Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Picked Up My First Lexus, Few Questions

Just bought a bargain basement 1991 LS400, paid £1100 for it with 220k on the clock but full history, recent cambelt and service. Overall very happy with it, I've been a speed freak before now and my car choices have reflected that, but this thing is so relaxing to drive that I don't feel the need to do anything as vulgar as accelerate, I just depress the pedal and enjoy the silence as it gathers speed :)

Drove the car 250 miles back from the auction last night and it rides and handles very well for such a big car, hadn't test driven it but haven't found any major faults with it so I think I've done alright! Dash lights up perfectly, climate LCD not too bad either although I may change it at some point.

There are some things I would like to fix though. Starting with the simple ones, the leather cover on the gearshift has frayed and started to come away, is it possible to remove it and replace with a new piece or does it need to be stitched in place by a retrimmer? The electric aerial doesn't work, no whirring noises or anything when I switch to using the radio and no reception at all(original stereo is fitted throughout), does it need replacing or has a wire come adrift or something? Also, can someone confirm that the outside door lock should light up and the ignition key hole should light up as described in the owners manual? I dont want to pull them to bits only to find out that the illumination was an optional extra that I haven't got!

Next, the wheels are in poor condition and either need completely refurbing or replacing. A search for "Lexus wheels" on eBay throws up lots of possibilities, my car is currently on 15's. Would a change to 16's affect the ride badly? I am not a fan of putting big wheels on cars for the sake of looks, I just want a smart set of wheels for the thing as the existing ones let it down badly. If I can go for 15, 16 or 17 wheels without upsetting the car then that gives me more to choose from.

The shims need adjusting on one of the cylinders, I have worked on a lot of toyota cars before so that's not too scary a thought, but can anyone tell me which gaskets are likely to need replacing when I pull the top end of the engine apart far anough to get at them? I think it's coming from the passenger side bank of the engine which seems simpler to get at. The PS pump needs replacing, is there any choice except to go to Lexus for a replacement unit? I can fit it myself no problems which will save a bit, don't want to pay £500 or whatever for a pump though!

Finally, there's quite a thump when going from P or N into Drive. I've never owned an auto car before, is this normal? Auto seems really smooth when on the move, and doesn't thump when going into R. Will check the fluid levels as soon as I get chance.

Welcome to the club, always glad to see someone who has more miles on the clock!

Will do some research on the key lights but I don't think mine work either. Chances are it will have to be dark before they work as I think there is a daylight sensor near the windscreen.

Aerial is an easy one to fix I believe, check out your lexus "homework" on

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/powerantenna.html

Thump is common I think, there is a fair amount of torque comming into play from the V8. Mine does it anyway.

Pumps can be reconditioned for sub £200.

Be interested in the shimming job, search the US forums for info, there is a whole bunch there.

Will be interested in the feedback on the other points myself....

Cheers,

Leadfoot.

Welcome to the club, it's good to see more LS owners joining. :D

As for your questions, I think leadfoot's covered most of them. The problems you have are the main LS faults and there will be loads of help in he US forums. It's always best to check there as there's loads more LS models there (It was packaged for the yanks after all)

Before you replace the PS pump make sure it isn't just a seal (a common problem) as these are a couple of quid and can be fixed as long as you're handy with spanners, which it sounds like you are.Don't just ignore it though as they can leak onto the alternator on Series 1's and ruin that as well.

My aerial also stays up, the climate control displays are OK, except first thing in the morning( there's a guy who fixes them on eBay who's highly recommended on here) and the wheels are shabby (i've been told about £30 a wheel by a few different places) As leadfoot said the thud is normal on an auto (within reason) and i've just checked my keyhole illumination, which doesn't work either.

Most S1 and S2 LS400 owners have/ have had these problems so it looks like you've got a good deal to me.

I expect you had the same question as most LS newbie's when you were gliding 250 miles back home- "Why didn't it cost more?"

It's because people are scared of the fuel bills/ things going wrong.

(I get about 25 MPG average and up to 30 on a run.)

Some LS drivers have reported a smoother gbox after changing the gb oil, but it will be £100 just for the oil, and many also say make sure you use genuine Toyota gb oil. see lexls tutorials, a MAGIC site for all LS diy enthusiasts. I'll be doing my cambelt at Christmas.

Hi and Welcome to LOC :) .

If you want to keep the smooth ride then dont go for larger wheels because you will have to reduce the tyre side wall profile and it will hurt the smooth ride and increase tyre/road noise.

I did put 18s on my mk1 LS because i was after more grip and my wheels also looked rough.

Happy Motoring :driving:

Cheers chips.

I put 18s on my mk1 (Chips's old car!) and the handling (and looks) improved dramatically. It used to be a bit boat like on the standard balloons! I found they made the ride very slightly more bumpy down the country roads but on mains and motorways it made no difference. I would choose 18s again but perhaps 17s are a better choice for extra comfort!

Hope you enjoy your LS as much as me!!!

don't get any thump noise on mine when shifting into gear . goes into drive or reverse smoothly .. could this be rare?

door lock light .. on mine the interior light comes on when you lift the door handle up as if to open the door before unlocking . the lock itself doesn't light up on mine , should it hmmm don't know but the book says it should ... also the interior light comes on when unlocked by the remote ....

PS pump ... sounds like the seal could be the fault . did mine a few months ago and it is an easy job to do ... about half an hour to do ....

don't know about the gear shift , though there was another tread somewhere about replacement shifts for sale ... would think it is possible to get recovered by a trimmer though ...

aeriel .. check for power first . if there is power it could be the motor. if not try looking for a blown fuse .. if all else fails SING . lol...

cheers Keiron...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links