Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

Before I start, I'm going to point out I'm a student. That will become important soon.

I've currently got a 1.8 Focus. Almost faultless. Love the car but I've always wanted a bigger engine.

My Dad's mate (an engineer) has recently acquired a 1994/5 (not sure which) GS300. Dad and I went to take it for a test drive with the intention of Dad having it for himself. He doesn't want it...but I do!!! I fell in love with it straight away.

It looks in mint condition - I couldn't find a mark on it anywhere. However. It's done 170,000 miles. Now no matter who I speak to, everyone says "It's a Lexus. They don't break". Obviously stuff is going to go wrong with them though as well as consumables although fortunately, it's had new belts, radiator, tyres and exhausts so that's one less thing to worry about.

So, from you guys in the know, would purchasing one of these at age 20, as a struggling student be foolish? Is the fact it's done so many miles going to cause trouble later on? Try and be as impartial as you can :P

Many thanks for any help you may have,

Adam

When I was a student, I could just about afford a bus pass :excl:

If the car looks in good nick/well looked after then go for it, if not then don't bother.

As to what to look for when buying a GS300, I'm not sure, but I'm sure a GS300 owner will be along shortly to tell you what to look for.

Thanks for that Kam.

Cosmetically, the car could have passed for new. That's how unmarked it was. I was in the back on the test drive and it was so quiet.

In fact, the only problem I noticed was that one of the guages never seemed to be lit up. A blown bulb I take it?

Check that you can get insurance for it though first mate. I had several insurance companies who wouldn't cover me as I was under 30. That was for a sport model though, not sure if that made the difference.

Check the ball joints and calipers are ok, but it sounds like a good'un from what you said. How much is it for sale for?

Mate,

You also need to check that the car is mechanically sound as well, get an RAC/AA inspection, replacement Lexus parts ain't cheap, especially for someone in your situation (student). Don't think you can go to your local auto spare parts shop to pick up an exhaust, radiator etc- most parts are dealer only.

As Claire G says, check insurance.

Thanks for the reply.

Some more info.

Rang my insurers today, they want, get this, 300 quid extra. I thought that was amazing!

The bloke is Dad's best mate so when he says it's a goodun, it is. He's said we can have it now and pay him whenever which I liked :-)

To us, £1200. Dad has a Mazda 626 so I think I'd give him my car, sell his for 2 grand ish and have 800 quid as emergency money.

As an aside, I was amazed at how much kit there was on it. It makes you realise how much Ford rip you off when it comes to options.

I'm really tempted. I think they're great cars.

Thanks again,

Adam

I have a GS300 on an S plate which has covered 187,000 miles. Without wanting to tempt fate the car really is as good as new. The engine is quiet as a mouse, the ride is excellent and the ower is awesome.......135 MPH without a murmour(so I hear :-) ) I'd say go for it mate, you won't regret it.

Adam, if you feel you can afford the running costs of the car, then go for it mate!

Had my GS for about 11 months now, and it's easily the best car I've had - and that's a few :whistling:

It's also my first Japanese car... was into the Bavarian type before (you know what I mean :blush: ), and never thought I could beat that - until now :P

The cars everything you need as in comfort, speed (yep, the GS is a quick car!), reliability etc, etc, etc...

You will not be dissapointed... just remember these cars are pretty thirsty :crying::lol:

Oh, and it'll cost a packet in all the mod's you'll want to be doing to it :whistling::ph34r::lol:

Adam - like everyone has been saying, get the motor checked out. The only real points you'll want to keep out an eye out for are -

Front Ball Joints - Both Sides

Boot Seal - Leak's during heavy rain

Front Disc's - Warping

There are places around if you hunt for them that can get the parts required and can be a lot cheaper than Lexus Orginals.

170K on a MK I GS is nothing, the engine on these are virtually bulliet prove, over time the rad can cause problems but this has been replaced, also the cambelt can be a bit expensive to get down but this has been down also, so if your happy with the way the car runs and your sure on evrything, GO FOR IT.

I get about 400 miles to a tank - 70 ltres, that works out about 25 - 27 MPG and this covers part motorway and jams included, as well as some back roads.

Hope this helps

BR

Paul

Tony, Paul,

Thanks for the valuable help. It's looking more likely than it did yesterday so I'll keep you all informed of what happens.

I can't believe the tank is 70 litres. Mine's only 55 I think!

Anyway - thanks again to all of you. I'll report back when I have something interesting to say!

Cheers,

Adam

Hi Adski and Welcome to LOC :)

For how much your getting the car for i dont think you will get a better bargain for your money :driving: ,or piece of mind if you know the guy whos selling the car.

Sounds like the cars worth buying..

Speaking from past experience if you plan to be driving around in it most/every night then you will be putting £50 to £80 may be more a week in fuel in it.That will be the biggest running cost.

Every time you start the car you got to think its going to cost £5 per trip.

I dont mean to sound negative,just giving the facts.

I owned a 2.8 litre car as my first car and i was putting £50 a week in it back in 1988 when it was only around £1.80 per gallon.

Id say buy the car,enjoy it but dont let it bleed you dry!! as Steve says.

Good Luck..

Cheers chips.

Adski.

Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

I can sell you a nice set of Sport alloys for it to set you on your modding route cos you know you want to...

I'll look out for you cos you are only down the road from me and I know where there is possibly a spares car coming up.

Thanks again for all the advice and opinions. Unless it blows up spontaneously, the car is mine. It's been taken off sale and my Dad's mate is just waiting for his money. I just need to get rid of Dad's 626 which should be in The Loot from Tuesday and then I can get it!

A few questions though if you don't mind.

1) This will be my first ever automatic. I know how to drive them but is there anything GS specific I should know?

2) The badges on the car as well as the aerial is gold. But by sheer coincidence I saw another GS today! (Probably because I'm looking out for them) and the badges were silver. Does this mean the person beforehand has put his own gold badges on or does it mean something else?

3) You can't mention sport alloys. Anything with the word sport in, and I have to buy them!!!

Again, many thanks. I appreciate all of the help. I think I'll be joining proper if all goes to plan.

Cheers,

Adam

Thanks again for all the advice and opinions. Unless it blows up spontaneously, the car is mine. It's been taken off sale and my Dad's mate is just waiting for his money. I just need to get rid of Dad's 626 which should be in The Loot from Tuesday and then I can get it!

A few questions though if you don't mind.

1) This will be my first ever automatic. I know how to drive them but is there anything GS specific I should know?

2) The badges on the car as well as the aerial is gold. But by sheer coincidence I saw another GS today! (Probably because I'm looking out for them) and the badges were silver. Does this mean the person beforehand has put his own gold badges on or does it mean something else?

3) You can't mention sport alloys. Anything with the word sport in, and I have to buy them!!!

Again, many thanks. I appreciate all of the help. I think I'll be joining proper if all goes to plan.

Cheers,

Adam

Hi Adam, glad you're going ahead with it :driving:

1) It's automatic... just stick it in "D" and let the car do the rest :lol: . Some will say that leaving it in ECT (power) mode can slightly increase the MPG, also it's good for the gearbox to turn the overdrive off when "town" driving as this reduces wear on the clutch. Don't worry, just "D" is fine :winky:

2) The gold badges are an aftermarket option, silver are standard

3) Yes you do have to buy the Sport alloys, the original 16's are S :tsktsk: T!!!

Tony.

Thanks for that Tony.

One last thing. He never mentioned anything at all to do with the gearbox so I'm guessing it's never had any remedial work or been replaced or anything. The car's done 170 thou so am I going to have to take it easy on the box? I only ask because I know the first thing I'm dying to do is kickdown and see what I've been missing out on.

But then I'll love it so much I'll be doing it all the time! How durable are the auto boxes? Any foreseeable problems?

Adam

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links