Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thanks for that Tony.

One last thing. He never mentioned anything at all to do with the gearbox so I'm guessing it's never had any remedial work or been replaced or anything. The car's done 170 thou so am I going to have to take it easy on the box? I only ask because I know the first thing I'm dying to do is kickdown and see what I've been missing out on.

But then I'll love it so much I'll be doing it all the time! How durable are the auto boxes? Any foreseeable problems?

Adam

Never heard of any problems mate, just check the oil level and look to see if the oil's nice and red and doesn't smell burnt... it should be OK :winky:

It's not the fastest reacting auto box on kick-down, but it's sufficient enough :P :whistling:

Great news your going ahead, you'll never look back mate

To check the oil level on an auto, you'll need to do the following -

Put the foot brake on so that car will not move even when in "D", with the engine running, pull the gear lever slowly through all the selections in the box, this will allow the oil pump to work and get the correct level.

Then pull the dip stick out marked transmission and check the level, there will be 2 markings - "COLD" & "HOT", unless you've been driving at 100 + for a few hours, the gearbox will not be hot enough to register on the "HOT" markings, so you'll only need to look at the "COLD" level, make sure the level is in between the "min" & "max". The colour of the oil should be a light brown and have no smell to it, if it's dark, don't panic, could be the oil has been in there a while or the wrong one has been added, but either way, there should not be any smell from the oil. I'm talking from personal experance here as I blow mine before I was told how to check the oil the corrcet way.

You should have not problems with the kickdown but remember NOT to use the O/D under 60 MPH, to much of the O/D under 60 will cause excess wear on the friction plates (clutch's) and this will give you burning smell in the oil when you check the level, again I found out to late.

Hope this helps

OH - HAPPY MOTORING !!!

Thanks for the help gents.

Not much more to report I'm afraid - still waiting for the all important call from someone wanting to buy Dad's car! Although I think the ad only goes in the Loot on Tuesday.

The suspense is killing me!!

I won't be getting it after all. All sorted until today when I get a call. It's jumping out of top gear all the time and could cost thousands to fix.

Such a shame - it was a really nice car.

Gutted that I can't have it but relieved all the same that this happened before I bought it.

Thanks very much for all of your help though gents. It was much appreciated.

Adam

I won't be getting it after all. All sorted until today when I get a call. It's jumping out of top gear all the time and could cost thousands to fix.

Such a shame - it was a really nice car.

Gutted that I can't have it but relieved all the same that this happened before I bought it.

Thanks very much for all of your help though gents. It was much appreciated.

Adam

Awww, bad luck mate... plenty more fish in the sea :whistling::whistling::whistling:

If you can get the car for a Real bargain because the autobox is broke,sure you could get a replacement autobox from the breakers and fit it yourself as a project or a garage could fit the box for £100 to £150 :unsure:

Could be a better buy broken ;) at the right price.

Thanks for the words of comfort.

Bearing in mind the bloke is my Dad's best mate, he won't let us have it. Him and his brother are the best engineers/mechanics I know and they said they wouldn't even touch it. I see what you're saying chips and I pleaded with them but it's a no go. They're just going to stick it through an auction so someone who has the money and can do without a car for a bit will get a real bargain.

All is not lost though. The plan was to run it for a year or so and then when I've left Uni, to take out a stupidly big loan and buy another car. After driving the GS, I think that other car is going to be a Lexus.

Again, thanks for all your help and who knows...I may speak to you again in a year or so.

Cheers,

Adam

good car.. juicy

but heck first class ride... first class ticket to ride

but stick your foot down and she'll suck you dry ;)

I have the car but where can i find a woman like this

You can't go wrong with a gs300 but they are a swine to find mods for

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links