Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help Needed Please

Niraj

Hi guys,

i'm in the process of having my parents garden re-landscaped, and a brick built shed / games room at the bottom of the garden. The dimensions of the floor are 8mx5m.

Does anybody know the regulations i should be aware of regarding the height of this building? I have been told by the council that it should not exceed 3m, but the builders are already 297cm without the roof line.

Please help me urgently, so i can get them to drop it down a level if necessary. I am worried that the roof line will exceed the maximum allowed height.

Does anybody know where the height is measured from and to?

Also, if there is anything else i need to be aware, please make it known.

Thanks all, i hope someone will be able to "shed" some light (excuse the pun) on the situation for me.

Thanks,

Regards,

Niraj.

From: http://www.diydata.com/planning/planregper..._rules.htm#shed

Neither Planning Permission or Building Regulation approval is required provided that:

* Sheds and greenhouses do not cover more than half of the area of the garden; not including the area occupied by the house.

* It contains no sleeping accommodation and the floor area does not exceed 15 square metres. .

* No point is less than one metre from a boundary.

* It is not more than 3m high for a flat roof, or 4m with a ridged roof.

* No part projects beyond any wall of the house that faces a road.

* The outbuilding is for use only by those who occupy the house.

Thanks guys,

the project manager, will be here tomorrow, so i will be having a word with him, to ensure that he keeps the height below 3m.

It is currently 2.97m and just needs the ply-board and roof felt added, which i'm assuming will be less than 1 inch, so should be good :D

i've just been on the Brent Gov site, checking other planning permissions, and the plans were approved, with the 3m height.

So should be "safe"...

Excellent stuff, and you've all helped put my mind at rest, thanks again :D I may even post up pics of the construction when it's all done :)

Cheers All,

Niraj.

Neither Planning Permission or Building Regulation approval is required provided that:

* Sheds and greenhouses do not cover more than half of the area of the garden; not including the area occupied by the house.

* It contains no sleeping accommodation and the floor area does not exceed 15 square metres. .

at 8m x 5m it exceeds the floor area criteria :ohmy:

i hope that we are all going to get an invite when its finished :D

at 8m x 5m it exceeds the floor area criteria :ohmy:

i hope that we are all going to get an invite when its finished :D

It's not a sleeping area... and also the house belongs to my fathers... Wish I could invite all, but i'm afraid it's not my home to invite :(.... we can exchange pictures though :D and pretend.... hehehe

It contains no sleeping accommodation and the floor area does not exceed 15 square metres. .

That is two separate requirements

It contains no sleeping accommodation

floor area does not exceed 15 square metres

Your floor area is 40 square metres. That is pretty big, you will need planning permission for that.

I'm assuming it was 1 requirement as it's a combined statement.

"rule 1 AND rule 2"

but permission not required if rule 1 alone is not met...

or if rule 2 alone is not met.

The wording is hazy... :(

My dad had a quick word with our local council, and apparantly the structure doesn't require planning permission. Although my dad is very vague about the whole thing. He is certain that the floor area is fine... but he wasn't sure about the height... which is why i raised my concern too :( i will have to look into the whole thing again... i'm sure it will be approved anyhow.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links