Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

Took my car to the local supermarket this morning and returned to find that someone had slightly scraped by front bumper which, for some reason, caused the front lip to dropped off!!! :crybaby:

In terms of the front lip, I think the previous owner has used some black rubber stuff to hold the front spoiler in.

I could take it to lexus in Woodford to repair but it probably cost quite a lot.

Does anyone know of good but cheap bodyshop along in the M11 or a tip in removing the black rubbery glue??

Any tips please?? :)

Thanks

Hi

Took my car to the local supermarket this morning and returned to find that someone had slightly scraped by front bumper which, for some reason, caused the front lip to dropped off!!! :crybaby:

In terms of the front lip, I think the previous owner has used some black rubber stuff to hold the front spoiler in.

I could take it to lexus in Woodford to repair but it probably cost quite a lot.

Does anyone know of good but cheap bodyshop along in the M11 or a tip in removing the black rubbery glue??

Thanks

OUCH !

I was waiting in Asda and this guy reversed into a brand new Merc next to me, looked back and drove off as I jumped out the car to examine the damage, was only minor but still visible...Could have been my car so as soon as the owner came I gave him the details of the offending vehicle he was well pi$$ed as he only got the car a few days ago..

If its the same black stuff they stick bodykits on with its a bit of a mission mate but try a hairdryer and a scraper if not I will ask my mate how he got his off in the end. I wouldnt take it to main dealer personally im sure there are some good bodyshops around.

I go to Sainburys every Saturday and park in the same space, the day i sold the IS i parked up in the same spot with the Peugeot

I was so luck as that time a guy in a people carrier parked across reversed straight back into me, he got out and balmed it on having 4 kids in the car

To which i replied "I couldnt give a flyin **** how many kids are in the car, you should take a lot more care if you're carrying kids"

Hi

Thanks

OUCH !

I was waiting in Asda and this guy reversed into a brand new Merc next to me, looked back and drove off as I jumped out the car to examine the damage, was only minor but still visible...Could have been my car so as soon as the owner came I gave him the details of the offending vehicle he was well pi$$ed as he only got the car a few days ago..

If its the same black stuff they stick bodykits on with its a bit of a mission mate but try a hairdryer and a scraper if not I will ask my mate how he got his off in the end. I wouldnt take it to main dealer personally im sure there are some good bodyshops around.

Yes, its looks like black rubbery glue which is quite hard and tough. If you can find out how I could remove it I would be grateful. Could the hairdrier burn the paintwork as well????

Not sure how to remove the bonding glue. The lip should be fixed with a couple of screws under the lip and the bonding glue.

You could try a hairdrier, don't get it too close and it shouldn't affect the paintwork and don't heat it up too quickly. Paint is designed to stand up to high heat, feel the temperature of your roof when the sun has been on it for a couple of hours in the summer.

You will probably still need some chemical to fully remove it, don't know what to use without damaging the paint.

Hi,

Just rang my mate who had the rubbery stuff on his car, he said he used a hairdryer and a heat gun, some tools like a scraper got it all gooey and removed it that way, took some time he says. Be a little carefull with the heat gun though mate but the hairdryer will be fine just be patient.

As Colin says you may need some chemicals to get the remaining bits off and Autoglym tar remover may get the small bits of at the end combined with some elbow grease but in your case you may need something stronger worth a try if you got some lying around or pop into a bodyshop and ask them.

Hope you get it sorted....

Thanks Guys

Colin - My GS sport has two screws that hold the froo sent lip to the front spoiler. Is this common. I only ask as I think I've seen other GS Sports without the two screws???

I'm going to have a closer inspection to see how effective the hairdryer approach is. If too difficult I might ask Chips Away to give me a quote (a friend has used them recentl and they did a good job a bumper scrape)

Thank you all for your advice, when the rain eases I will use your advice and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links