actually walked straight into our place...

he then said if she didnt he would hit her to which her reply was '' you cant do that''

he promptly punched her four times in the face! luckily she managed to push him out the door ... but scratched him on his chest to when the police came he told them that if my daughter pressed charges he would too.. and she would be arrested too.. so basically he got away with punching her although the police have said they will issue a warning to him

this morning his daughter invited herself in.. called my daughter all the names under the sun and said shes gonna kill her when she sees her outside she also tipped the contents of our wheelie bin in my hallway and over the doorstep.. the police reckon they cant do anything about her!!

i came home today as soon as i could and my daughters face is a mess.. i cry every time i look at her!!

im not a police man, but my advice.

get her daughter to the hospital/doctors to get her face documented, or even take photos of it herself along with say todays newspaper to prove the date.

then go ahead and press charges, after all theose 4 people that were over all all witnesses. did this bloke have any witnesses when he let himself into the flat which is trespassing and if he was tresspassing then your daughter i would say is well within her rights to fear for her life as a strange man was in the flat uninvited, so even if the bloke says she sctratched him first then she was only scared and trying to get him out as he was very aggresive.

also i would try and record any future harasments if they can, ie camera running when one of them starts abusing again..

im not sure, but what is he going to press charges against, she was acting in self defence (or more so pushing him out of the flat where he forced his way in) & and has her mates as witnesses....it might be an idea to take pics of her, so that she can claim compensation

I belong to another forum and one of the women there is having a helluva time of it at the moment. Basically her neighbour attacked her daughter and they don't know what they can do about it as the neighbour is threatening to bring counter charges.

Below is her story, just wondered if anyone has some solid advice as to what she should do and if the daughter is likely to be prosecuted if they do decide to press charges. Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

i went to visit family in brummyland on sunday ''for a week'' my kids chose to stay at home, son 17 daughter 18 so no prob... or at least i thought

well teens being teens. they had few mates round.. four to be precise

the guy who lives in a flat below us came and asked my daughter to keep noise down.. well he actually walked straight into our place...

he then said if she didnt he would hit her to which her reply was '' you cant do that''

he promptly punched her four times in the face! luckily she managed to push him out the door ... but scratched him on his chest to  when the police came he told them that if my daughter pressed charges he would too.. and she would be arrested too..so basically he got away with punching her although the police have said they will issue a warning to him

this morning his daughter invited herself in.. called my daughter all the names under the sun and said shes gonna kill her when she sees her outside she also tipped the contents of our wheelie bin in my hallway and over the doorstep.. the police reckon they cant do anything about her!!

i came home today as soon as i could and my daughters face is a mess.. i cry every time i look at her!!

Firstly the girl must attend hospital ASAP to have her injuries recorded by the doctor. This will help determining what if any assault charges are brought against the defendant at a later date.

Secondly how old is the victim because this can also be a factor in how the evidence is obtained for her, whether it is taken via video or written statement.

Does the victim have any supporting witness that will come forward and offer evidence in the case?

Also never be worried about counter allegations (when the police came he told them that if my daughter pressed charges he would too.. and she would be arrested too.) The classic get out line to frighten the victim into not making a complaint. If you are the victim of an assault in your own home then I think the person responsible will have a very hard time explaining how the victim came to receive her injuries in her home when all he seems to have is a few scratches to his chest.

As for the defendants Daughter well she is on thin ice indeed as "Threats to kill" is also an Arrestable Offence and this can be investigated as well.

If the incidents of harassment continue, then i suggest the setting up of a CCTV system to catch the incidents on tape to give to the Police for further investigations. Tell the victim if she hasn't done anything wrong then she should make the complaint and let the police do the work.

Some Scottish advice, different laws, but the principles are the same.

The woman must approach the police first and make a complaint of assault and other crimes, beit threats or otherwise. If she has witnesses all the better, but that should not put her off recording the complaint. The police will do the rest.

Can I dispel this myth of 'pressing charges' - no-one presses charges aside from the prosecution service. Pressing charges is a 'The Bill' term and I hate it.

Should there be no further evidence to report a case , i.e. the neighbour is denying the assault, then the recording of this incident, will help build a picture for any future instances, and help to bring a case for prosecution.

If neighbour has any sense, he will take heed of any warning given and that will be that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links