Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I just had my car B serviced, but my mechanic advized against changing the transmission fluid as he said draining often clogged the filter.

What do you think guys is it safer to leave it alone? or would you recommend changing it?

My Mk.2 had a 40K "B" service at Lexus Cardiff on Tuesday. Automatic transmission fluid was changed, as was the differential oil.

I was told by a reputable (non lex) auto trans company that as long as the oil is clean and clear and unburnt, then it can be left as there is a possibilty of contamination on changing it.

HOWEVER, having said that, there are now a number of auto trans companies that will disconnect your autofluid pipe from the cooler, connect both sides to a pump of some description and change ALL the fluid without contamination.

Just what I have been told - I have no experience of the job!

Of course a Lex dealer will change it as per servicing schedules - no question

i would reccomend having it changed properly. On cars that are a bit old you will be surprised at the new lease of life it gives it. If they fear the filter getting clogged then get them to change it. To fully change the fluid out though is a massive job not just empty it and fill it gain as the torque converter stays full and only about a 1/3 of the fluid will come out.

i would reccomend having it changed properly. On cars that are a bit old you will be surprised at the new lease of life it gives it. If they fear the filter getting clogged then get them to change it. To fully change the fluid out though is a massive job not just empty it and fill it gain as the torque converter stays full and only about a 1/3 of the fluid will come out.

My car 103k on the clock and has a full Lexus service history up to now, so I would of thought it has had the tranny fluid changed at least twice. Maybe my mechanic is being over cautious?

My car 103k on the clock and has a full Lexus service history up to now, so I would of thought it has had the tranny fluid changed at least twice. Maybe my mechanic is being over cautious?

It's not really a filter, just a mesh screen. I would say it's worth doing a drain and again at the next service as a drain only changes about 1/3 of the total fluid in the transmission. Also worth dropping the pan and cleaning/changing the filter as the vehicle has done 100k.

It's not really a filter, just a mesh screen. I would say it's worth doing a drain and again at the next service as a drain only changes about 1/3 of the total fluid in the transmission. Also worth dropping the pan and cleaning/changing the filter as the vehicle has done 100k.

Yeah that is what I meant. Its not a job for someone without a bit of confidence and a decent tool kit and some facilities. AFAIK you are meant to run the car with the pan off to get all the oil out of the converter. Draining the oil and then doing it again at the next service will help the average car no ends though.

My Mk.2 had a 40K "B" service at Lexus Cardiff on Tuesday.  Automatic transmission fluid was changed, as was the differential oil.

Why did they do that? It's not in the schedule.

Ah, probably me misinterpreting the sheet. Twelve quid's worth of ATF on the bill, would this be the stuff used when replacing the rear diff oil (which is on the schedule)?

My Mk.2 had a 40K "B" service at Lexus Cardiff on Tuesday.  Automatic transmission fluid was changed, as was the differential oil.

Why did they do that? It's not in the schedule.

Ah, probably me misinterpreting the sheet. Twelve quid's worth of ATF on the bill, would this be the stuff used when replacing the rear diff oil (which is on the schedule)?

AFT shouldn't be used in the diff. As you say maybe a misprint or they topped up the transmission or the power steering which also uses AFT.

The T-IV fluid is expensive stuff, even a transmission drain and refil would have cost £40.

I'm putting it into Lexus Cardiff next week for fluid change. Thanks for the input guy's.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links