Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Products For The New Car?

koshime

Heya,

Having gone through many posts...there is a baffling amount of tools to select from.

Would appreciate some advise on the minimal products required to protect, clean and maintain the new IS250 when it arrives...

1/ To wash - Sonus Wash Shampoo?

2/ Do i need a clay bar if its new?

3/ Polishes - such a large variety of Zaino, zymol, Mer, Klasse, Meguiars...all in variosu stages.

4/ Sealant glaze...

Your experet advice/experience woudl be much appreciated!

Best

My thoughts...

1. I use Autoglym bodywork shampoo conditioner... decent price and does not strip off the polish I add to car. I save my ££ for spending on a good carnuba wax.

2. I only clay bar once a year after the winter to get rid of oxidation and crap that builds up over winter.

3. Best stuff I've tried is "swissol"...(just not that cheap)... I use the pre- wax "cleaner fluid"...literally leaves the paint work soooo clean it squeaks. I then apply a layer of wax, can get about 3 coats of wax in without the pre-treatment. Shine is amazing and water beads for ages.

4. Never use sealant, just re-apply wax about every 2-3 months.

Also would recommend a meguires wash mitt.. sponges just hold the dirt and you end up scratching the car. Their drying cloth also excellent...a lot better (and gentler) on paint work than a natural Chamois.

My thoughts...

1. I use autoglym bodywork shampoo conditioner... decent price and does not strip off the polish I add to car. I save my ££ for spending on a good carnuba wax.

2. I only clay bar once a year after the winter to get rid of oxidation and crap that builds up over winter.

3. Best stuff I've tried is "swissol"...(just not that cheap)... I use the pre- wax "cleaner fluid"...literally leaves the paint work soooo clean it squeaks. I then apply a layer of wax, can get about 3 coats of wax in without the pre-treatment. Shine is amazing and water beads for ages.

4. Never use sealant, just re-apply wax about every 2-3 months.

Also would recommend a meguires wash mitt.. sponges just hold the dirt and you end up scratching the car. Their drying cloth also excellent...a lot better (and gentler) on paint work than a natural Chamois.

Are these wash mitts really that good ? I've often thought about buying one, but just can't let go off the sponge. :D

Oh BTW koshime, in my opinion I wouldn't bother with a claybarring for a good year - and also wouldn't bother with polishing for a good few months. You have a brand new car with brand new paint and brand new lacquer. There really shouldn't be any need to remove these coats providing you keep the car in a good clean condition. Stick to shampooing and waxing for the first few months, then have a look into polishing. :winky:

Are these wash mitts really that good ? I've often thought about buying one, but just can't let go off the sponge. :D

Oh BTW koshime, in my opinion I wouldn't bother with a claybarring for a good year - and also wouldn't bother with polishing for a good few months. You have a brand new car with brand new paint and brand new lacquer. There really shouldn't be any need to remove these coats providing you keep the car in a good clean condition. Stick to shampooing and waxing for the first few months, then have a look into polishing. :winky:

The wash mitts are excellent...even if the wife does slag me off for washing the car with them. The meguires one I've found to be the best, I tried a cheaper Halfords one but no where near as good.

Another thing to point out is that a lot of the polishes can be abrasive (Autoglym silicon resin polish etc)... not required on new paint work. I've use the Swissol wax etc partly as it is not abrasive...same with pre-wax cleaner, so it does not thin the paint / laquer or add "swirls to paint work... speaking of which always polish in straight lines...no circles.

Ah - i forgot to add that is the black IS250...black sticks to bird poo and dust like..errr I have no idea...but working at hammersmith hospital, my newly polished IS200 becomes grey...overnight! :( plus - although i dont intend to do much motorway miles.....the occasional drive back to devon or n wales. means ..chips magnet is apparent..(even with legal or slow driving...)

Anything else you woudl suggest mate?

Never found anything that will stop paint chips..a good layer of wax will help protect the paint work and should make it easier to clean.

I can recommend the guy that supplied my Swissol stuff...I just follow his suggestions when it comes to car car, always been spot on. He can also advise on what wax is best for your colour etc. Sure there is a Swissol one that is absolutely superb on Black cars, leave it looking like the surface is like oil (if that makes sense)...if you want his email address just PM me.

Ah - i forgot to add that is the black IS250...black sticks to bird poo and dust like..errr I have no idea...but working at hammersmith hospital, my newly polished IS200 becomes grey...overnight! :( plus - although i dont intend to do much motorway miles.....the occasional drive back to devon or n wales. means ..chips magnet is apparent..(even with legal or slow driving...)

Anything else you woudl suggest mate?

With reference to bird poo.......always carry a cloth !! :D If it's a kinda purple colour, it's acidic and will cut through your lacquer like a knife through butter.

You could carry a Meguiar's quick detailing mist for the dust barriers. It won't stop the dust settling, but it will help remove it - just remember, don't use this stuff to remove mud / dirt as it'll help scratch the beautiful black paintwork.

I only do approx. 90 miles per week and my Lex is a chip magnet - the only protective barrier you can have (apart from a car bra) is wax !! :winky:

Whatever you do dont wipe off bird muck with a cloth, you will run the risk of what ever stones / seeds/ shells are in there scratching your car... Do however take it off as soon as possible, use water to wash it off if possible, cloth is a last resort!.

If your car is dusty, dont just wipe it off, use water to get rid of it. Dust is abrasive adn will ruin any hard work you may have put into cleaning the car.

I would definatly second the wash mit. they produce ZERO swirl marks if used properly and I just can not fault them!

clay should not be required if you look after you car regulary.

I recommend Klass AIO, SG and the shampoo that goes withit.

I can also recommend investing in a silicon blade to remove the residual water AFTER washing, and then microfibre towels for the finish. Forget a leather, whilst they are good for removing water, they are no good at preventing scratches whilst drying. The micro fibre will at least have enough pile to pick the dirt up :)

I have used these products on my Cars from new and they stand the test of time!. I am sure a few on here who have seen the scratches that were on my last car will notice a distinct lack of them now I follow the able guidelines :) It is unfortunate that Lexus seem to have used teh softest paint they could find!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links