Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Number Plate Fixing

lexlex2

I had to replace my existing number plate after the MOT advice was to do it since it had got very grubby and had bent. But old plate noticed on the 1998 GS Mk2 - the screws are positioned on top upper section of the plate fixings and similar the holes drilled are near top on the bodywork. One reason why the vertical bending across the plate I think also. But the yellow plastic screws are stuck in the holes with the screw tops snapped off. Cant seem to get them out. One problem to solve but has highlighted why the plate screws not centred to hold it more securely by the lexus dealers.

Mr. Morse, I have had a new plate made & its ready to be fitted although my drill (black & decker) packed in just after its guarantee ran out (not impressed) so i have a new plate that needs drilling and the screws in the fixings removed. I am reluctant to use the stick on strips and prefer it to be screwed. Just dont think the stick on strips are up to the weather conditions. Anyone know of any place that would be willing to help free of charge on a saturday morning.

Just dont think the stick on strips are up to the weather conditions.

I've used double sided tabs on F/R plates on several cars for years and have never lost a single one!

Just need to make sure the surface is clean and it helps to warm the surface with a hairdyer first to improve adhesion.

Rear Plate only. Just have this thought that I am doing high speeds and it flys off the body. Do also remember that the rear plate is non UK standard front plate its slightly larger on/for the GS300 rear. Some rear plates on other UK manufacturers are silly too big to match the rear body design.

I started checking the Lexus site pre owned cars (Gs300) It seems if the dealers are drilling the holes that they have a set standard to drill high up. All the pictures indicate this. Having taken off the boot lid trim I cant understand why the holes are not placed further down since there is no obstruction inside of the boot lid and the body panel sheet is identical down below. But Colin you are right I was unscrewing and exactly as you describe.

I will use the stick strips but also try to get the screws off first and screw in also if successful. (The screws dont look that bad if color matches)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links