Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

60k Service

SHAHZ

Im due for my 60k/6year service soon and was told by the dealer that i would be needing a timing belt change :duh: :huh: i thought that timing belt was due at 100k, the car has just about done 55k, has anyone else had theirs changed so early??

TIA B)

• 3 months later...
Ahhh, thanks mate :)

I enquired about this when quoted for a 60,000 mile service. It took some arguing the case before the dealer agreed that I might be right.

My book, for a 2000Y GS300SE says 100,000 miles before needing a belt change, but, I underatand that Lexus moved the service spec to 9000 mile intervals for later models and specified 63000 miles for a belt change.

This puts £300 on top of the usula charges.

Did Lexus lower the interval because of problems or did later models have a larger wear and tear rate?

it was the other way around. Pre 1999 it was 9k service intervals and 63k cam belt, 1999 + it is 10k service intervals and 100k cambelt.

also pre 1994 it was 6k service intervals and 60k cam belt.

Basically they keep extending the service intervals to stay inline with other manufacturers and pressure from large fleet company in this country as they try to save costs.

Hello fellow Lexuns

Intrested to read of another wary lexun regarding recco from mftr reps,In the early mark 1 lexus ls 400 owners handbook ,it actually says and I quote; "unless the vehicle as been used as a taxi or delivery vehicle it is not nessacary to change the cambelt at all". And armed with that info I told my Lexus dealer not to change it,he insisted in changing it so I went on to Lexus Uk who agreed that the hand book said as much but a new engine was £5000 so you do the only thing that any sane person would do you change it.

some years later as some people will note from a earlier contribution my cambelt went for an entirly different reason 10k after renewal and no damage occured in the engine, because there is a safe clearance between pistons and valves .So there you have it ,it takes 10 years of owning a Lexus to gain all these valuble snippets but along the way you pay for peace of mind. : :whistling:

• 9 months later...

I had a 60,000 mile service did on my 2001 IS300 today. Man it was $1582.73. Woooooooo, they said it will not be another major service until 120,000 miles. It rides much better now, i guess I can't complain now, eventhough I'm broke.

I had a 60,000 mile service did on my 2001 IS300 today. Man it was $1582.73. Woooooooo, they said it will not be another major service until 120,000 miles. It rides much better now, i guess I can't complain now, eventhough I'm broke.

OUCH....and i thought You lot over the pond always got a better deal. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links